Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

eddy_cue_headshot-150x171.jpg
Apple Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue has decided to sell off 15,000 shares of his stock for about $8.8 million, according to a recent regulatory filing. He sold off his Apple stock for about $583.99 a share.

The stock that Cue cashed in is not part of the 100,000 restricted stock units (RSUs) he received in September 2011 as a promotion bonus. Half of those shares vest on August 24, 2013 while the other half vest on August 24, 2015 if Cue is still with the company.

Today's regulatory filing reveals that Cue still has 285 shares of Apple stock remaining, but The Next Web notes that next year those shares will be bundled in with the 50,000 coming from the first batch of last year's promotion bonus RSUs. Cue has received 76,250 RSUs over the past five years.

Last September, Cue was elevated to the senior management team, and he was recently put in charge of both Siri and Maps. He was also added to Ferrari's Board of Directors.

Cue cashing in does not necessarily mean that he is less invested in Apple. Senior Vice President of Technologies Bob Mansfield, Cue and other Apple executives may be looking to unload stock in 2012 as capital gains tax increases are scheduled in 2013. By selling now rather than in 2013, sellers can reduce their tax burden, and all of the senior executives are in line to receive substantial stock awards if they continue working at the company.

Article Link: Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue Cashes in $8.8 Million in Stock

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's good to witness the choices & timing of these sell offs. Proves that Apples top execs are paying attention. They know the hammers about to fall & they're getting out of the way. Smart men.

yensteel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I think they're protecting their investment before it's stocks fall. Two times is a big coincidence.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I think they're protecting their investment before it's stocks fall. Two times is a big coincidence.

There's nothing coincidental about it. After this year capital gains and numerous other taxes are set to skyrocket in the US. It's only sensible that these guys would sell now.

Mansfield is only a few years away from actual retirement. Cue's been at Apple a very long time as well. If they cash out now, they can do what they want with the money, if they wait, they'll have to hand a bunch of it over the the IRS.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
With 8.8mil & a seat on Ferrari's board, I think he'd take a new FF if he needs a practical family car ;) I know I would!

Just pointed to your nice Avatar.:cool:
Ferrari's are nice on the racetrack, otherwise they are rubbish, I'll take a BMW M3 over a Ferrari any day.

I have been informed that a beamer (or beemer) is a BMW motorcycle; a BMW with four wheels is a bimmer.

You know what beamer actually means, where I am from it is because many of them end up in those safety guards (On roads), and that's why we call them beamer.

(Spelling aside)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It may be smart in the short term, maybe not smart in the long term. If they're selling just to avoid a 5% capital gains tax increase, they're going to "lose" money if Apple stock goes up by an amount more than what it would take to cover the difference, which is not much. Of course, it's wiser to cash in and secure your family (especially if you have boatloads more shares on the way) than to potentially be left with nothing if a catastrophe happens. I'd probably do the same if I were in their position, however I am holding onto my AAPL because I think eventually it's going to go up more than any capital gains increase will take away.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It may be smart in the short term, maybe not smart in the long term. If they're selling just to avoid a 5% capital gains tax increase, they're going to "lose" money if Apple stock goes up by an amount more than what it would take to cover the difference, which is not much. Of course, it's wiser to cash in and secure your family (especially if you have boatloads more shares on the way) than to potentially be left with nothing if a catastrophe happens. I'd probably do the same if I were in their position, however I am holding onto my AAPL because I think eventually it's going to go up more than any capital gains increase will take away.

It depends. It's smart for them to cash out now (so as to avoid the capital gains tax increase) but only makes sense if they NEED to spend that money right now, for example the Apple Exec needs to pay for his daughter's lavish wedding, etc.

But if they are simply cashing out to SHELTER that money to avoid the 5% capital gains tax increase, then it will likely be a short term gain, but potentially long-term loss if AAPL valuation continues to grow and the company continues its trajectory as a $$$trillion-dollar company (predicted within the next 3 years by several analysts).

Then again, Apple will never become a trillion dollar company if the Mayans are correct about December 2012. Or if Samsung allies itself with the North Korean dictatorship and they decide to spitefully nuke Cupertino.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

They could also be rebalancing their portfolios at this time.

czeano

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
I see America has closed the disparity between worker and executive compensation. Great job on the past century of work toward that goal, guys.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004

Wrong... Capital gains tax goes from 15% to 20% Jan 1st 2013. Although, with everybody cashing in before the end of the year Apples stock price probably will fall, but then rise again in January. If it rises 5% then the price is on par with today's value. ;)

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
It's good to witness the choices & timing of these sell offs. Proves that Apples top execs are paying attention. They know the hammers about to fall & they're getting out of the way. Smart men.

????? No, they are trying to avoid possible/likely tax in creases in a couple of weeks.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

No, this is a Tax issue as the tax they would have to pay rises sharply in the new year.

Although one could also argue that holding on to stock at the company you also work for is strategically a bad position because if the company gets into trouble you can lose your job and your investments in one go. Not that its likely to happen at Apple any time soon though;)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wrong... Capital gains tax goes from 15% to 20% Jan 1st 2013. Although, with everybody cashing in before the end of the year Apples stock price probably will fall, but then rise again in January. If it rises 5% then the price is on par with today's value. ;)

Does it make sense that they are cashing in their stock, a stock at a relative low (down about 20% from $700), just so they can avoid a 5% increase in taxes?

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live

Well, what's the point of having stocks if they remain pieces of paper in a safe. Better they spend that money themselves than their estate...

And they still have a ******** of them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.