Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I think what you're really saying is that it won't be long before people are back here bitching about the lack of an update?

"Haswell is nearly out and Apple still haven't announced a new model, massive fail, this would never have happened...." etc. etc.

Personally, I think that next year all the hoo-hah will be reserved for the Mac Pro with a silent update of the iMacs late summer.

On the other hand, I am wondering about new retina iMac models, but with small screens (21", maybe even a return of the 17"), a cooler central chipset could make the smaller form factors more viable and they would be pricey, but not sell your children expensive.

6ftunder

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Austria
Anyone change their minds since the full details, tear-downs & reviews of the 2012 machine have emerged?

not at all. I work on a mid 2010 white unibody Macbook with 2 GB of RAM, while Photoshop eats up more than a half of that when I'm doing retouching so there is practically no space for me to listen to iTunes or have Safari open. I will also be purchasing the Canon 5D Mark III in the following weeks and I cannot wait to get my hands on the new 27".

Chihawk725

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Wait for the 2014 iMac. It will be 100% future-proof. You'll never need another computer!

No it won't it will have teething issues because of its new form factor! 2015 is the year for sure..... On a more serious note, this computer as I have played with it in store looks and works as good as advertised. I have seen in person and heard from others with more CPU intense software that it runs much cooler than the 2011 iMac ovens and if you opt for the best i7 processor absolutely nothing coming out next year will run significantly faster. Worrying about energy use of the CPU makes sense, if this was a battery powered device, but as it plugs into the wall many of the important upgrades haswell hopes to bring, speed, efficiency, cooler running, seem to already be excellent in the latest model. If retina comes out it will be like the current status of the apple MacBook pros and ipads where both will still be offered with retina being much more expensive. Don't let the worry of unforseen and as of yet unmentioned teething issues scare you out of making a great decision

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
I'd love to, but...

I'm going for 2013 because:

a. I rarely buy the first iteration of a model. I worry about production issues. Don't get me wrong, many can't be avoided but I assume they won't everything figured out right from the beginning.

b. My machine still ticks. A few years ago, I would've been ok w/ changing machines every few years. Now I re-evaluated the wants vs needs.

c. I just bought the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 this year and my wife will kill me if I ask for another 'toy'!

:p

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I'll be waiting to see what the 2013 model has to offer, and I agree it'll probably hit mid-year--the shortest release cycle in recent history. After the 6-month iPad 3 to iPad 4 cycle, I'm not about to risk taking that kind of value hit on an even more expensive piece of equipment.

Rumors have started circulating this week about Intel refreshing Ivy Bridge already in the meantime in order to bring the power usage down even further. So there's a chance we'll see a silent refresh even sooner. Now just seems like a pretty bad time to buy, unless you really have to have it now in which case I completely understand taking the plunge sooner rather than later.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
I'm sure the 2016 iMac will have touchscreen and blu ray drive. I just know it.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Just got word from an inside source that the 2018 iMac is going to have a built-in Fleshlight. No way I'm buying one until then.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Is the screen quality really any better than the screens that the 27" iMac has had since 2009? Seems to be the same quality with just a revised production process (black smudging / dust not withstanding). Apple will always big up some new technique but essentially it's likely that the screen quality remains the same with no discernible difference.

EDIT: I guess the "less reflective" screen on the new iMac can be considered an improvement.

I have the new imac side by side with the late 2009 one and the screen on the new imac looks much better. Colors are more vidid, my old imac looks wash out.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Don't be surprised if Apple skip Haswell altogether, even if they do release Haswell powered iMacs i don't think you will see them to late next year. I say grab the 2012. The 2012 has usb3, thunderbolt, killer GPU options and great cpu speeds. There isn't any real feature worth waiting for if you need an iMac now.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I have the new imac side by side with the late 2009 one and the screen on the new imac looks much better. Colors are more vidid, my old imac looks wash out.

That's oxidation for you. It uses an old screen that experienced wear and tear.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Don't be surprised if Apple skip Haswell altogether, even if they do release Haswell powered iMacs i don't think you will see them to late next year. I say grab the 2012. The 2012 has usb3, thunderbolt, killer GPU options and great cpu speeds. There isn't any real feature worth waiting for if you need an iMac now.

Unless there is something not quite right with the Ivy bridge processor I think there is very little motivation for Apple to rush out with Haswell iMacs. So late July 2013 at the earliest BUT most likely September...

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Intel released Sandy Bridge parts suitable for the iMac in April 2012, it took until November 2012 for an iMac with these parts to become available.

The interval between the 2011 and 2012 updates was around 18 months.

Draw your own conclusions.

That wasn't typical though.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
That wasn't typical though.

No, but 4-6 month lag between new CPU launched and getting them inside a Mac are not atypical. Particularly when there is little motivation (i.e not a huge computing power increase and integrated graphics not an issue with iMacs nor the thermals it would appear)

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
I waited so long for the late 2012 iMac that I'm now on the fence about buying one. I sold my 27 inch 2011 model early in the year thinking the new iMac was just around the corner. Waited months and months until I couldn't take it any more and got the 21 inch 2011 model to tide me over until the 2012 model was released.

But now I'm considering just waiting for the Haswell MBP Retina. It shouldn't be that long of a wait, and I think Haswell has a lot more to offer notebooks than it does desktops.

My only beef with the current MBP notebooks is that when I push them hard, the fans spin up like crazy to exhaust the heat and the noise is too distracting to work with. That's one of the main reasons I use an iMac instead - even if I push this puppy it's nearly silent.

If Haswell can give me the power of an iMac without the noise, I might switch.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I waited so long for the late 2012 iMac that I'm now on the fence about buying one. I sold my 27 inch 2011 model early in the year thinking the new iMac was just around the corner. Waited months and months until I couldn't take it any more and got the 21 inch 2011 model to tide me over until the 2012 model was released.

But now I'm considering just waiting for the Haswell MBP Retina. It shouldn't be that long of a wait, and I think Haswell has a lot more to offer notebooks than it does desktops.

My only beef with the current MBP notebooks is that when I push them hard, the fans spin up like crazy to exhaust the heat and the noise is too distracting to work with. That's one of the main reasons I use an iMac instead - even if I push this puppy it's nearly silent.

If Haswell can give me the power of an iMac without the noise, I might switch.

All fair. But I don't need portable power - at a premium - so the iMac it is for me

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
Haswell likely to be more energy efficient

But it will feature a somewhat higher TDP. (84 watt vs 77 for Ivy), so somewhat more energy hungry, for some minor, but nevertheless, performance improvements. There're no sign of anything spectaculair in the GPU department either. Only minor increases in performance (the iMac doesn't use the IGP of the CPU, so no reason there).

I wouldn't dear and wait it out. I know I did last time. It's a way to long, way to hard road ...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Why wait for an iMac in 2013 when you could wait for one in 2014? Or 2015?

I find it hard to believe that an Ivy Bridge iMac isn't fast enough for the OP. Yes, the next model will be faster. But what good is tomorrow's computer if you need to get to work today?

This sort of thread comes up every year. Let's face facts: ANY system bought in the last few years is still ridiculously fast. Honestly, my 2009 27" i7 iMac is still VERY fast, even by comparison to my decked-out 2012 27" i7 iMac. I sincerely doubt any processor upgrade coming in 2013 will make any difference to me.

People said the same thing about pre-Sandy Bridge -> Sandy Bridge, and then Sandy Bridge is silly to buy now because Ivy Bridge will be out soon blah blah blah.

Anyway, if you need an iMac now, buy one now. If you don't, then don't. It's that simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.