Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
Im in search for my wife a gift for xmas,i had my mind set on the new ipad mini for her but i recently came across a post on CL of someone selling a 11" Macbook Air A1370 60GB Model for $600 now im confused. Need help from my Macrumors family. What would you guys do dont wanna blow it

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Im in search for my wife a gift for xmas,i had my mind set on the new ipad mini for her but i recently came across a post on CL of someone selling a 11" Macbook Air A1370 60GB Model for $600 now im confused. Need help from my Macrumors family. What would you guys do dont wanna blow it

Get the iPad, and if it turns out she'd prefer an Air you can always return it and get her the Air later.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I would personally rather go with the MBA over the iPad mini. Although, if you were considering either MBA or the iPad 4 -- that might be a more difficult decision to make.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
spec wise which one is the better buy

The one she is happiest with is the better buy.

The Air has the better specs, but if she would enjoy using the Mini more then that doesn't matter. It all depends on her needs.

Get the Mini, let her use it for two weeks then she can decide if she'd rather a traditional laptop. Two weeks will also be neough time for her to decide if she would prefer the larger iPad. Your first attempt at buying her a computer doesn't have to be bang on; it will be fine if wants to change it.

Just don't get it engraved.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
If she needs a laptop, get the Air. If not, get the iPad.

she's a women she's not a die hard apple fanatic like i am. if you ask her she is content with the 1st ipad i got for her when that first came out

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Dear god, I'm glad I don't have the OP for a husband! :D

You don't even know if your wife needs a laptop, but you are simply considering it because it is cheap? A tablet and a laptop are totally different devices, with totally different use cases. IF your wife wants a laptop, then the Air is a good gift. But if she doesn't need/want a laptop, then it isn't a good gift, no matter how cheap it is.

For example, I like to use my iPad to read in bed. For that, a laptop with a keyboard is no good, because the keyboard gets in the way. So if my husband got me an Air instead of an iPad, I'd be mad. (Now an Air *in addition to* an iPad -- that I'd take! :D)

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Does she have a laptop? If not get her the mini since she has a 1st gen ipad already. The late 2011 MBA is still more than capable as a laptop.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
i would rather have a laptop than an ipad.

BUT she is not a heavy user so the ipad will be perfect for browsing the web, getting email and of course APPS!!

My wife loves her ipad for her uses, and the Macbook sits under the bed unless she needs to put songs on her ipod

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Get her the mini and call it a day. That way you can give her a brand new never opened gift (laptop might appear used and might not even work, looks cheap either way). Then you can also pocket a few $$$ to take her out to dinner. Problem solved!

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
Get her the mini and call it a day. That way you can give her a brand new never opened gift (laptop might appear used and might not even work, looks cheap either way). Then you can also pocket a few $$$ to take her out to dinner. Problem solved!

that sounds like a great idea!!!! i was just thinkin of getting her the mini, and when i get the rmbp ill just give her my 2011 mbp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.