Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
So i bought iTunes match to make a backup of my collection and to get higher quality songs and so far loving it. However i thought that the way it worked was that I could stream my itunes collection from the cloud on my ipad and or iphone without having to download all the songs and take up space on my device.

However it seems when I pick a song to stream over the cloud it will doanload that song locally. This isn't what I wanted as I want the songs to always 24/7 stream from the cloud like google music or MOG / Spotify does.

Is this possible or did I just waste $25.00?

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I turned mine on and played 3 songs and under my usage Music still says "No Data"

How did you setup the iphone or ipad? When I play a song it downloads it to the device I have 300megs of songs now on the device from streaming them?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Not sure if I did anything different. I generally don't leave it on so it may be different after an extended period of time. I am sure it has to cache some of the songs.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
So i bought iTunes match to make a backup of my collection and to get higher quality songs and so far loving it. However i thought that the way it worked was that I could stream my itunes collection from the cloud on my ipad and or iphone without having to download all the songs and take up space on my device.

However it seems when I pick a song to stream over the cloud it will doanload that song locally. This isn't what I wanted as I want the songs to always 24/7 stream from the cloud like google music or MOG / Spotify does.

If I'm not mistaken this functionality has been added in the 6.1 betas. I haven't used 6.1 personally yet to confirm however.

I can confirm that on iOS devices, since inception there has been no way to stream an iTunes Match song without downloading, except in some of the iOS 5 betas that came out before iTunes Match actually launched.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011

Oh good, I want to ask you a question about this. Why do you want it to work that way??

I've never understood all of the people complaining that it streams the first play and stores the song locally. You're getting an instant play (upside of streaming) and saving on your data plan by having the song locally rather than needing to download it each time(downside of streaming).

It's the best of both worlds, so why do you care that it isn't streaming each time???

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
People, this has been discussed numerous times.....it DOES download the tracks played and does NOT stream. Only iTunes and Apple TV stream using iTunes Match.
If your music says 'no data', it's a bug where the music appears in 'other' instead! Ypu can also see this in iTunes on the coloured usage bar. Play a song and go to settings-general-about-songs. The song count goes up here after each play. I can confirm on iOS 6.1 beta 3, the music still downloads and not stream only, but you can delete individual songs after played (downloaded or 'locally cached' - whatever spin you want to put on it!)
To the thread starter, you should have read the details of iTunes Match a little closer. Streaming is not stated anywhere. Some pre-purchase reading would have been beneficial before you signed up to the service.
I too wish there was a true 'stream only' aspect to iTunes Match. Maybe they will do this in time.

----------

I am on iPhone 5 and with iOS 6.1 and iTunes match.

it does stream music once song is played its removed from the phone. I think this is awesome!!!

It is not removed from the phone. Incorrect!

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
People, this has been discussed numerous times.....it DOES download the tracks played and does NOT stream. Only iTunes and Apple TV stream using iTunes Match.
If your music says 'no data', it's a bug where the music appears in 'other' instead! Ypu can also see this in iTunes on the coloured usage bar. Play a song and go to settings-general-about-songs. The song count goes up here after each play. I can confirm on iOS 6.1 beta 3, the music still downloads and not stream only, but you can delete individual songs after played (downloaded or 'locally cached' - whatever spin you want to put on it!)
To the thread starter, you should have read the details of iTunes Match a little closer. Streaming is not stated anywhere. Some pre-purchase reading would have been beneficial before you signed up to the service.
I too wish there was a true 'stream only' aspect to iTunes Match. Maybe they will do this in time.

----------

It is not removed from the phone. Incorrect!

I just played a song that i haven't downloaded and then when it finished I play a different song that i did download and it shows the little square box for me to download the song. It doesn't stay on the phone.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I just played a song that i haven't downloaded and then when it finished I play a different song that i did download and it shows the little square box for me to download the song. It doesn't stay on the phone.

The download arrow is a bug, it remains even if the song is played and downloaded in the background. Sometimes too, if you press this arrow to download a not previously played song, it downloads (you can see it) and then the arrow reappears. :(

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Yeah the reason I stated was I have over 20 gigs of music I wanted access to all of them all the time and I have an almost full iphone :( So instead I guess I need a MOG or Spotify account to do this I guess currently.

tangrets

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
i have no idea what you guys are all on about I have iTunes Match, and iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1 and I am able to stream all of my music from iCloud there is no music on my phone at all except the music I purchased via my iPhone all of my other music purchased on my computer doesn't download to my phone unless I turn off use iTunes Match in my general;music;iTunes Match is set to off and go into iTunes & app stores and turn off auto downloads of music and you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.