Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
What's a good Word processor and spreadsheet app for iMac that is freeware?

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
Open Office

http://www.openoffice.org/ is probably the only free Word Processor / Spreadsheet / MS Office replacement you could ever need. Google Docs is a close second but I think it lacks a PowerPoint clone if that is needed.... TextEdit also may have enough power for most users to use as a word processor . But not a spreadsheet.

Last edited:

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky

Freeware? Nothing really better than Google's (if you don't mind them reading all your stuff). They've got a full suite of compatibility.

Otherwise just grab Pages, it's $20 bucks and works fantastically by stripping down all the buttons and crap into a simple interface and logical approach. Give it a try...

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I've really enjoyed Open Office. I highly recommend it. It's feels more like classic MS Word that everyone knows and loves.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Open office or Google docs if it has to be free. But if for any reason you need to be able to share documents with other people then you will have to spend the money on Word if you want them to still look good.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
Word is great, provided you back up everything every few seconds. I still manage to lose things via the odd microsoft crash.
I have also bought "Scrivener" which is a project/book oriented WP from I think there's a trial version here
The kids have always got great homework marks by doing projects in Pages - but when I emailed some Pages produced text to my colleagues in Windows world, that Pages '09 (4.2) had exported as .doc - they were quote "unable to open in Word 2008 or even in Wordpad" unquote.
I'm not sure if that was Pages or the fact that I emailed a Mac created .doc via Gmail - which might have warped the document somehow. Or the ancient Word that my business uses corporately?
I just throw raw text documents (sometimes with an additional rtf attached) at people NOT using an iMac now.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Thank you everyone, I installed OpenOffice, looks good. :)

Anyone know if its possible to get OO to open up each time and automatically open all files I had previously opened?

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I totally hate Pages. It just does not work the way that my mind thinks. I miss Word Perfect 3.5 for Mac, the last version made by Novell.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I have MS Office for Mac, but I don't actually use it anymore.

I prefer Google Docs.

Google Docs, on the other hand, is nowhere near as powerful as MS Office, but the way it syncs is so simple.

I really hope to see Google improve on Google Docs, because it is actually quite weak compared to Office, but like I said, it's the syncing that grabs me.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
Open office or Google docs if it has to be free. But if for any reason you need to be able to share documents with other people then you will have to spend the money on Word if you want them to still look good.

I thought that Open office lets you save as .doc or .xls and not just in the open office format... also i don't think that you can save files as .docx, .xlsx, etc. yet, but it's been a while since i used OO.O. I can also say that it allowed me to edit a Word file that Mac Word was choking on, and then save that back to Word. (it had some crazy embedded graphic on a flier my youth sports organization was re-using for year 2 and we needed the graphic that was only appropriate the first year) I tried for days to remove the object using Mac Office (Word) and did it in 5 minutes using OpenOffice.Org

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Anyone know if its possible to get OO to open up each time and automatically open all files I had previously opened?
If you use NeoOffice, that has support for Versions, AutoSave and Resume built-in. NeoOffice is a fork of OpenOffice specifically to include OS X features.

You will have to pay $10 to use it. For some people, that's too much for software they need. :D

rpramanik

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
San Francisco, USA
If you work in a corporation

Seriously, if you're working in a Corporation you have to use MS office. I tried OpenOffice Google Docs all that stuff but no matter what there's compatibility format issues and MS office in the only way to avoid those. Independently those are all great and I would prefer to use those but it just is not possible at this time.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I thought that Open office lets you save as .doc or .xls and not just in the open office format... also i don't think that you can save files as .docx, .xlsx, etc. yet, but it's been a while since i used OO.O. I can also say that it allowed me to edit a Word file that Mac Word was choking on, and then save that back to Word. (it had some crazy embedded graphic on a flier my youth sports organization was re-using for year 2 and we needed the graphic that was only appropriate the first year) I tried for days to remove the object using Mac Office (Word) and did it in 5 minutes using OpenOffice.Org

My experience is that office suites other than word can save to word, but the formatting gets messed up a lot. So if you need to share documents and you want to be sure they look professional Word is worth the money, otherwise free ones work well enough.

diagnostics247

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
I use Pages. If I have have compatibility issues - usually with downloading school documents from Professors - I use Google Drive to upload and then download it again.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

There's not one answer. There are several answers, depending on your needs and personal preferences.

If you need/want full MS Word compatibility, then the obvious choice is Microsoft Office Word 2011. It is a full-featured word processor that can handle any task.

If you don't need all the advanced word processing features of Word, but you want some degree of compatibility while being more elegant and designed towards desktop publishing and the creation of stylish documents, then you should try Apple Pages.

If you want a Mac-only full featured word processor with Word compatibility, then you may like Nisus Writer Pro.

If you wish to write long and complex documents seamlessly, and do not need full compatibility with Word, then Mellel might be for you.

If price is a concern, but you don't want to give up the whole set of features or compatibility with Microsoft Office, then you should download OpenOffice or LibreOffice (well, you should download both anyway, as they are free).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.