Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Hey guys,

I just got a PowerMac G5. The previous owner took out the DVD drive and the PSU, RAM and the GPU.
He said that the machine didn't start anymore.

So, I'm left with the Mainboard, the original fans and the CPUs.
Interestingly, this is the 2.7Ghz Water-cooled machine. Seems to be very rare!
I am trying to find out what parts still work on the machine.
My first guess was a leak in the WC-system. But I can't see any physical damage there.
Is there any way to test the Mainboard or the CPUs if they still work?
The 2.7Ghz Wc'd CPUs are worth quite some $$.

An idea would be to take the Waterblocks out, and let water flow through them. If I see a leak, the case is clear. Regular leak-testing stuff.
Can you guys help me a bit?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I don't think you won a jackpot by getting this computer. For $200 you can buy a working late-2005 quad 2.5Ghz pci-e, so if you wanted to get your dual 2.7 working, you'd probably spend more cash than for how much you'd be able to sell it.

Even if there was no leak (AFAIK, in DP 2.7s, there was a LCS system by Panasonic, which used to be quite prone to break) it doesn't necessarily mean that the mobo/cpu is fine. If the reason why it died was a PSU failure, it is possible that it damaged the other component too.
My advice? Sell it for parts. Perhaps you could try to convince guys at your local :apple: store to test the mobo and CPUs for you...

Last edited:

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I don't think you won a jackpot by getting this computer. For $200 you can buy a working late-2005 quad 2.5Ghz pci-e, so if you wanted to get your dual 2.7 working, you'd probably spend more cash than for how much you'd be able to sell it.

Even if there was no leak (AFAIK, in DP 2.7s, there was a LCS system by Panasonic, which used to be quite prone to break) it doesn't necessarily mean that the mobo/cpu is fine. If the reason why it died was a PSU failure, it is possible that it damaged the other component too.
My advice? Sell it for parts. Perhaps you could try to convince guys at your local :apple: store to test the mobo and CPUs for you...

I actually only need the case itself. I was very surprised that the owner left some things in it - he said he doesen't know if they work.
You sure the system is made by Panasonic? It says Delphi on some of the parts.
My plan is to sell the Mac in parts, except for the case. I just want to test the WC-system.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
if it's Delphi, you're lucky. Delphi systems were more reliable and less prone to leaks. But i tell you, if something went wrong with the PSU, CPU and mobo are probably screwed too. Happened to me personally.

Have it tested and if it's OK, sell the parts - you'll get some dough for the CPU, as they're hard to get these days. You're building hackintosh, right?

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
if it's Delphi, you're lucky. Delphi systems were more reliable and less prone to leaks.

Hang on, weren't the earlier water cooled models Delphi and more prone to leaks? Isn't that why they switch to Panasonic in the later revisions, therefore leaks in the Quad G5 and such became rather rare then.

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
this thread is filled with mis information.

OP, there are two Liquid Cooling systems for your Dual 2.7. The original was the Delphi which were all prone to leaking from ****** O-rings, it also runs on one pump. The replacement LCS was made by Panasonic w/ 2 pumps, which has never leaked unless someone tampered with it and broke it along the way, anyone who says it leaks is full of ****. They made under 1000 Panasonic units as it was a fix for big corporate accounts where the public got jerked around.

Theres numerous threads on how to take apart and rebuild the delphi units, but you'll need to learn how to disassemble the mac and put it back together, its not hard. If you want I can make you a guide on how to do it.

You'll need a 600W power supply since its missing. They run around $60 on ebay, if you were looking to keep it, a Panasonic LCS w/CPUs is going for $80 on ebay. Logic Board is usually $100. Thats the whole computer.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
if it's Delphi, you're lucky. Delphi systems were more reliable and less prone to leaks. But i tell you, if something went wrong with the PSU, CPU and mobo are probably screwed too. Happened to me personally.

Have it tested and if it's OK, sell the parts - you'll get some dough for the CPU, as they're hard to get these days. You're building hackintosh, right?

See below, the Delphi systems are the ones that doesen't really hold for a long time.

And yes, I bought the case for some modding plans. I actually don't know exactley what to do with it, either I build a hackintosh or I'll use it as a Radbox for a watercooled system.

Hang on, weren't the earlier water cooled models Delphi and more prone to leaks? Isn't that why they switch to Panasonic in the later revisions, therefore leaks in the Quad G5 and such became rather rare then.

Right.

this thread is filled with mis information.

OP, there are two Liquid Cooling systems for your Dual 2.7. The original was the Delphi which were all prone to leaking from ****** O-rings, it also runs on one pump. The replacement LCS was made by Panasonic w/ 2 pumps, which has never leaked unless someone tampered with it and broke it along the way, anyone who says it leaks is full of ****. They made under 1000 Panasonic units as it was a fix for big corporate accounts where the public got jerked around.

Theres numerous threads on how to take apart and rebuild the delphi units, but you'll need to learn how to disassemble the mac and put it back together, its not hard. If you want I can make you a guide on how to do it.

You'll need a 600W power supply since its missing. They run around $60 on ebay, if you were looking to keep it, a Panasonic LCS w/CPUs is going for $80 on ebay. Logic Board is usually $100. Thats the whole computer.

Thanks for the info, but you too misunderstood me a little.
I only want to check if the things work, I don't want to get the whole Mac working again. So I want to see if the Watercooling system has any leaks, and if the CPU/Mobo still works.
I simply don't know how to do this, this is why I created this thread. I don't want to spend money on a PSU.
Although, I own a 2009 Mac Pro - I could use the PSU of the Mac Pro to test - would that work?

The previous owner told me that as far as he remembers, if he pressed the power button, the LED blinked and that was it. He doesen't remember whether the fans were spinning or not. He didn't try a PMU reset or stuff like that because he wanted to switch to Intel anyway.

Last edited:

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
the only way you'd be able to check if they work is with the power supply, because you'd have to run ASD 2.5.8 and see if everything passes or fails, but without power you'll never get there.

For the cpu's you can remove them off the cooling blocks and see how much coolant built up on the transistors, and clean them, thats about all you can do.

The powersupply wont work from a Macpro because they have different connectors for the motherboard, and same for the mother board, you wont be able to tell if it works without power, so your kind of stuck for the time being. What is common is when the LCS leaks, it drips onto the powersupply and shorts it out.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Finally managed to dissample the CPU-unit.
I made some pictures:

CPU 1:

CPU 2:

Looks like a leak, doesen't it?
Well, I hardly found any corrosion on the CPUs, only on the water block. Is that enough to kill a whole CPU?

Thanks!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Bumping is not allowed on MR, FYI ;)

Crystals on CPU daughtercard are IMO not enough to kill it (from what I can see on pics at least). But without testing them in second working system you won't be able to know for sure.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Bumping is not allowed on MR, FYI ;)

Crystals on CPU daughtercard are IMO not enough to kill it (from what I can see on pics at least). But without testing them in second working system you won't be able to know for sure.

Oh sorry, didn't know that.

I spoke to my chemistry teacher today, he said he'll try to find out a way to get rid of the corrosion with some liquid stuff.

Thanks for the input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.