Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
So after next week winter break begins and I will probably have a ton of free time. I also want to meet some new friends and connections, perhaps.

Was wondering if volunteering is a good idea? And how does one go about volunteering? I've kind of looked around Minneapolis and Saint Paul websites for some volunteering and have been unable to find anything really.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I've kind of looked around Minneapolis and Saint Paul websites for some volunteering and have been unable to find anything really.

Quit looking at websites and pick up the phone. Tons of places would be glad to have you.

I've volunteered at the local Ronald McDonald house as a cook (it was my college job), and it was very rewarding. Give them a call, I'm sure they'd be glad to have you.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
If you don't want to commit a whole day, you can donate blood on your lunch break. If you've got a day, how about a Komen or Baldricks event? Once you go, you'll see how awesome it feels to give back.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Commit a trivial crime and get court ordered community service! Then the court will find volunteer work for you.

You can check craigslist

The Salvation Army is likely looking for bell ringers. You could also try the big brother/big sister program, although that is more of a commitment.

If you just want to do community service, you can do things like raking leaves in your neighborhood, shoveling snow, clean gutters, etc. Walk around and look at things that might need to be done.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I tried volunteering at my local hospital once. Terrible idea. Make sure it's something you really want to do and you are genuinely doing it because you want to help people.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Volunteering is great. Make a clear decision, initially at least, what your time frame is. Volunteer organizations will need to know that you are there for a few days or hours (which, while they will accommodate you is not really that useful since you tie up a volunteer to train you) or whether you can commit to something more long-term.

There is likely a Volunteer Bureau in your area... a group that matches people and their skills to the groups that need them. Just drop in...

I am a serious and committed volunteer, and have many good friends now who I have met that way.

It also isn't a bad way to help your career. People from all walks of life - volunteer. One day you will be applying for a job, and your interviewer will be someone you volunteered with.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Volunteer work is very rewarding. I sit on four committees as a volunteer. Two as President, one as Treasurer and one as a Fundraiser. Check your local sports associations, churches and youth groups. You would be amazed at how many of these organizations will accept you with open arms. I have been a volunteer for over 15 years now and the connections I have made through them are super. Plus the rewards of freely giving your time are bar none the best feeling. Pick something you will enjoy and if you do plan on following through, think of doing it for at least 3 years minimum. Then who ever you do it for, will see you are committed to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.