Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has updated the YouTube for iOS app, adding native support for the iPad and the iPhone 5, as well as full support for streaming videos via AirPlay, reports The Next Web.

NewImage4.png
Google's Horia Ciurdar says that more than 25 percent of all YouTube watching happens on mobile. Since the launch of the YouTube app back in September, Ciurdar says Google has "been hard at work to improve the app based on your feedback."

Now the YouTube app will get 'enhanced' AirPlay support, letting you shoot your videos over to your Apple TV. Videos are also said to start faster and play more smoothly. Google has also improved VoiceOver support for those with visual impairments.
During the iOS 6 Beta, Apple removed the native YouTube app that had been included on every iOS device since the platform was introduced. Once iOS 6 was publicly announced, Google released a native YouTube app for the iPhone.

YouTube for iOS is available as a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Updates YouTube for iOS App, Adds iPad, AirPlay, iPhone 5 Support

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Since the launch of the YouTube app back in September, Ciurdar says Google has "been hard at work to improve the app based on your feedback."

Thats why it took so long, wish people would be more patient, least google listens

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This, Gmail was just updated, and now we just need Maps. Why switch to Android when I got all the goodies on iOS?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Why is video buffering so slow? My Internet connection is more than capable. iPhone 5 by the way.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Good news, lots of good improvements.

Now can we please have multiple user switching as the gmail app has and the same temporary download facility that Android gets.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

It's probably the same reason they don't ship their computers with all the garbage that comes on a Windows PC - if you really want it, you can go get it.

Riverton

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Does anyone else notice how often the first generation iPad is used in these types of pictures?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I don't understand why the YouTube site still uses Flash to play videos by default! Don't we have better technologies available by now? It's silly how the only way to play video online is to use a 3rd party plugin that isn't available on mobile, so you need a special app…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.