Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I was wondering if anyone has ever painted their ipad? My lovely girlfriend got me a ipad mini, and although I wanted the black so the bezel wasnt distracting, I am sure though that I will scratch the back of it up over time, and was considering having someone duracoat the back cover for me.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I was wondering if anyone has ever painted their ipad? My lovely girlfriend got me a ipad mini, and although I wanted the black so the bezel wasnt distracting, I am sure though that I will scratch the back of it up over time, and was considering having someone duracoat the back cover for me.

Sounds like a fantastic way to void the warranty.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
why? skins don't void warranty...take it to a body shop and paint it hi-gloss with Dupont Imron - the stuff is indestructible..

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
its a $300 toy, not a commuter car, not that big a deal.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
because it won't look like crap if sprayed professionally, that's why....

Sorry man, wsnt directed to you, it was in reference to it voiding the warranty. In which case, Ill buy another one if its not fixable. However I was thinking of having a guy spray it with duracoat which is a hard coating that people use on firearms and such.

Similar to this

Barrett+A-TACS+.50+Cal+Magazine.jpg

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
Well, do it and report back, with pics. Just make sure you use someone reputable.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
why? skins don't void warranty...take it to a body shop and paint it hi-gloss with Dupont Imron - the stuff is indestructible..

Sticker =/= Liquid

A sticker can be easily removed and will not trip the liquid detection sensors inside the ports.

Do I necessarily believe the device will be damaged? No. But, I am positive that paint (permanent and liquid) will void the warranty. But the point is moot if the OP has no problem with taking a $300 loss if a unrelated problem down the road is no longer covered.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
pro painters are not stupid, they tape up and sugically cut very well where they don't want paint to go....ask the guy who paints guns like above...

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Well, I wish the OP the best. Good for him that $300 is disposable income.

It's a luxury item. IMO if $300 is going to break you and you still bought one then you have your priorities kinda messed up. I'm not looking to throw money away, but if shh happens I wouldn't kick myself for voiding the warranty.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Painting aluminum, anodized or not, is not an easy feat. That's why aluminum is usually anodized.

Regards,
Tom

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
It's a luxury item. IMO if $300 is going to break you and you still bought one then you have your priorities kinda messed up. I'm not looking to throw money away, but if shh happens I wouldn't kick myself for voiding the warranty.

It wouldn't break me either. Not sure how you managed to equate not wanting to waste $300 with someone living on the margin.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
No post I've put on here says it is a DIY project.....learn to read.....

It was the premise of the thread. I was just pointing out that it was not easy -- not sure how that rated your "Hogwash" response, but it's all a little more clear now.

Regards,
Tom

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The premis was not a DIY scinerio. I have zero interest in taking on the matter myself. However after looking into it ill just be wrapping it in vinyl and calling it good.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
The premis was not a DIY scinerio.

I meant in the sense that you were asking if anyone had done it (i.e. one of us would have been the DIY'er), not that you necessarily wanted to do it yourself.

Sorry to belabor the point.

Regards,
Tom

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
wow. just wow.

Who the hell would paint an iPad?
btw not directed toward you, just wondering

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Why would someone complain about what others do with their ipad? Not directed at you either. Just wondering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.