Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
One would hope, and I don't think iOS 7 is going to push forward as much as people hope.

It's still going to be very Forstall, incremental and status quo. Maybe in iOS 8 we will see the whole new era we are looking for.

For me though, I want Apple to once again act like a software company and focus on taking the mobile experience to the next level.

Agree 100% on this. If people are looking for the iOS7 redesign inspired by Ive, I think they're going to be waiting until iOS8. Of course i'd love to be wrong.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Me too but folks in the US who buy phones on contract probably don't like this.

I'm in the US and buy on contract. No need to upgrade to a new iPhone sooner than every two years. Keyword being need. Complainers will always find reasons to complain, though.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
I'm not sure I understand how 12 months is too slow when most people take out 2 year contracts when they buy these things.

Well, if they move to a roughly-8-month cycle (which I'm not saying they are), it means that my new phones will be 3 generations removed from my old phones, rather than the current 2. So that's cool.

carterx

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
iPhone 5, iPhone 5s & now the new iPhone 5dry

FdrsI.jpg

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I'm not buying this "middle of 2013" stuff for a second.
They did it with iPad THE SAME YEAR, and that wasn't a one-off decision because of the lightning connector update. That was a processor upgrade, and one they couldn't waited on. I say 5S in summer. We'll see. Not afraid to say I was wrong.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
People were livid and impatient when they pushed the release cycle to 15 months for the 4S.

And did they repeat that again for the 5? A summer release doesn't mean they're moving the iPhone to a 6-8 month upgrade cycle, just as delaying the 4S didn't mean they had decided on the 15 month upgrade cycle. It could just be a one time thing as part of iDevice release shuffling.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just making incorrect assumptions, but I always thought the "S" in the iPhone 4S stood for "Siri". Why would any future models, midway cycle upgrades or otherwise, need the "S" as part of its moniker?

"Speed". There are always processor upgrades.

Ticket Eagle

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
My guess is that the S was for Speed it started with the 3G"s" for the first time it was used... long before siri.

http://techcrunch.com/2009/06/08/say-hello-to-the-iphone-3gs-s-is-for-screaming-fast/

edit - mac stupid spell check for siri and it changed it to sire... lol

The "S" existed on the on 3GS long before Siri. It stood for "speed" at that time. Maybe it will mean something else this time... "Spend more money" or "Super Fasterer" who knows. Apparently, Apple's two favorite letters are "i" and "S".

The 3GS's S meant Speed..maybe it could mean Superb, Simple, Seven, idk....

Incorrect assumption it is! :) Thanks for the clarifications.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I can't wait to hear the "its only a minor update" when its released. I think we should all know now that by now...but people will still complain like they are all of a sudden new to the cycle.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
These s versions are getting boring for a company of their size. Inovate please.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I suspect a 5S may mainly about manufacturing revisions so that they can be assembled more easily and have a lower fault rate. The iPhone 5's biggest problem has been they cannot make them fast enough.

While they are at it, can we have a black and aluminium version please? I don't like the slate on one version, or the white on the other. It should be easy to combine the 2 options. Production volumes should even allow for all the colours available on the iPod touch (there are more iPhones made than touches), but more black faceplate choices please.

----------

How do we know that the shell in the pics isn't just an early iPhone 5 prototype...?

We don't. This is a rumours site where people speculate and get angry.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
No offense, but this is one thing I don't like. Too many people are obsessed with "new" and change for the sake of change. Unless the new phone gives you a feature you need or fixes a problem you have, why do we want/need something new & different?

I agree with guzhogi. However our society is so caught up in having the latest and greatest product. I will admit that I too get excited about the latest gear. Only difference is I don't buy every release of the iPhone.

There are people here who do well in selling their older stuff to make up most of the cost of the newer phone. I like to skip enough models so that when I do upgrade there is some significant changes in both UI design and hardware.

I got bored of iOS because there really hasn't been anything super exciting for me to continue to use it. I jumped ship last year and I've been happy ever since. My Galaxy S2 LTE should last me for a while considering I came from a iPhone 3G with iOS 3.1.3 which become unbearable to use due to crashing and bad UI lag from its outdated hardware and being upgraded to the latest iOS release for it.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The Nexus 4 disappointed (no LTE), so my next phone is looking like the iPhone 5S.

I'm getting it anyway. LTE handoff is still a bit frustrating at times (especially at my place of work). The big compromise for me is 16GB from 32GB, actually.

As for the rumor, 28nm TSMC A6S with new Rogue based GPU is totally plausible.

It means speed, but it's better to use it to distinguish an external hardware revision didn't occur. They've updated the processor every iphone since the 3G. I expect that to continue, especially now that they've gone custom architectures.

rkingucla

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2007
Interesting that we're seeing this today as AAPL stock is down over 4% today and some are attributing it to a DigiTimes story that claims Apple's demands for parts and components is due to plunge 20%. Even though AT&T said today they expect record phone sales this quarter.

I only found this article on digitimes, which says Apple's demand for part is going up 20% next yr?

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20121204PD210.html

Could the drop be attributed to the iRadio being 'nowhere close' rumor? Which would be lol

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada
Apple knows that there iphone and ipad devices are coming to and end. The minuscule changes/upgrades apple offres every iteration are not good enough anymore. So lets start releasing a new device, (iphone5, 5S, ipad mini) with shorter and shorter interval to be able to make as much money as possible..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.