Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Surprised no one has mentioned this but.. YouTube sucks. Obviously it's a popular site but they don't seem to have enough bandwidth to power their user base at peak periods. Doesn't matter if it's my iPhone, iPad, PC, netbook.. cellular data, WIFI, direct ethernet connection.. it can take upwards of 5 or 6 minutes to load a video or it will completely freeze at times.

My LTE throughput is 50Mbps down and my WIFI is 35Mbps down. Everything works promptly except YouTube.. consistently.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Getting a call from an apple engineer soon about this. YouTube is one of the many forms of streaming video that has a very slow download over wifi. And not all videos either. So what I'm thinking is that it's a way some videos are uploaded from the original source like but tame and frames per second. As I've been told the quicktime plugin for the iphone 5 differs from other phones. So hopefully a software fix enables old unoptimiZed videos to work properly from various sources.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
You do know youtube sent out an update today?

Yes. I'm not talking about the app needing an update. I'm talking about some videos not being fully compatible with The iphone 5 , the quicktime plugin seems to be very picky or buggy. That's why some videos load just fine or podcasts whatever it may be. And then some other load very slow. It starts at the source. Not the app.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Yes. I'm not talking about the app needing an update. I'm talking about some videos not being fully compatible with The iphone 5 , the quicktime plugin seems to be very picky or buggy. That's why some videos load just fine or podcasts whatever it may be. And then some other load very slow. It starts at the source. Not the app.

Ok. Can you give an example of a slow loading video? So far I have not seen any problems, but I may not yet come across one using quicktime.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Ok. Can you give an example of a slow loading video? So far I have not seen any problems, but I may not yet come across one using quicktime.

Sites like GameStop.com which has reviews and such. You click a video that is html5 compatible and it just buffers forever but works fine on LTE. Note I have 30/20 connection so it shouldn't buffer at all.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Sites like GameStop.com which has reviews and such. You click a video that is html5 compatible and it just buffers forever but works fine on LTE. Note I have 30/20 connection so it shouldn't buffer at all.

I tried several and none had any buffering problems over my wifi.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Mine still loads very slow and always had the same problem with previous iphones.
over 3G it loads fast. On a very fast wifi connection it keeps getting stuck and freezes tyring to load and play a 1 minute video.
I dont know who's to blame for this but the new youtube update didnt make any difference for me either.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Maybe my iphone is faulty?

This is my second one though..

Also I meant gamespot**

Ok, I went to gamespot on youtube and had no problems. Of course, I only tested it on my wifi router. I have the airport extreme base station as my router and I get 60Mbs/10Mbs DL/UL speeds. What type of pings do you get through your router?

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Ok, I went to gamespot on youtube and had no problems. Of course, I only tested it on my wifi router. I have the airport extreme base station as my router and I get 60Mbs/10Mbs DL/UL speeds. What type of pings do you get through your router?

20ms , I have an airport express (little house)

Note it works great on my iPad.

If I pause a YouTube video that doesn't load right it buffers some more but then stops so I have to keep pausing it. It's like the wifi receiver goes in sleep or something. It's effed up

Try gamespot through safari

Jennbennz

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
YouTube over wifi not working for me either. Fine over 3G. Wifi still doesn't work when cellular data is off. C'mon apple...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
20ms , I have an airport express (little house)

Note it works great on my iPad.

If I pause a YouTube video that doesn't load right it buffers some more but then stops so I have to keep pausing it. It's like the wifi receiver goes in sleep or something. It's effed up

Try gamespot through safari

Im able to load HTML 5 vids off gamespot.com very easily, everything loads very quickly

bjumpsnota

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
KC
I've been having this exact issue for a couple weeks now. At first I thought it was obviously a wifi issue but then I found videos on other sites would stream fine. I've tried everything from the jasmine app to turning the mobile network off and nothing seems to work in the long run. The odd thing is it sometimes does work fine. My iPad is having the same issue on the YouTube app and mobile site. Very frustrating since I have Verizon and have a data cap.

Phatnicsan

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
Youtube doesn't work when I'm connected to wifi but when I disconnect and use cellular data it works just fine when I'm on wifi I try to log into my youtube account it says error tap to reload and I tap it then it says authentication error and my search won't load and videos will say playback error. Please help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.