Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Former Apple Employee Loren Brichter is Excited About Jony Ive's Promotion

Loren Brichter, the creator of Letterpress and Tweetie, sat down with GigaOm to talk about developing iOS apps, the App Store, and more.

Brichter was a member of Scott Forstall's iPhone team early on, and though he didn't have much to say about Forstall's ouster from Apple, Brichter did have positive things to say about Ive's promotion:
Quote:
"I'm excited about Ive" taking over the Human Interface group at Apple, where he will lead both industrial design and the design of the software that runs on it. "He has good taste." He paused. "But more important than good taste, he has the ability to" -- he points to the MacBook Air in front of me -- "he's true to the materials, to the medium he's working in. One of my complaints about design of iOS is it's doing things that aren't true to the hardware."

"My design goals with Letterpress were to do things that the graphics hardware was really good at. [Ive] is the kind of person who has the same aesthetic. It's not superficial -- he'd think about [the design of iOS and an iOS device] all the way through" not just make something that looked good, he said.
Brichter also disclosed that Letterpress has been downloaded more than 1 million times. Additionally, he developed his own version of the user interface framework -- bypassing Apple's UIKit -- because he "wanted to try."

Article Link: Former Apple Employee Loren Brichter is Excited About Jony Ive's Promotion
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Yes, his promotion makes me excited for iOS 7 and the forthcoming major OS X release. Although I wonder how much he has time to change. These Apple operating systems are large ships to turn around, even when it "just" comes to the user interface. The entire design language has to come together and this is no small feat to pull off. I hope iOS 7 will at least seed Ive's idea for a modern operating system design though.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
Yes, his promotion makes me excited for iOS 7 and the forthcoming major OS X release. Although I wonder how much he has time to change. These Apple operating systems are large ships to turn around, even when it "just" comes to the user interface. The entire design language has to come together and this is no small feat to pull off. I hope iOS 7 will at least seed Ive's idea for a modern operating system design though.
I'm confident that Apple will get it done I think they're going to do great things with XPC once it gets to iOS.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:22 PM   #4
martial900
macrumors newbie

I want Ive to make iOS become another reason why we all get the next iPhone. I mean when I saw a windows 8 phone the UI was looking good. And iOS has been stuck on this Android 2.3.5-like hiatus. Yeah we got iOS 6 but its all Forstall appearance that we all grew fond of because art we thought stayed in phone's physicality not UI as well. Ive needs to make our fonts, keyboards and et cetera look jawdropping.
martial900 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
I'm all for I've but lets not forget what Forstall has done for Apple and iOS. It's as if suddenly everyone is like "holy crap, iOS UI is garbage, OS X is garbage."
illegalprelude is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Please ohh please fix the iPhone App Store!
TouchMint.com is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Please ohh please fix the iPhone App Store!
This.

I am not sure though we will see radical changes in iOS 7 which is just 6 months away.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:37 PM   #8
dizastor
macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the design evolution of iOS is no longer (For)stalled?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Eriden
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I'm all for Ive but lets not forget what Forstall has done for Apple and iOS. It's as if suddenly everyone is like "holy crap, iOS UI is garbage, OS X is garbage."
The original iOS interface was revolutionary for its time. It has been slow to evolve since.

And though the skeuomorphic stuff has its place, a backlash is developing against too much of it being used.

Forstall is certainly a forward-thinker like Steve was. Still, you have to watch who you're squishing on your way to the top. Had Steve lived another 10 years, we might have seen Apple CEO Forstall in action. Apple is Cook's baby now, and Forstall apparently made enough enemies that synergy in management was more important than whatever vision Forstall brought to the company.
Eriden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:45 PM   #10
Zyphras
Banned

I don't see radical changes to the current springboard icon system. It's just too iconic now, and also, I think, psychologically satisfying to have these nuggets of software called Apps in these shiny touchable blocks.

Pinstripes in the Settings app and wherever else it is needs to go.
Zyphras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:57 PM   #11
The Bulge
Banned

Here comes Jonny and solves all your problems. Don't be naive people.
The Bulge is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:59 PM   #12
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphras View Post
I don't see radical changes to the current springboard icon system. It's just too iconic now.
I don't know if that pun was intended, but I loled.
ConCat is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Mystic386
macrumors regular

It's clear Ive has good taste and vision. Good taste had been disappearing lately for tacky.

Ive is also a believer in good design right through.

I'm optimistic about the future with him in charge.

I don't expect to see him releasing something half baked.
Mystic386 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
I hope iOS 7 will at least seed Ive's idea for a modern operating system design though.
I would also love to see some more serious harmonization efforts between the iOS and OS X design - beginning with the removal of skeuomorphism used in the contact and calendar apps for OS X.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:42 PM   #15
FooMan2011
macrumors member

Can someone with a little more knowledge please explain how ios 6 isn't true to the hardware? His rant made no sence.
FooMan2011 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by martial900 View Post
I want Ive to make iOS become another reason why we all get the next iPhone. I mean when I saw a windows 8 phone the UI was looking good. And iOS has been stuck on this Android 2.3.5-like hiatus. Yeah we got iOS 6 but its all Forstall appearance that we all grew fond of because art we thought stayed in phone's physicality not UI as well. Ive needs to make our fonts, keyboards and et cetera look jawdropping.
Check this out: http://www.nngroup.com/articles/wind...d-power-users/

One thing I hope is Ive doesn't go too flat, and especially doesn't incorporate too much low information density which basically is a bunch of wasted space. It might look nice but what does it do for you?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:50 PM   #17
jreed91
macrumors member

I don't think it will be so much Ive but who the people he brings in. I mean who wouldn't want to work under Sir Ive. He's a great bonus for attracting talent.
jreed91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:01 PM   #18
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Cool

iphone5s | iOS 7 - Jony Ive's all round design

Am so saving up for this
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:56 PM   #19
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I agree iOS tries to do too much for the hardware in several respects. The recent advances in processor speed has hidden those limitations combined with the increase in device uptake with each generation. On the other hand the fact the 3GS had such long legs and is still "fully" supported is surprising and cool. This may explain why there is a version of iOS for EACH AND EVERY device style. Optimization and presumably imperceptible truncation of some processor intensive tasks in the lower end hardware.

Rocketman
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:01 PM   #20
d4dawg
macrumors newbie

I'm curious, what car(s) does Ive drive/own? Not a Dodge RAM pickup, I hope.
d4dawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:12 PM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4dawg View Post
I'm curious, what car(s) does Ive drive/own? Not a Dodge RAM pickup, I hope.
Bentley's and Aston Martin's:

Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:18 PM   #22
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Bentley's and Aston Martin's
No front plates of course.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:49 PM   #23
moderately
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizastor View Post
Perhaps the design evolution of iOS is no longer (For)stalled?
Oh, where is my down vote button?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:36 PM   #24
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Bentley's and Aston
2 great looking cars. I wonder what car forstall drives
dazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:08 PM   #25
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Check this out: http://www.nngroup.com/articles/wind...d-power-users/

One thing I hope is Ive doesn't go too flat, and especially doesn't incorporate too much low information density which basically is a bunch of wasted space. It might look nice but what does it do for you?
Exactly. lack of information density is one things I hate most about WP8. Aesthetics is important but at the expense of a functional UI. You need both.
smulji is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion