Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:00 PM   #626
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

http://m.pocketnow.com/2012/12/04/ne...ch-sensitivity

Could it really be a software issue?! The touch sensitivity issue may have hope after all!!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:33 PM   #627
Loves2spoon
macrumors 65816

Can someone post some screen shots of what the SMS app looks like and the messaging screen please. Is it black like the galaxy s3 or white like the iPhone?
Loves2spoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:49 PM   #628
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2spoon View Post
Can someone post some screen shots of what the SMS app looks like and the messaging screen please. Is it black like the galaxy s3 or white like the iPhone?
Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-04-15-48-03.png
Views:	20
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	381493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-04-15-47-49.png
Views:	17
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	381494  
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:38 PM   #629
Loves2spoon
macrumors 65816

Is it really 5-6 week delivery?!
Loves2spoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:55 PM   #630
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JUICEMAN View Post
http://m.pocketnow.com/2012/12/04/ne...ch-sensitivity

Could it really be a software issue?! The touch sensitivity issue may have hope after all!!
I guess I'll be the guniea pig since I seem to be one of the few people here who has the guts to root his phone and flash stuff

Edit: the 3 pages of posts on the xda thread almost all say they noticed an increase in sensitivity but one common issue is the screen is unresponsive for about 10 seconds after a reboot. I think I can live with that since I don't reboot often and increased touch sensitivity is definitely worth it. Flashing now.

Last edited by 3bs; Dec 4, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:01 PM   #631
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I guess I'll be the guniea pig since I seem to be one of the few people here who has the guts to root his phone and flash stuff
Hey I've done it before lol just been lazy. I will definitely do it if this works! Let us know it would be much appreciated!
THE JUICEMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:24 PM   #632
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Hey I've done it before lol just been lazy. I will definitely do it if this works! Let us know it would be much appreciated!
First impressions: the screen is definitely way more responsive now! First time I tapped an app it actually thought I wanted to edit it lol. I think that was because I didn't let the phone settle for at least a few seconds after booting up. Now when I tap apps that doesn't happen so I don't think it's too sensitive.

I tried tapping with my nail but that didn't work. Someone on the xda thread said it did after flashing this fix.

I'll keep using it for a few days and see how it goes.

Regarding rooting, come on it's pretty fast and simple if you've done it before then what's really holding you back? http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...lock-root.html
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:40 PM   #633
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
First impressions: the screen is definitely way more responsive now! First time I tapped an app it actually thought I wanted to edit it lol. I think that was because I didn't let the phone settle for at least a few seconds after booting up. Now when I tap apps that doesn't happen so I don't think it's too sensitive.

I tried tapping with my nail but that didn't work. Someone on the xda thread said it did after flashing this fix.

Regarding rooting, come on it's pretty fast and simple if you've done it before then what's really holding you back? http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...lock-root.html
Great!! How is pinch to zoom? And I'll use the tool kit for the Nexus 4 to root. Maybe this weekend. I'm just tired and lazy haha. That's what's stopping me tonight. But it is really tempting because the screen dullness is noticeable. Thanks for the first impressions. This is excellent news!

Also I expect a fix from Google ASAP!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:51 PM   #634
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Great!! How is pinch to zoom? And I'll use the tool kit for the Nexus 4 to root. Maybe this weekend. I'm just tired and lazy haha. That's what's stopping me tonight. But it is really tempting because the screen dullness is noticeable. Thanks for the first impressions. This is excellent news!

Also I expect a fix from Google ASAP!
I honestly didn't use pinch to zoom that often so I don't have anything to compare it to but it's working fine right now. I just tried it in the Gmail app and Chrome.

The funny thing is that this fix is just reverting to an older touch driver.

Any ideas what ROM you'll be flashing or do you just want to root and stay on the stock ROM?

----------

I just powered up my GS3 to flash a custom ROM my friend told me about and I can't believe how bad the screen is compared to my Nexus 4

The colours are really washed out and oversaturated. It's not like I didn't know this but I actually liked it when I moved from a 4S to the GS3 but going back from the Nexus 4 is a different story.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:56 PM   #635
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
I honestly didn't use pinch to zoom that often so I don't have anything to compare it to but it's working fine right now. I just tried it in the Gmail app and Chrome.

Any ideas what ROM you'll be flashing or do you just want to root and stay on the stock ROM?

----------

I just powered up my GS3 to flash a custom ROM my friend told me about and I can't believe how bad the screen is compared to my Nexus 4

The colours are really washed out and oversaturated. It's not like I didn't know this but I actually liked it when I moved from a 4S to the GS3 but going back from the Nexus 4 is a different story.
I don't have either device but the screen is washed out AND over saturated? Aren't they pretty much the opposite?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:59 PM   #636
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I don't have either device but the screen is washed out AND over saturated? Aren't they pretty much the opposite?
I guess I think one of them means something other than what it is? I think I mean over saturated if they're opposite to each other.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:34 PM   #637
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:

----------

Cyanogenmod is no where near stable yet and that is what I used in the past. So I'm not sure if I would need a ROM. I'm pretty happy with stock 4.2 as of now. But that touch sensitivity hack a lone would be worth rooting like I said before.

Question: if you are rooted with a custom ROM what is the process when Google sends out an OTA? flash back to your back up of stock that you made? Then you can get the OTA just fine?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:37 PM   #638
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Cyanogenmod is no where near stable yet and that is what I used in the past. So I'm not sure if I would need a ROM. I'm pretty happy with stock 4.2 as of now. But that touch sensitivity hack a lone would be worth rooting like I said before.

Question: if you are rooted with a custom ROM what is the process when Google sends out an OTA? flash back to your back up of stock that you made? Then you can get the OTA just fine?
I'm actually not sure because I never bothered. I preferred running custom ROMs. I think you can't get OTA updates if you have a custom recovery which you probably will if you're using custom ROMs. I can look into this for you if you like.

I'm using AOKP and it is perfectly stable (for me). I use it as my daily driver and haven't had any major issues. The small ones have been fixed so far.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:55 PM   #639
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm actually not sure because I never bothered. I preferred running custom ROMs. I think you can't get OTA updates if you have a custom recovery which you probably will if you're using custom ROMs. I can look into this for you if you like.

I'm using AOKP and it is perfectly stable (for me). I use it as my daily driver and haven't had any major issues. The small ones have been fixed so far.
I take a look around and do some research before I ROM. I know just rooting won't prevent me from getting OTA'S though.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:03 PM   #640
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
I take a look around and do some research before I ROM. I know just rooting won't prevent me from getting OTA'S though.
Yeah I think you just lose root after updating but you can easily reroot after.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #641
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
3bs is right about not getting updates with a custom recovery installed so in theory if you reinstalled stock recovery and your backup of stock ROM you'd be good to go. I had been running Paranoid Android on my N7 for quite a while and didn't have a backup of stock but wanted to check out 4.2 so I just restored to stock JB using the Mac Nexus 7 toolkit over on XDA. Looks like you'd have everything you'd need to get the job done for the Nexus 4 here.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:17 AM   #642
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
3bs is right about not getting updates with a custom recovery installed so in theory if you reinstalled stock recovery and your backup of stock ROM you'd be good to go. I had been running Paranoid Android on my N7 for quite a while and didn't have a backup of stock but wanted to check out 4.2 so I just restored to stock JB using the Mac Nexus 7 toolkit over on XDA. Looks like you'd have everything you'd need to get the job done for the Nexus 4 here.
Thanks!!!!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:49 AM   #643
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
I'm on 2.54 PA and my Nexus 7 won't hold a charge, the battery is stuck at 0 and it turns off as soon as I unplug it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'll try going back to my stock ROM backup and see if it persists. As of yet I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:45 PM   #644
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm on 2.54 PA and my Nexus 7 won't hold a charge, the battery is stuck at 0 and it turns off as soon as I unplug it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'll try going back to my stock ROM backup and see if it persists. As of yet I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.
Anymore impressions of the touch sensitivity hack that you did?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:01 PM   #645
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Anymore impressions of the touch sensitivity hack that you did?
No sorry I decided to use my S3 for today.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:49 PM   #646
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No sorry I decided to use my S3 for today.
Oooh ok cool. Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:08 PM   #647
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Why on earth are they listed as "in stock" and delivery within 5 business days?

Not cool Google.
Any news? Itching to get my hands on one
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:40 PM   #648
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:

I used the Nexus 4 toolkit to root and am a total noob when it comes to this stuff. But could you walk me through flashing this fix? I want to try it out myself and see if it helps. But I heard that it might mess with swiftkey, so how would I go about uninstalling it as well?
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:26 PM   #649
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
I used the Nexus 4 toolkit to root and am a total noob when it comes to this stuff. But could you walk me through flashing this fix? I want to try it out myself and see if it helps. But I heard that it might mess with swiftkey, so how would I go about uninstalling it as well?
Ok so first of all do you have a custom recovery installed? The two ones I know are TWRP and CWM. I'm using CWM because I'm familiar with it.

Most custom ROMs have an option to enter recovery from power menu or do it the old fashioned way if you're on stock by turning phone off > press and hold power + volume down until you get to fastboot mode. Use volume keys choose Recovery mode.

Now select "backup and restore" > "backup". This will be your most important backup because it's the stock one. You're doing this in case anything goes wrong when you flash the fix. After it's done go back to the main menu by choose "go back" then select "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then "0/" then "Download" or wherever you put the file you downloaded. You can see where it is using a file browsing app (I use Root Explorer). Select the zip pick Yes when it asks you to confirm. When you're done navigate to the main menu and reboot your phone.

I have an app called ROM Manager which makes managing your backups easier and you can rename them so you know what they are. If you're backing up directly from CWM the backups are just labelled with the date and time of the backup so you don't know what the backup is until you restore it or remember what it is. ROM Manager also has an option inside it to reboot into recovery mode which could make things easier for you. I suggest you using it. When you open the app you'll get a pop up of SU (superuser) asking if you want to grant the app root access, say yes. This will happen whenever any app tries to get root access and you can pick for SU to remember the option.

If any of that is unclear let me know either here or via PM. I'm going to bed right now though.

Edit: in the xda there's a zip file you can flash in recovery to revert the changes but if it doesn't work you always have your nandroid backup to go back to. Just go into recovery mode and restore the backup or use ROM Manager to restore the backup.

Edit: xda thread for the files http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2028289

Last edited by 3bs; Dec 6, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:10 AM   #650
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Any news? Itching to get my hands on one
Still nothing.

It's a bit of moulded plastic and they can't even get those out quickly.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android, google, nexus, nexus4