Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:42 AM   #1
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Dell ST2421L

Looking at getting at 24" monitor for my 2012 Mac Mini. I've heard good things about Dell monitors. Has anyone used the ST2421L?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...t=dell+st2421l

Thanks!
__________________
Two2seveN
Twitter: @nickramato
Instagram: @Amato27
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Hammie
macrumors 65816
 
Hammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wash, DC Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
Looking at getting at 24" monitor for my 2012 Mac Mini. I've heard good things about Dell monitors. Has anyone used the ST2421L?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...t=dell+st2421l

Thanks!
Not sure what you application is going to be, but here is my thought.

Its not a bad monitor. I was considering it last night as a matter of fact. However, look at the Samsung 23" 550 Series model. For $20 more, it seems like a better overall display.

I ended up with the 27" Samsung 550 Series since it was on sale for $329.
Hammie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:36 PM   #3
TWO2SEVEN
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Not sure what you application is going to be, but here is my thought.

Its not a bad monitor. I was considering it last night as a matter of fact. However, look at the Samsung 23" 550 Series model. For $20 more, it seems like a better overall display.

I ended up with the 27" Samsung 550 Series since it was on sale for $329.
Thank you!

I only use my Mini for the basics. Internet, email, school work. Nothing graphic intensive.
__________________
Two2seveN
Twitter: @nickramato
Instagram: @Amato27
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4
TWO2SEVEN
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Is LED better than LCD for basic usage?

I have also heard I should look for IPS. Any advice?
__________________
Two2seveN
Twitter: @nickramato
Instagram: @Amato27
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:42 PM   #5
thelead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
Is LED better than LCD for basic usage?

I have also heard I should look for IPS. Any advice?
LED is just a marketing term used on tv's and monitors these days. LED lighting is used to illuminate the LCD panel instead of the conventional fluorescent lighting (which is named CCFL). So LED monitors are actually just LCD monitors with a different backlight.

IPS LCDs are great for viewing angels, color reproduction and accuracy. IPS screens are still LCD screens and can be found with either CCFL or LED backlighting. IPS screens are also often pricier than other types of screens.

Hope that helps.
thelead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:49 AM   #6
TWO2SEVEN
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
LED is just a marketing term used on tv's and monitors these days. LED lighting is used to illuminate the LCD panel instead of the conventional fluorescent lighting (which is named CCFL). So LED monitors are actually just LCD monitors with a different backlight.

IPS LCDs are great for viewing angels, color reproduction and accuracy. IPS screens are still LCD screens and can be found with either CCFL or LED backlighting. IPS screens are also often pricier than other types of screens.

Hope that helps.
It does, thanks so much!
__________________
Two2seveN
Twitter: @nickramato
Instagram: @Amato27
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:04 PM   #7
thelead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
It does, thanks so much!
No problem. Here is a great screen at a great price that you would not regret (IPS dell 23"):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+2...&skuId=6814943
thelead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:38 PM   #8
TWO2SEVEN
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
No problem. Here is a great screen at a great price that you would not regret (IPS dell 23"):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+2...&skuId=6814943
Thanks again!
__________________
Two2seveN
Twitter: @nickramato
Instagram: @Amato27
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Hammie
macrumors 65816
 
Hammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wash, DC Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
No problem. Here is a great screen at a great price that you would not regret (IPS dell 23"):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+2...&skuId=6814943
Keep in mind that it is not an HDMI capable monitor if you care. You will either need to use VGA or DVI. Just want to make sure that you will have the correct cable.
Hammie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:35 PM   #10
thelead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Keep in mind that it is not an HDMI capable monitor if you care. You will either need to use VGA or DVI. Just want to make sure that you will have the correct cable.
Yup. the s2340M has dvi while the s2340L has HDMI instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824260105
thelead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:30 AM   #11
TWO2SEVEN
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Keep in mind that it is not an HDMI capable monitor if you care. You will either need to use VGA or DVI. Just want to make sure that you will have the correct cable.
Thank you, I did see that in the reviews. I have a 2012 Mini that I am already using DVI on. I appreciate the heads up!
__________________
Two2seveN
Twitter: @nickramato
Instagram: @Amato27
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Fishrrman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
On the page you posted above, I'd recommend the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M as a better buy.

$70 more, but worth the extra money.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:47 AM   #13
MCAsan
macrumors 68030
 
MCAsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta
Remember if you purchase from Best Buy you likely have to pay sales tax. Via Amazon, Newegg, B&H....typically no sales tax (depending on state) and free shipping.
__________________
Retina MBP 11,3 2.6GHz | 16GB | 1TB
Thunderbolt Display
iPhone 6 | Silver | 128GB | Unlocked
iPad Air 2 | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
28-inch Dell P2815Q vs. 27-inch Dell U2713HM skaertus Mac Peripherals 6 Mar 9, 2014 11:59 PM
Dell 4K Monitor for $2.5K Einz Mac Pro 20 Dec 28, 2013 04:57 PM
Dell.... rei101 Community Discussion 29 Jul 15, 2013 03:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC