Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Greetings everyone!

First time poster here.

About 8 months ago, I bought a brand new and sealed iPad 2, 32GB Wi-Fi model. I've had a few problems with it ever since.

The home button is recessed. A lot. I mean, it's not clicky as my iPhone 5, or my brother's iPad 2, or my mother's iPad 4. It's recessed. Sometimes I can't even hear the click. :/

The 30-pin connector has suffered a chip on the left edge. It's barely noticable. But it's there. I've had it in a case from day 1 and have protected it like it's gold. I have no idea how it got there. :(

The volume rocker is a bit loose. Is it glued on or what? I don't think it's supposed to be like that. I can't wiggle it from side to side entirely, but it feels loose.

What happens next? Do I have to send it to the store to get it repaired? It's not an Apple store I bought it from. Do I get a refurbished 32GB Wi-Fi? That particular iPad 2 model is discontinued.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Greetings everyone!

First time poster here.

About 8 months ago, I bought a brand new and sealed iPad 2, 32GB Wi-Fi model. I've had a few problems with it ever since.

The home button is recessed. A lot. I mean, it's not clicky as my iPhone 5, or my brother's iPad 2, or my mother's iPad 4. It's recessed. Sometimes I can't even hear the click. :/

The 30-pin connector has suffered a chip on the left edge. It's barely noticable. But it's there. I've had it in a case from day 1 and have protected it like it's gold. I have no idea how it got there. :(

The volume rocker is a bit loose. Is it glued on or what? I don't think it's supposed to be like that. I can't wiggle it from side to side entirely, but it feels loose.

What happens next? Do I have to send it to the store to get it repaired? It's not an Apple store I bought it from. Do I get a refurbished 32GB Wi-Fi? That particular iPad 2 model is discontinued.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

I doubt you'll get a free replacement iPad for a button that's not "clicky" enough, or a barely noticable chip or a volume rocker that is a little loose. But you could check with Apple and see if it's still under warranty. Otherwise, you could check the out of warranty replacement costs. Should be cheaper than a new one. They keep replacement stock, even if the model is discontinued. My daughter recently got a replacement for her several generation iPod.

Clint

iPad2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks a lot for your answers.

I live in Scandinavia. We are not fortunate enough to have Apple stores around these parts :eek:

It's 8 months old. Here we have a 24 month warranty.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Thanks a lot for your answers.

I live in Scandinavia. We are not fortunate enough to have Apple stores around these parts :eek:

It's 8 months old. Here we have a 24 month warranty.

You could try calling the Apple Support line for your country, and see what they say. They must have a process in place to get stuff fixed...

Clint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.