Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:07 PM   #26
Schranke
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
I have a customized rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/256 wait to be opened back at home. Will look-up the screen when i get home tomorrow.
Hope for a good screen, since i need to work with graphic and pictures.
Schranke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:36 PM   #27
Mac-Tech
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schranke View Post
I have a customized rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/256 wait to be opened back at home. Will look-up the screen when i get home tomorrow.
Hope for a good screen, since i need to work with graphic and pictures.
This is the spec rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/768 I am going to order and I hope by the time I order mine all the LG's would be gone. I am thinking end of this month I will place my order and HOPE HOPE I get a Samsung display....

I really thought after Nov 24th anyone who BTO would end up with a Samsung screen automatically...I guess thats not the case anymore....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDiamond View Post
CTO 2.7/16/768
Ordered 23 Nov

LG screen
Do you think if you waited until the end of Nov 30th you would have got the Samsung screen? I just figured they would have got all the LG out of the factory by now....and stick with Samsung until they resolve the issue with LG screens...... This is why we need STEVE JOBS!!! No one can do it like him...
Mac-Tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:42 PM   #28
anode
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I have a rMBP 15", manufactured 2012/11/08 that has the Samsung screen.

It was ordered on black friday, drop shipped from China, delivered the following Friday.
anode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:46 PM   #29
Mac-Tech
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
Just got mine Friday and it's got an LG.
Can you return it and ask for a Samsung either calling Apple or going into the store if its less then 14days? I mean they can not deny you for that right? Instead of them replacing the LG panel with a Samsung Screen....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anode View Post
I have a rMBP 15", manufactured 2012/11/08 that has the Samsung screen.

It was ordered on black friday, drop shipped from China, delivered the following Friday.
You got lucky.... =) Whats the difference if it comes from China or California?
Mac-Tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:50 PM   #30
anode
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I suppose that the manufacturing date is what is important.

If it came from a California distribution center, the manufacturing date may not have been as recent as the one from China.
anode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:14 PM   #31
Mac-Tech
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by anode View Post
I suppose that the manufacturing date is what is important.

If it came from a California distribution center, the manufacturing date may not have been as recent as the one from China.
So are you saying that if it came from California then its LG and if it came from China its Samsung?
Mac-Tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:33 PM   #32
anode
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm saying that mine was manufactured on November 8, 2012, ordered on November 23, 2012, was shipped to me from a distribution center in China, and it came with the Samsung display.

I don't know if they are installing LG screens one day and Samsung the next. If they are exclusively using the Samsung screens now, then getting a unit that was manufactured in November is a good thing.

If there is older stock in other distribution centers, then that might explain why someone who placed an order around the same time, might get one with an LG screen.

I've ordered a number of Apple computers over the years. The first being an Apple II in 1979. This is the first one that wasn't shipped from California.
anode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:18 PM   #33
millerrh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
I got one manufactured in November (week 48) and it has an LG screen. So they are still using both.
millerrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:12 PM   #34
jlin615
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/768. Samsung here.
jlin615 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:51 PM   #35
nyle
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
15" BTO week 48 received today - Samsung

Last edited by nyle; Dec 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
nyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:20 PM   #36
Mac-Tech
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin615 View Post
rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/768. Samsung here.
NICE! This is the same spec I am going to order soon...fingers crossed for a Samsung!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post
15" BTO received today - Samsung
This is good NEWS!!! I really hope they only supply a Samsung panel with BTO!!
Mac-Tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:25 PM   #37
Golfer00ksu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
I got one manufactured in November (week 48) and it has an LG screen. So they are still using both.
Same here.
Golfer00ksu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:29 PM   #38
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMacFinder View Post
BTO (Built-To-Order) - when you choose standard configuration
CTO (Customized-To-Order) - when you choose some additional upgrades as well
Please refrain from guessing when you don't know what you're talking about.

It misleads people that are honest & ask for help.

Thank you.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:52 AM   #39
skydesigner
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Just got mine. Ordered 27th November (week 48/49)

Today I got my third (!) rMBP. First two where Samsungs screens. But had very bad screen uniformity (yellow edges).
This time (always the same config: 2,3/16/256) I got an LG. No IR after 10 minutes. But its not as bright and it also doesnt have a uniform screen. The middle is significant brighter as the left and especially the right side.

Ill send this one back, too and forget about the rMBP. I mean... for 1000 EUR you might accept that is is not perfect. And I truely believe you could just use it and WORK..... but this thing is so expansive. I want it to be perfect. Otherwise I could really buy a 700 EUR (Im from Germany) notebook.
skydesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:58 AM   #40
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydesigner View Post
Today I got my third (!) rMBP. First two where Samsungs screens. But had very bad screen uniformity (yellow edges).
This time (always the same config: 2,3/16/256) I got an LG. No IR after 10 minutes. But its not as bright and it also doesnt have a uniform screen. The middle is significant brighter as the left and especially the right side.

Ill send this one back, too and forget about the rMBP. I mean... for 1000 EUR you might accept that is is not perfect. And I truely believe you could just use it and WORK..... but this thing is so expansive. I want it to be perfect. Otherwise I could really buy a 700 EUR (Im from Germany) notebook.
Are you ordering these things from Apple directly? How are they handling the excessive exchanges?

I really look for Apple to reinstate a restocking fee before long. It's hard to believe the number of exchanges and returns people make on this forum. To each their own, but I am surprised they don't start refusing exchanges after few and say "it's clear we don't have a product that is meeting your needs."
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:15 AM   #41
skydesigner
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Are you ordering these things from Apple directly? How are they handling the excessive exchanges?

I really look for Apple to reinstate a restocking fee before long. It's hard to believe the number of exchanges and returns people make on this forum. To each their own, but I am surprised they don't start refusing exchanges after few and say "it's clear we don't have a product that is meeting your needs."
Ive to admit there lays truth in your saying. On the other hand: they should establish better QC to make sure they are all at the same VERY high level. But they are not and still they charge a big premium.
My post was just as information for others. I dont want to start (another) discussion about that.
skydesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:54 AM   #42
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydesigner View Post
Ive to admit there lays truth in your saying. On the other hand: they should establish better QC to make sure they are all at the same VERY high level. But they are not and still they charge a big premium.
My post was just as information for others. I dont want to start (another) discussion about that.
But how are they handling them? What are you telling them? Do they comment about the number you have made, or are they just nice and say here is a shipping label?
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:37 AM   #43
Schranke
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schranke View Post
I have a customized rMBP 15" 2.7Ghz/16GB/256 wait to be opened back at home. Will look-up the screen when i get home tomorrow.
Hope for a good screen, since i need to work with graphic and pictures.
Reporting back since i just opened the new
Got a Samsung, so I am Happy
ordered it on black friday
Schranke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:07 AM   #44
iPersian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer00ksu View Post
Same here.
was it a BTO?
iPersian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:21 AM   #45
millerrh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPersian View Post
was it a BTO?
BTO = Build To Order. It means one of the custom configurations and not the kind they sell in the retail store.
millerrh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:33 AM   #46
AndyDiamond
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
so what's the big deal about LG vs Samsung anyway?

My (LG) screen looks freakin' awesome - I don't give ***** about who made it quite frankly. I think you guys have to much time on your trainspotting hands!
__________________
"Today's Macs are blazingly fast but people still whine about them not having stuff they'll never use on them anyway."
AndyDiamond is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:45 AM   #47
millerrh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDiamond View Post
so what's the big deal about LG vs Samsung anyway?

My (LG) screen looks freakin' awesome - I don't give ***** about who made it quite frankly. I think you guys have to much time on your trainspotting hands!
It's not a brand flame-war. It's that LGs have exhibited a ghosting/image retention problem, where Samsungs have not. So people want to see if they are susceptible to the issue.
millerrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:56 AM   #48
AndyDiamond
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
It's not a brand flame-war. It's that LGs have exhibited a ghosting/image retention problem, where Samsungs have not. So people want to see if they are susceptible to the issue.
I understand - are you saying anyone with an LG screen should send it back?
__________________
"Today's Macs are blazingly fast but people still whine about them not having stuff they'll never use on them anyway."
AndyDiamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #49
millerrh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDiamond View Post
I understand - are you saying anyone with an LG screen should send it back?
Some people may choose to. Others might just choose to keep an eye out for the issue so they know to take it in for repair. I myself got an LG and am going to sit on it until the return period expires to see if I notice the issue.

One thing people are saying is that it sometimes takes a fair amount of time (2 months or so) for it to develop. But that once it does, it goes downhill real quick. Many people have received replacement LG after replacement LG all exhibiting the issue. So much so, I'm led to believe almost 100% of LGs will have this at some point unless there is some new data that shows newer ones are fixed somehow.

Some other people have had issues with Apple saying these faulty displays are really within spec. This is my big concern. There's no way I will find any sort of IR acceptable. I will likely exchange my computer at the end of the return period even if I don't see it just on the faith that it will develop at some point and the worry that Apple won't stand by their product.
millerrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:18 AM   #50
KevinC867
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Saratoga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDiamond View Post
so what's the big deal about LG vs Samsung anyway?

My (LG) screen looks freakin' awesome - I don't give ***** about who made it quite frankly...
I understand your point. My LG screen was also fantastic on day one, and I wasn't looking for problems. However, after a few months it exhibited the image retention problem pretty strongly. It was annoying to watch a video and continue to see text that was on the screen previously. I brought it in last Friday and Apple replaced it with a Samsung display. I now feel more secure about the future of this display and the resale value of my machine.

I believe that most LG displays are probably fine, and Apple seems to be taking care of the folks with bad ones, so there doesn't seem to be a need for folks with working LG displays to try to return them. The only nagging questions are whether the problem might sometimes appear after the warranty is over, rather than after just a few months. Also, the effect on resale value is a question, but it's hard to say how many buyers would be aware of the IR issue.
KevinC867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refurb rMBP: Samsung screens? Drew84 MacBook Pro 0 Oct 22, 2013 02:52 PM
Urgent- feedback from rmbp users who have had screens replaced with samsung- advice bkribbs MacBook Pro 34 Aug 15, 2013 10:27 AM
Foldable screens coming soon? spinedoc77 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 16 Feb 9, 2013 06:17 PM
Samsung to demo flexiable screens. G51989 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Dec 23, 2012 06:31 AM
rMBP owners: Did people receive Samsung replacement screens? benguild MacBook Pro 1 Oct 8, 2012 03:45 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC