Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
With the new design and all the worries on heat issues. Has anyone tested for heat issues yet?

Torgo81

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Amsterdam
I was looking around to see if anyone started a thread on this already. I received my new BTO iMac 21.5, i5, Fusion, 16GB yesterday and after configuring it alittle bit, I went ahead and installed Civilization V + expansion and spend a few hours playing it.

Afterwards I felt all around my iMac and I could really not feel any substantial heat. I would say like the iPad feels when using it. The only area which felt warmer (I cannot call it hot) was the area around the FAN exit.

I have used my 2007 model iMac alot for gaming and the upper left part of my screen became white'ish because of the heat I think and it became so hot I needed SMC fan control.

Nothing like that on this new one but one night of Civilization 5 isn't ofcourse a very representative test... but so far so (very very) good :)

PS: I was also trying Diablo III for a short while with max settings and was getting around 30-40 FPS

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Ah very cool! Glad to see that a quick test is yielding good results. I hope someone does an extensive heat test soon to help give more of an idea on it

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I was looking around to see if anyone started a thread on this already. I received my new BTO iMac 21.5, i5, Fusion, 16GB yesterday

I have used my 2007 model iMac alot for gaming and the upper left part of my screen became white'ish because of the heat I think and it became so hot I needed SMC fan control.

Sorry to jump on thread...
Would love to hear what you think of the fusion drive? faster? any difference in day to day apps? I also currently have a 2007 C2D 2GHz, and am awaiting my new 21,5" with fusion

cheers

hacke

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
Can someone tell me how noisy the fans get in high end games? (battlefield3) :confused::confused:

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Can someone tell me how noisy the fans get in high end games? (battlefield3) :confused::confused:

They're gonna get loud for sure. I would recommend some fan control software, where you bring up the fan speed before starting to game. That would hopefully keep the temperature from going too high.

Last edited:

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I just got mine, so far it doesn't feel hot at all.

I put my hand behind the grill where the fan exhaust comes out and that feels ever so slightly warm, but barely.

Overall, I think it's running quite cool, unfortunately iStat doesn't have the CPU temperature though :(

apedance

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Vienna
Install smcFanControl into OSX.
Set the fans higher than normal and boot into Windows.
The faster fan speeds also apply to Windows.

I do this because Windows got issues with controlling the fans.

Before i did this my HHD temp went up to over 50°C.

Tested on iMac 27 late 2009.

Torgo81

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Amsterdam
Sorry to jump on thread...
Would love to hear what you think of the fusion drive? faster? any difference in day to day apps? I also currently have a 2007 C2D 2GHz, and am awaiting my new 21,5" with fusion

cheers

Well.... I played with it only for a day and I have almost no data on it, so I haven't even heared the normal disk spin once. so its using only the SSD now.

This new one is a super fast experience for me... but whether that is due to my bump in processor power, the enormous amount of ram, the fusion drive or all three of them, I don't really know. :)

When loading Civilization 5 I did think, hey I thought this might have been faster being on the SSD but maybe Civilization is buggy, it's always been hehe :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.