Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:23 AM   #101
aseems
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Delhi, India
Many Thanks Simsaladimbamba!

This Line got me -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
[*]Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
How will i know if I broke something by deleting it ?

How do i determine that everything is "working OK" - How long do i have to wait?

I don't want to brick my system ...
__________________
--
Aseems

iPhone 4, iPad 2, 2012 MBA 13
aseems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:50 AM   #102
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseems View Post
How will i know if I broke something by deleting it ?

How do i determine that everything is "working OK" - How long do i have to wait?

I don't want to brick my system ...
It's very unlikely you'll "brick" your system. You can usually tell right away, if your computer restarts and launches your normal apps successfully.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:26 AM   #103
aseems
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Delhi, India
This works very well!!!!

The Video was really helpful


Many Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Not really, as all the apps that promise to do so are not as thorough as the manual method.
Have a look at this visual presentation of the steps outlined in above post:
YouTube: video
__________________
--
Aseems

iPhone 4, iPad 2, 2012 MBA 13
aseems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:56 PM   #104
benhollberg
macrumors 68020
 
benhollberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I have been trying to do this, and have done it before but today when I search for the application the little + icon is a - and I cannot click it. Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet, I did go through the prior steps correctly I believe.
__________________
Twitter, YouTube
benhollberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:59 PM   #105
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhollberg View Post
I have been trying to do this, and have done it before but today when I search for the application the little + icon is a - and I cannot click it. Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet, I did go through the prior steps correctly I believe.
Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:00 PM   #106
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhollberg View Post
I have been trying to do this, and have done it before but today when I search for the application the little + icon is a - and I cannot click it. Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet, I did go through the prior steps correctly I believe.
Complete steps 1-7 of those instructions, then take a screen shot of your Finder window and post it.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:03 PM   #107
benhollberg
macrumors 68020
 
benhollberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?
Can't click it.

__________________
Twitter, YouTube
benhollberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:05 PM   #108
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhollberg View Post
Can't click it.

Image
Click on Macintosh HD before you search. You're looking in All My Files, which is a search result in itself. Re-read the instructions and don't skip any steps, as you have.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:07 PM   #109
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
To go to Macintosh HD, go to Finder and press CMD+SHIFT+C and double click on the device called "Macintosh HD".
Then follow the steps outlined by Mister GGJstudios.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:17 PM   #110
benhollberg
macrumors 68020
 
benhollberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Click on Macintosh HD before you search. You're looking in All My Files, which is a search result in itself. Re-read the instructions and don't skip any steps, as you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
To go to Macintosh HD, go to Finder and press CMD+SHIFT+C and double click on the device called "Macintosh HD".
Then follow the steps outlined by Mister GGJstudios.
Great, got it thanks guys.
__________________
Twitter, YouTube
benhollberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:43 AM   #111
improver
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:


To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

  2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

  3. In Finder, select View > "as List", if you haven't already done so. Do not use "as Icons" for this procedure.

  4. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

  5. In Snow Leopard and earlier, click "File Name" instead of "Contents" for better results.
    In Lion and later, click the + button below the search term, then select "Name" "Contains" and enter the app name. (see image)
    Attachment 357383
  6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

  7. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

  8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

  9. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

  10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

  11. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.
Attachment 338830
Click here to see a video demonstration of this procedure, created by simsaladimbamba.

Edit: In some rare instances, an app may create hidden files or folders. In such instances, follow steps 6 and 7, then repeat those steps to add another criteria, this time choosing "File visibility" > "Visible or Invisible". Then proceed with the remainder of the steps.
Maybe I am missing something but my system appears differently so I can not follow the steps above. As you can see from the screen shot I uploaded there is no option for MacHD is 'This Mac' the same? I notice in the video clip someone posted that they had both This Mac AND a Mac HD option and chose the Mac HD option.

Is this the reason that when I search I only get shown 1 file?

I did ask apple support how to delete things but they told me to drag to trash but it seems that things I have installed that are not from app store can not be dragged to the trash (certainly I am unable to it just won't let me).

I have a number of programs I want to uninstall fully and remove all of the related files so really need to learn the best way of doing it, any help would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 16.39.59.png
Views:	30
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	449174  
improver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:55 AM   #112
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by improver View Post
Maybe I am missing something but my system appears differently so I can not follow the steps above. As you can see from the screen shot I uploaded there is no option for MacHD is 'This Mac' the same? I notice in the video clip someone posted that they had both This Mac AND a Mac HD option and chose the Mac HD option.

Is this the reason that when I search I only get shown 1 file?

I did ask apple support how to delete things but they told me to drag to trash but it seems that things I have installed that are not from app store can not be dragged to the trash (certainly I am unable to it just won't let me).

I have a number of programs I want to uninstall fully and remove all of the related files so really need to learn the best way of doing it, any help would be most appreciated.
You are on Mavericks, so it looks different than some of the the older screenshots in this thread. See my screenshot below from Mavericks.

Click "This Mac" and that will search Macintosh HD as well as any attached drives.

I think the bit you are missing is you have not told Finder to include "System files". Just click the plus next to save and add system files are included like in my screenshot. You don't need that "kind" option you have there.

You can delete App Store apps this way by just selecting the app and hitting command-delete then you will be prompted for your admin password.

Thumb resize.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:37 PM   #113
improver
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Thanks Weaselboy that worked. :-)
improver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 07:10 PM   #114
zarmanto
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

UPDATE for OS X 10.9 Mavericks ...
I just registered for this forum solely for the purpose of saying this: You rock, man. I was searching Google for "Uninstall LogMeIn" (as they have dropped their non-commercial offering entirely) and had no luck at all until I got here; I just used your instructions to dump the last vestiges of LogMeIn from two of my Macs. Thanks!

Last edited by zarmanto; Feb 3, 2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: adding appropriate search engine keywords for others like me
zarmanto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:04 PM   #115
dansm15
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Thanks

The fix worked
dansm15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:14 PM   #116
tm0000
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Hi,

Iím trying to use these instructions to fully delete programs, but I canít figure out how to search in the library. The note on top of the instructions say "on this version of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.Ē

So, can you please help me?

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

UPDATE for OS X 10.9 Mavericks: It has been discovered that on this version of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

    In some cases, when you try to quit a process, it automatically relaunches. If that is the case, you can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want, including the app you want to delete:

    • System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems

    Once you've removed the app from the startup list, restart your Mac and proceed with the uninstall process below.

  2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

  3. In Finder, select View > "as List", if you haven't already done so. Do not use "as Icons" for this procedure.

  4. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

  5. In Snow Leopard and earlier, click "File Name" instead of "Contents" for better results.
    In Lion and later, click the + button below the search term, then select "Name" "Contains" and enter the app name. (see image)
    Attachment 357383
  6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

  7. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

  8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

  9. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

  10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

  11. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.
Attachment 338830
Click here to see a video demonstration of this procedure, created by simsaladimbamba.

Edit: In some rare instances, an app may create hidden files or folders. In such instances, follow steps 6 and 7, then repeat those steps to add another criteria, this time choosing "File visibility" > "Visible or Invisible". Then proceed with the remainder of the steps.
tm0000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:27 PM   #117
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm0000 View Post
Hi,

Iím trying to use these instructions to fully delete programs, but I canít figure out how to search in the library. The note on top of the instructions say "on this version of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.Ē

So, can you please help me?

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.
Since Mavericks the method of using Finder explained in this thread no longer works without manually navigating to the specific folder you want to search over and over.

Just install the app iFileX to do the searches and not have to bother with this work around. Much easier.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:45 PM   #118
tm0000
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
I noticed an app called "DiscCatatlogMaker Re" on my macbook a few days ago. I did not install it.

When using iFileX to search for the app, it says there are no matches found. But finder does find the app. What should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Since Mavericks the method of using Finder explained in this thread no longer works without manually navigating to the specific folder you want to search over and over.

Just install the app iFileX to do the searches and not have to bother with this work around. Much easier.
tm0000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:52 PM   #119
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm0000 View Post
I noticed an app called "DiscCatatlogMaker Re" on my macbook a few days ago. I did not install it.

When using iFileX to search for the app, it says there are no matches found. But finder does find the app. What should I do?
From here it looks like that app comes with Toast. Did you install Toast?

Where are you seeing it in Finder?

If it can be seen in Finder a search like this in iFileX should show it.

Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 03:10 PM   #120
tm0000
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Yes, I did install toast. Do you think I need DiscCatalogMaker?

So, with iFileX, I just follow the instructions that are in this thread? ..Search name contains "app name", system files "are included" and files visibility - "visible or invisible".

I don't have to search the library, right?

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
From here it looks like that app comes with Toast. Did you install Toast?

Where are you seeing it in Finder?

If it can be seen in Finder a search like this in iFileX should show it.

Image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 3.03.12 PM.png
Views:	10
Size:	539.0 KB
ID:	494930  
tm0000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:41 PM   #121
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm0000 View Post
Yes, I did install toast. Do you think I need DiscCatalogMaker?
You can see here what it does and decide. I know it is not something I would ever use.

Quote:
So, with iFileX, I just follow the instructions that are in this thread? ..Search name contains "app name", system files "are included" and files visibility - "visible or invisible".

I don't have to search the library, right?
No... you don't need to mess with any of those settings with iFileX. Just the default setup like in your screenshot will find anything on the disk with that name.

Where exactly in Finder are you still seeing DiscCatalogMaker that makes you think it is still on the drive?
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 07:25 PM   #122
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Since Mavericks the method of using Finder explained in this thread no longer works without manually navigating to the specific folder you want to search over and over.
A bit of clarification is due here. You don't have to manually navigate to specific folders and search over and over. This change in Mavericks simply means that in addition to searching your entire computer for the app to be deleted, you must perform one additional search by first navigating to the Library folder, then performing the described search there. That will search the entire Library folder, including all subfolders. While you may prefer to use a 3rd party app instead, it isn't required to get the desired results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm0000 View Post
So, can you please help me?
I just now saw your post. You can either continue working on the iFileX method, or simply go back and search from the Library folder in Finder, as described above. As stated in the post you quoted:
Quote:
You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.
That means you go to your Library folder (in Finder, hold the Option key down while you click Go > Library). Now, perform your search with System Files included.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 08:29 PM   #123
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
A bit of clarification is due here. You don't have to manually navigate to specific folders and search over and over. This change in Mavericks simply means that in addition to searching your entire computer for the app to be deleted, you must perform one additional search by first navigating to the Library folder, then performing the described search there. That will search the entire Library folder, including all subfolders. While you may prefer to use a 3rd party app instead, it isn't required to get the desired results.
I did not say it was required. What I said is accurate. If you want to make sure you get everything in Finder, you have to do multiple searches (searching over and over). That can be avoided by using iFileX and doing just one search. No clarification is necessary.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 08:39 PM   #124
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I did not say it was required. What I said is accurate. If you want to make sure you get everything in Finder, you have to do multiple searches (searching over and over).
It's not multiple searches. It's two searches.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 08:41 PM   #125
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It's not multiple searches. It's two searches.
You need to go look up the meaning of the word multiple.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to fully delete apps from iTunes 11.0.1 help?! J10110 iPhone 7 May 22, 2013 12:28 PM
iPhone ewon't delete emails when I delete them on my MacBook and I macs. johnstonimages iCloud and Apple Services 3 Mar 12, 2013 11:00 PM
Program will not delete Hetalia MacBook Pro 1 Jan 21, 2013 02:25 PM
If I delete a photo from iPhoto does it delete it in the folder completely? bobright iMac 6 Jan 3, 2013 09:05 PM
How to delete a locked program? khlsq OS X 0 Sep 22, 2012 07:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC