Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

eric_schmidt_blue-150x133.jpg
Google Executive Chairman and former CEO Eric Schmidt recently sat down for a wide-ranging interview (subscription required) with The Wall Street Journal and in addressing his company's relationship with Apple noted that the two companies would resolve their issues like adults. He said that while explaining Apple and Google's relationship over the past year, which has included Apple taking Google Maps and YouTube out of iOS.
It's always been on and off. Obviously, we would have preferred them to use our maps. They threw YouTube off the home screen [of iPhones and iPads]. I'm not quite sure why they did that.

The press would like to write the sort of teenage model of competition, which is, 'I have a gun, you have a gun, who shoots first?'

The adult way to run a business is to run it more like a country. They have disputes, yet they've actually been able to have huge trade with each other. They're not sending bombs at each other.

I think both Tim [Cook, Apple's CEO] and Larry [Page, Google's CEO], the sort of successors to Steve [Jobs] and me if you will, have an understanding of this state model. When they and their teams meet, they have just a long list of things to talk about.
Schmidt went on to note that Apple and Google talk about patent litigation and how Apple is currently embroiled in legal drama with Google's Android partners rather than Google itself. He also noted that the litigation would continue for "a while" and that the big loser is not Apple or Google, but a smaller company trying to get an operating system off the ground as they wouldn't have the necessary patent coverage.

Recently, Google updated its Search app to include its Siri competitor. Schmidt tells The Wall Street Journal that Google does, in fact, list Siri as an example of the future "non-conforming to the Web" competition. Google also has Safari-competitor Chrome available in the App Store and is reportedly moving closer to submitting Google Maps for iOS.

Article Link: Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Says Apple and Google Will Resolve Issues 'the Adult Way'

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Schmidt: "I'm rubber, you're glue"
Cook: "That's it, 5 o'clock you and me at the parking"

terryzx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Play Nice!

Wouldn't it be nice if all these cell phone makers (etc) would get together and play nice and share ideas that we all could profit from while they also each make their own profits from utilizing each other's shared patients? :rolleyes:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Apple had a contract with Google. Contract ended. Apple didn't renew.

I think Google thought that Apple would 'come to their senses' - figure out that Maps and YouTube were needed, and renew at the 11th hour. Google bet all their chips that this would happen. It didn't. Google had to scramble, and is now blaming Apple for Google not having a backup plan.

Google has the best products, but they had a snobby attitude that Apple would continue to use their products. It bit them in the arse when Apple decided to compete with Google.

Now Eric Schmidt is trying to save face by spinning this.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Theft is still theft, Eric.

Saying that Google stole Apple's ideas for Android is like saying that the second car maker to come along stole the first one's ideas by using wheels and seats.

Things like touch scrolling, icons, etc. were the natural progression of cel phones in general. Not to mention, Apple has copied their share of features, too, like the notification center.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Saying that Google stole Apple's ideas for Android is like saying that the second car maker to come along stole the first one's ideas by using wheels and seats.

Things like touch scrolling, icons, etc. were the natural progression of cel phones in general. Not to mention, Apple has copied their share of features, too, like the notification center.

Ok guys new Drinking game!

When someone mentions "Notification centre" when talking about iOS vs Android you have to take a chug.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Things like touch scrolling, icons, etc. were the natural progression of cel phones in general.

"Natural progression" = stuff they didn't think of, but that they decided to rip off instead of licensing?

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
two companies would resolve their issues like adults.

You mean they're going to post embarrassing photos of each other on Facebook, make a bunch of nested Demotivator memes against each other, then have the equivalent of a hissy screaming match on an forum board.

JBunkers

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
In the middle
Doesn't matter

*chug*

Doesn't make it any less true though.

Which doesn't make it any more valid. Did Google bother to patent their "Notification center" idea? If not, then anybody bringing that subject up as an argument is full of baloney, to put it very nicely.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
"Natural progression" = stuff they didn't think of, but that they decided to rip off instead of licensing?

What exactly does Google need to licence out of interest?

I'm unaware of Google being found guilty of infringing on any of Apple's patents directly thus far.

----------

Which doesn't make it any more valid. Did Google bother to patent their "Notification center" idea? If not, then anybody bringing that subject up as an argument is full of baloney, to put it very nicely.

It's under review AFAIK.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090249247

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
The "adult way"? The "adult way" would have been to NOT STEAL from Apple when you were a mole on Apple's board, Eric.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.