Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parts firm ETrade Supply has posted several photos of what it believes may be the rear shell for next-generation iPhone, which we are referring to as the iPhone 5S in accordance with Apple's recent pattern of naming the devices.

The part is extremely similar to that from the iPhone 5, in line with Apple's pattern of maintaining a given body style for two generations before making more significant modifications. This iPhone 5S part is, however, distinctly different from its iPhone 5 counterpart in several ways, most obviously in the arrangement of the screw holes for attaching the logic board.

iphone_5s_5_rear_shells.jpg
Comparison of iPhone 5S and iPhone 5 rear shells with logic board screw holes boxed in red
Aside from the logic board screw holes, there are other subtle differences between the two parts highlighted in purple, blue, and yellow in the photo comparison.

iphone_5s_shell_exterior.jpg
The exterior of the shell contains the same text as seen on the iPhone 5, with placeholders being used for the various model, IMEI, and regulatory identifiers.

Given that the origin of the photos is unknown, it is certainly possible that this part is an old iPhone 5 prototype design that was discarded in favor of the design that was ultimately used. Alternatively, the part could also be a fake or a knockoff, although at a glance the part seems to show similar levels of quality to that seen on the genuine iPhone 5 part and a knockoff part intended to be used for replacement on iPhone 5 devices would be certain to retain the arrangement of logic board screw holes.

A pair of reports from DigiTimes last month indicated that trial production on the iPhone 5S is already underway with Apple targeting the "middle of 2013" for a launch.

Article Link: First Claimed Images of iPhone 5S Rear Shell Surface

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Already? The iPhone 5 is barely out in all markets, and now 5S rumors are brewing? SMH

Breaking News: Ive creates new iOS "Weather" icon, AAPL soars.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Wow so Apple is really moving the iDevice line to a 6-8 month upgrade cycle, much like where their Mac line used to fall ... until it took the backseat.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
What?

You'd only get these leaks if it was in production and there is no way its in production. So unless Jony Ive Is drunk and giving out iPhone shells this is utter BS.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'm not buying this "middle of 2013" stuff for a second.

Why?

It's been made clear the 12-15 month cycle was too slow. I think we'll see new iDevices every 9 or less months from here on out to keep up.

I'd rather see a NEW iPhone 6, 7, 8, ect. every year, and an "S" as a halfway mark upgrade.

ComputersaysNo

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Amsterdam
According to the patern on the inside, it looks like it is CNC'd (machined) out of one piece, thus giving me the idea that we are looking at a prototype shell of the 5.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Ah finally. My iphone 5 has all ready a few scuffs and I'm eager for a new phone all ready.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
According to the patern on the inside, it looks like it is CNC'd (machined) out of one piece, thus giving me the idea that we are looking at a prototype shell of the 5.

Except for the inconvenient fact that all the production shells have exactly the same machining marks.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Wow so Apple is really moving the iDevice line to a 6-8 month upgrade cycle, much like where their Mac line used to fall ... until it took the backseat.

I'm not sure I understand how 12 months is too slow when most people take out 2 year contracts when they buy these things.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Already? The iPhone 5 is barely out in all markets, and now 5S rumors are brewing? SMH

That's Apple's (good) problem. They have to speed up the cycles. They used to be able to launch in just a few markets then gradually roll out the rest of the world to beat their revenue numbers quarter after quarter (every quarter, new markets would keep the revenues pouring in). Now they have to roll out to the rest of the world much faster to try to keep beating their revenue targets. And once they've rolled out to much of rest of the world, they have to roll something else out or realize the sales falloff for the period between when it's available everywhere to when the new one is ready to be sold.

In short, the slope of Apple's revenue growth is too steep to keep depending on the products they have to keep setting records. What Apple has been doing is speeding up distribution to new markets to pull what used to be future revenues (by staggering rollouts to new markets) into the present. The problem with this is as described above. Faster rollouts drives record revenues until Apple has rolled out just about everywhere. Then, Apple needs a new version to try to do the same thing again.

What Apple really needs is a next, next big thing... something new to sell to everyone that is not a new version (or size) of an existing "big thing". This model of pulling sales forward by rolling out to new markets can only go so far. Eventually, Apple collides with the limitation of launching today in all countries. A next big thing or two can shore up the revenue growth. But what will that next big thing(s) be?

Last edited:

Youknowitsme

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
Why?

It's been made clear the 12-15 month cycle was too slow. I think we'll see new iDevices every 9 or less months from here on out to keep up.

I'd rather see a NEW iPhone 6, 7, 8, ect. every year, and an "S" as a halfway mark upgrade.

I agree with you. If you don't like the minor upgrade the the "S" brings then don't buy it. I'll stick with buying the variable less iPhones

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Oh here we go again... at least I got my new iMac already, so no complaining for now. :D

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Why?

No offense, but this is one thing I don't like. Too many people are obsessed with "new" and change for the sake of change. Unless the new phone gives you a feature you need or fixes a problem you have, why do we want/need something new & different?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What would the 5S have that the 5 doesn't? Especially when it's highly unlikely we'll see any major changes to iOS this soon. I get what they did with the 4th gen iPad switching to the new doc connector. But with a new iPhone this soon what would be different other than it being faster than the 5? And is the 5 really slow anyway? :confused:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Seems a bit odd. Didn't they just start selling in China or something?

Ticket Eagle

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just making incorrect assumptions, but I always thought the "S" in the iPhone 4S stood for "Siri". Why would any future models, midway cycle upgrades or otherwise, need the "S" as part of its moniker?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.