Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:40 AM   #1
jon08
macrumors 65816

iP5 screen protector - yes or no?

So I'll be getting an iPhone 5 next week to replace my current iPhone 4. I've been using PowerSupport screen protector on the latter since the beginning, but have been contemplating not putting anything on the front glass this time around. (I'll be putting the phone into iSkin Claro though).

I keep hearing people say that the front glass won't scratch blahblah, but is that really the case? I usually never put my phone into the pocket with other things, so it's phone only. Is it safe without a screen protector that way? Or will there eventually appear small scuffs etc on the screen?
jon08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Tea-Aholic
macrumors 6502

The oleo phobic coating will show scratches. Use a screen protector if you want your screen to be immaculate or don't if you don't mind some hairline scratches.
Tea-Aholic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:00 AM   #3
maflynn

Not only will the olephobic coating show scratches it will wear off with time. Its a coating sitting on the glass not impregnated into the glass.
maflynn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Feed Me
Banned

I've owned many iPod touches, iPads, and now an iPhone - never ever scratched the screen on any of them even slightly. They're all in mint condition.

If you take care of your iPhone and aren't a klutz like seemingly most people nowadays, you definitely don't need a screen protector. But then again, if you want to protect against that one slip-up where your iPhone skids along tarmac for five metres, be my guest and put a screen protector on.

Me, I live on the edge, and one of the benefits of that is I don't have to use my phone through a sheet of sticky tape.
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:25 AM   #5
ddublu
macrumors 65816

I dont use one as much for the protection as I do the feel of my finger on the screen. The Power Support USA anti-glare HD protector (the ones sold at the Apple Store) is the best I have ever seen...I have tried cheap ones from eBay, Zagg and many more and I always come back to this one....it just feels great.
ddublu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
docal97
macrumors 6502a

i use the zagg hd screen protector. it is amazing. You can barely tell it's on the screen. no tacky feeling to the screen either, like with earlier generations of the zagg protectors. Highly recommended. I use it so that I don't have to worry about accidental damage, which can occur even if you are super careful.
docal97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I don't use screen protectors.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #8
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

I like to use a Best Skins Ever screen on my iPhone. I don't bother putting anything on my iPods or iPads though. The phone spends the majority of it's time in my pocket so I'm a little more worried about the screen on it.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
daneoni
macrumors G4

I put a protector on mine and it has already taken some minor hits in-place of the actual screen.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Hec983
macrumors member

Mediadevil matte is what I have and its pretty good
Hec983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:35 PM   #11
haigie
macrumors newbie

Zagg for me, standard InvisibleShield on all my iPhones & iPad. The HD ones are harder to get in the UK but I'd pay the extra for when my current one is ready to be replaced.

25 year warranty - you can't go wrong there. It's definitely not as nice as the bare screen but if you're concerned about marks on the screen, Zagg is the best I've come across - easy to apply (just be patient), no bubbles!
haigie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:12 PM   #12
katai
macrumors regular

I just started using PS anti-glare because I have OCD for wiping smudges everyday.
katai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Jman13
macrumors 65816

I hate screen protectors. I think they look bad, and all but the glass ones feel bad. The 5 is my fourth iPhone (owned 3Gs, 4, 4S and 5). I've never used a protector on any of them. Through all of them, I've had a total of one scratch on my screen, which was on my 4, and was approximately 2mm long and barely visible, and only in the right light. Even my wife's phones (which, with the exception of her 3Gs were all my previous phones...so my 4 and now my old 4S), only have had one or two hairline scratches, and she throws her phone in her purse with her keys all the time.

Keep keys and coins out of the pocket your phone is in, and it's a non-issue. even after they get through a year of my wife's less than careful treatment, I've gotten good prices for the phones used after two years of use. I got $200 for our 16 GB 4 this past fall when I upgraded to the 5, and that was just using the eBay instant sale.
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

I've never used protectors, try them once for my iPhone 4 two years ago and didnt like it because of the feel of the screen, it felt like an orange peal to me. Anyways, gave Spigen Ultra Crystal Clear a try and I love it ! It doesn't feel like it has a screen protector at all and since I'm half OCD I feel better that I'm protected now. I applied it using the "hinge method" and I actually did a really good job

White & Silver iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011
AT&T
Bako-MacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories