Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
So if you have an iPad 1 on iOS 5 and install this app and click a link will it send you to the new app or the old Apple YouTube app?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Definitely an improvement. Though you still can't stream audio from YT videos in the background or crop the aspect ratio.

----------

So if you have an iPad 1 on iOS 5 and install this app and click a link will it send you to the new app or the old Apple YouTube app?

Old app.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I was about to thank Google... but no HDMI-out! (On my iPad 2.) I still cannot show YouTube properly to people via TV, the way I could with Apple’s app!

Mirroring is enabled, but you end up with low-res video in the middle of a sea of black: bars on all 4 sides. Not true video-out. See Apple’s Videos app for video output done right.

I’d hoped if they enabled AirPlay they’d have enabled video out by HDMI and VGA as well.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
The background streaming is an iOS limitation - nothing Google can do about it.

Apps like Downcast that stream videos will play only audio when you hit the home button or lock the device.

You sure? The old native app could do this.

The old YouTube app was written by Apple, not Google. If the above is true then that app probably had greater access than Google would to any APIs.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't understand why the YouTube site still uses Flash to play videos by default! Don't we have better technologies available by now? It's silly how the only way to play video online is to use a 3rd party plugin that isn't available on mobile, so you need a special app…

You don’t need a special app, because Flash is not the only way to play video online, and YouTube.com has supported video on iPhone/iPad, in-broweser without Flash, for ages.

We can thank Apple for this: with the iPhone, Apple pushed Google into abandoning their Flash dependence.

I agree that it’s an odd default for PC/Mac, though.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
wow the quality is pretty awesome on the iPhone 5, havent tried it on the iPad yet tho. liking it so far

olufsen69

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2005
Pacific NorthWest
I'd rather install what I need than have to uninstall everything I don't. More preinstalled apps def never been on my wish list. Ever. Unless its something feature wise (Passbook for example).

On a side note, I wish Apple would let us uninstall apps that they include but I have no interest in using, Newstand, for instance. You can't even move it to a folder and hide the thing.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
The old YouTube app was written by Apple, not Google. If the above is true then that app probably had greater access than Google would to any APIs.

Technically Google could've used the default video API's if they wanted to, they just chose not to so they can add a skip button to the pre-roll ads and a thumbs up and thumbs down button on the player.

As a result of them choosing this route you can no longer double-tap to zoom or play videos in the background.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It was a great idea to make YouTube not a stock app. Google should be making their own YouTube app. It's not Apple's job. Now, the YouTube app is actually more useful than the web view. It's also funny to see people complain about it.

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

Someone else already answered, but I'll put it a slightly different way. Not all people tweet, not even all use facebook or YouTube, so down the path you're suggesting lies "bloatware" - the bane of many a new computer buyer - and which is especially an issue on a memory constrained device.

Apple's "it just works" ethos also applies to those who never both to learn to (or who simply can't be bothered to) uninstall unneeded fripperies.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
the background streaming is an ios limitation - nothing google can do about it.

editting as I sounded up my own arse.....

It seems like any app can play music in the background. I have pasted some info from developer.apple.com for reference.

implementing long-running background tasks
for tasks that require more execution time to implement, you must request specific permissions to run them in the background without their being suspended. In ios, only specific app types are allowed to run in the background:

Apps that play audible content to the user while in the background, such as a music player app
apps that keep users informed of their location at all times, such as a navigation app
apps that support voice over internet protocol (voip)
newsstand apps that need to download and process new content
apps that receive regular updates from external accessories
apps that implement these services must declare the services they support and use system frameworks to implement the relevant aspects of those services. Declaring the services lets the system know which services you use, but in some cases it is the system frameworks that actually prevent your application from being suspended.

Declaring your app’s supported background tasks

support for some types of background execution must be declared in advance by the app that uses them. An app declares support for a service using its info.plist file. Add the uibackgroundmodes key to your info.plist file and set its value to an array containing one or more of the following strings:

Audio—the app plays audible content to the user while in the background. (this content includes streaming audio or video content using airplay.)
location—the app keeps users informed of their location, even while it is running in the background.
Voip—the app provides the ability for the user to make phone calls using an internet connection.
Newsstand-content—the app is a newsstand app that downloads and processes magazine or newspaper content in the background.
External-accessory—the app works with a hardware accessory that needs to deliver updates on a regular schedule through the external accessory framework.
Bluetooth-central—the app works with a bluetooth accessory that needs to deliver updates on a regular schedule through the core bluetooth framework.
Bluetooth-peripheral—the app supports bluetooth communication in peripheral mode through the core bluetooth framework.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Why can't you choose quality of stream like on the mobile site. I hate when apps try to figure out quality of stream based on network connection.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Finally! Tried the YouTube app on both my iPad and iPhone and they work great! Google really built one beautiful app honestly. I'm very happy. I don't use the Gmail app because the regular email app because its integrated on the OS, and does a decent job with Google Sync and Exchange set up. :)

----------

Actually, I think the Jasmine app can do background streaming

I use to when you pressed the Home button. Google asked Jasmine to remove that feature. You have to double click the Home button, slide to the left, then click on the play button. It will resume the YouTube video on the background.

CGJay

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Someone else already answered, but I'll put it a slightly different way. Not all people tweet, not even all use facebook or YouTube, so down the path you're suggesting lies "bloatware" - the bane of many a new computer buyer - and which is especially an issue on a memory constrained device.

Apple's "it just works" ethos also applies to those who never both to learn to (or who simply can't be bothered to) uninstall unneeded fripperies.

But also, we have to take into consideration the differences between 2007 and now.

In 2007 HTML5 was nonexistent, you could not watch YouTube videos from your phone. Adobe's Flash wasn't a viable option either, so they had to think of some other way. In comes the Youtube app, brilliant for people wanting to watch videos on the go.

However, it's passed its sell-by date. You can access Youtube in your phone's web browser, they have their own (better) app and there is a potential market for other third-party viewers. The baked-in Youtube app is just not relevant anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.