Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I am changing over from the windows world to the Mac World!:D

I have a MBA currently (have had it for 2 months) and then I just ordered the imac 27inch that I should be receiving in the next 3 weeks.

I was talking to the apple store guys this weekend about the best way to use iphoto with the two pc's.

I would think there must be an easy way to be able to get to your iphoto library from the MBA and from the desktop.

Just curious how most people do it.

I will be at the desktop 90% of my time.
I will take the Air on vacations and want to upload photos and create albums while on vacation (we like to look at the pics at the end of the day)
Would like the ability to sit on the couch at home and look at the pics from the Air also.

while at home - Is there an easy set up to have both pc's get to the iphoto library. (or do I always just need to work from the desktop)

When I come back from vacation is there a to move the pics/albums to the home iphoto library.

I hope this is making sense.

delphus

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Brazil
I am changing over from the windows world to the Mac World!:D

I have a MBA currently (have had it for 2 months) and then I just ordered the imac 27inch that I should be receiving in the next 3 weeks.

I was talking to the apple store guys this weekend about the best way to use iphoto with the two pc's.

I would think there must be an easy way to be able to get to your iphoto library from the MBA and from the desktop.

Just curious how most people do it.

I will be at the desktop 90% of my time.
I will take the Air on vacations and want to upload photos and create albums while on vacation (we like to look at the pics at the end of the day)
Would like the ability to sit on the couch at home and look at the pics from the Air also.

while at home - Is there an easy set up to have both pc's get to the iphoto library. (or do I always just need to work from the desktop)

When I come back from vacation is there a to move the pics/albums to the home iphoto library.

I hope this is making sense.

Yep, I've been trying to do the same with iTunes but no success so far. Yet, as iPhoto Library seems like a single file, you may be able to open it with the second iPhoto on your air if you share files between both macs. And it can't be done automatic, I mean, you will need to login on network file sharing then open iPhoto lib... It's kinda pain in the ass but it should work.
For instance, all my iPhoto lib is in a external hard drive, away from my User folder, which makes easier to share on network.

Hopefully this post made any sense to you.
Cheers

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
iPhoto library is not really meant to be shared. Giving two computers access to the same library can lead to corruption.

I am not too sure about transferring photos using iPhoto because I prefer to use Aperture. With Aperture... it is easy to create new projects on my MBA when in the field... and do sorting, keywording, stacking, editing, etc, etc... and then transfer the projects into my iMac when I return home. The program is made to do that very well.

At home... I would recommend that you do all of the work on the iMac and NOT try to share the database. You can publish albums, slideshows, etc... and view those on other devices. I use Apple TVs.

/Jim

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I solved the problem of sync by going with just one machine...a rMBP. You can hook it up to ATD and basically create an iMac that can go portable.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
I run the same iPhoto database for an iMac and a MacBook Pro by storing it on my network drive (NAS, a Synology DS411J). iMac can access it over Ethernet and MacBook can access it over WiFi.

I do make sure that only of them uses it at any one time. This also allows other accounts on my iMac to access it, with this iPhoto database being the master database.

I do make a few manual backup copies on the network drive every now and again, just to be safe, and due to the sheer size of it now will be jumping over to Aperture though.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
thanks to all -

I run the same iPhoto database for an iMac and a MacBook Pro by storing it on my network drive (NAS, a Synology DS411J). iMac can access it over Ethernet and MacBook can access it over WiFi.

I do make sure that only of them uses it at any one time. This also allows other accounts on my iMac to access it, with this iPhoto database being the master database.

I do make a few manual backup copies on the network drive every now and again, just to be safe, and due to the sheer size of it now will be jumping over to Aperture though.

I did purchase a NAS - WD Live Duo...haven't even opened it yet..waiting for the imac 27 to get it alls set up. Sounds like you are saying I could put the iphoto library on the NAS then any of the macs can view it and update it.

Interesting on teh users too. Are you saying that normally if there are multiple users, that the iphoto library is just for ONE user. (if stored on the actual imac).

I would want to have the iphoto backed up on the NAS too. I got a 6 terabyte so I could store files there and back up the air and the imac.

So you have your imac hardwired to the NAS (via ethernet) and then the MBP goes through wireless.

that all sounds good.

NOW I would just need to figure out the "I am traveling - how do i get everything from my Air to the iphoto library on the NAS when I get home"

Although I am told I can get to the NAS through the internet..so I wonder if that would solve it.

Sounds like I also might just want to look at how apature works.

Black Diesel

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011

Would I be able to do this an an Airport Extreme? - Store the iphoto library on the airport extreme, the iMac is hard wired to it, MBP or iPad would be able to use wifi, and I believe iPhone could access it remotely through cellular data plan? This would be nice if it works....if anyone knows please fill me in.

Thanks

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
I did purchase a NAS - WD Live Duo...haven't even opened it yet..waiting for the imac 27 to get it alls set up. Sounds like you are saying I could put the iphoto library on the NAS then any of the macs can view it and update it.

Yeah, any of the Macs and any of the accounts on any of the Macs.

Interesting on teh users too. Are you saying that normally if there are multiple users, that the iphoto library is just for ONE user. (if stored on the actual imac).

I've read some bad stuff happening when you have more than one user trying to access the iPhoto database at the same time. Not tried it, so couldn't say, but its something I avoid doing just because its hassle I'd like to avoid.

I would want to have the iphoto backed up on the NAS too. I got a 6 terabyte so I could store files there and back up the air and the imac.

I just copy and paste the database file every now and again to a separate folder. No need to get complicated with it. I've got my NAS set up with RAID as well.

So you have your imac hardwired to the NAS (via ethernet) and then the MBP goes through wireless.

Got the NAS hooked up to a switch, along with the iMac. Got a cable for the MBP ready if I want to use it, but I'm lazy, so I stick with wireless :D

NOW I would just need to figure out the "I am traveling - how do i get everything from my Air to the iphoto library on the NAS when I get home"

2 options:

1. Copy the database file to your Air pre-travelling and whack everything in to that while travelling and then copy that database file to your NAS when you get home.

2. Just collect the photos while travelling and then when home, access the iPhoto database when you are back home on your network.

Although I am told I can get to the NAS through the internet..so I wonder if that would solve it.

How many photos you got or planning to have in your library? Mine is up to 10GB, I'd hate to have to access that remotely haha

Sounds like I also might just want to look at how apature works.

Apparently, easier for situations like this, as you can see, I'm mentioning work arounds. I do plan on upgrading to Aperture though, with the size of library I'm amassing.

Would I be able to do this an an Airport Extreme? - Store the iphoto library on the airport extreme, the iMac is hard wired to it, MBP or iPad would be able to use wifi, and I believe iPhone could access it remotely through cellular data plan? This would be nice if it works....if anyone knows please fill me in.

Thanks

Airport Extreme has a USB port for an external hard drive right? Stick a hard drive in there, you've essentially got your NAS setup then and you can then "share" your iPhoto database on that, although as I said, one user at a time.

iPhone as far as I'm aware cannot access a Mac iPhoto library.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I am not very good with the quoting in the forums...so here it goes!

Yeah, any of the Macs and any of the accounts on any of the Macs.

I've read some bad stuff happening when you have more than one user trying to access the iPhoto database at the same time. Not tried it, so couldn't say, but its something I avoid doing just because its hassle I'd like to avoid.

I just copy and paste the database file every now and again to a separate folder. No need to get complicated with it. I've got my NAS set up with RAID as well.

Got the NAS hooked up to a switch, along with the iMac. Got a cable for the MBP ready if I want to use it, but I'm lazy, so I stick with wireless :D

2 options:

1. Copy the database file to your Air pre-travelling and whack everything in to that while travelling and then copy that database file to your NAS when you get home.

I guess this is a good option if it will fit on the air.

2. Just collect the photos while travelling and then when home, access the iPhoto database when you are back home on your network.

- don't prefer this as like looking at them and even editing while flying back on the planet etc.
How many photos you got or planning to have in your library? Mine is up to 10GB, I'd hate to have to access that remotely haha
[/QUOTE]

Apparently, easier for situations like this, as you can see, I'm mentioning work arounds. I do plan on upgrading to Aperture though, with the size of library I'm amassing.

so would Aperature eliviate the using two different computers

Mine is not that big!! No where near that.
I was thinking not necessarily accessing the existing photos as it is to load the new ones while traveling.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
so would Aperature eliviate the using two different computers

Aperture 3 (A3) is FANTASTIC about letting you share your workload across two computers. It still does NOT let you access the database by two users at once... but it does allow you to split your workload across two machines.

In A3... the most basic element is called a "project". It is trivial to move projects between multiple machines.

The most basic way that I use this is to keep my main A3 library (currently 360GB) on my iMac. When I travel... I continually upload new photos into A3 into a new project specific to that trip. When I get home... I export that project (or projects) from the MBA, and import them into my iMac. It is flawless. Any editing, key wording, stack picks, rating, etc all come over intact into my main A3 library.

It goes even further. Let's say I am traveling... and want to do some work on an older project while I'm away. For example... I have a project called "2012-11-03 Kauai" that I want to do some work on. I can actually export that project from my iMac... and import it into both my MBA and my wife's MBA (It is also still also on the iMac). We can go through and each edit independently on our own MBAs. For example... she might keyword people... I might rate the pictures and choose stack picks. When we get home... we could then merge both sets of edits into the master library and all of the combined edits are done. It is pretty remarkable.

Just bite the bullet and switch to A3. It is only $80 in the app store... and if you buy iTunes gift cards when they are on sale for 20% discounts... A3 is effectively only $64. It is one of the best bargains in field of computing. A3 is a good enough program to justify switching from PC to Mac.

/Jim

Last edited:

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Aperture 3 (A3) is FANTASTIC about letting you share your workload across two computers. It still does NOT let you access the database by two users at once... but it does allow you to split your workload across two machines.

In A3... the most basic element is called a "project". It is trivial to move projects between multiple machines.

The most basic way that I use this is to keep my main A3 library (currently 360GB) on my iMac. When I travel... I continually upload new photos into A3 into a new project specific to that trip. When I get home... I export that project (or projects) from the MBA, and import them into my iMac. It is flawless. Any editing, key wording, stack picks, rating, etc all come over intact into my main A3 library.

It goes even further. Let's say I am traveling... and want to do some work on an older project while I'm away. For example... I have a project called "2012-11-03 Kauai" that I want to do some work on. I can actually export that project from my iMac... and import it into both my MBA and my wife's MBA (It is also still also on the iMac). We can go through and each edit independently on our own MBAs. For example... she might keyword people... I might rate the pictures and choose stack picks. When we get home... we could then merge both sets of edits into the master library and all of the combined edits are done. It is pretty remarkable.

Just bite the bullet and switch to A3. It is only $80 in the app store... and if you buy iTunes gift cards when they are on sale for 20% discounts... A3 is effectively only $64. It is one of the best bargains in field of computing. A3 is a good enough program to justify switching from PC to Mac.

/Jim

SOLD! that is exactly what I need..and intersting enough just spent last night in iphoto working on KAUA:D I!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the most beautiful places ever....

Going to buy it and then I need it on my air and my imac. do you purchase multiple license. I did go look at it after I posted and then saw your response. I haven't checked the multiple pc license thing yet.

So if you are both working on the same library...on each air...just curious if you update the same picture - with tags....places, faces, and photo editing..how does it merge if you work and both edit the same one.
Just curious...

I am excited now.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
SOLD! that is exactly what I need..and intersting enough just spent last night in iphoto working on KAUA:D I!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the most beautiful places ever....

Going to buy it and then I need it on my air and my imac. do you purchase multiple license. I did go look at it after I posted and then saw your response. I haven't checked the multiple pc license thing yet.

So if you are both working on the same library...on each air...just curious if you update the same picture - with tags....places, faces, and photo editing..how does it merge if you work and both edit the same one.
Just curious...

I am excited now.

When you purchase Aperture 3 on the Mac App Store (MAS)... it is good for all of the computers that you own. Just use one shared Apple ID for the store. Multiple family members can have their individual Apple IDs for personal stuff (mail, calendars, syncing, etc)... but you can all share a single ID for the MAS.

I have never had multiple people editing the libraries at once (because this is my job in the family)... but the way A3 works.... each individual field merges independently.

So... lets say that you and your wife were both doing keyword editing. She could be keywording people in the photo. You could be keywording other items (ex: Landscape, portrait, family vacation, etc). When both of your "remote" libraries are merged back into the master library on your mac... each of you individual edits would be put into their respective fields... and they would not overwrite each other.

What I do not know is what would happen if you both were keywording the same thing... and had conflicting keywords. I *THINK* (but I do not know)... you would get both sets of keywords. Truthfully, this is not something that I do.

One thing that I STRONGLY recommend is to buy the very inexpensive ebooks authored by Robert Boyer. In particular, I recommend the "Organization" and "File Mangement" books. I just love his no-bs and very opinionated writing style.

There are a couple of terminology changes that Apple made in the latest release that may not be up to date in the books yet... but they are easy to understand. For example... Apple changed the name "Master" to "Original" in reference to the actual image that is imported. A3 uses non-destructive editing... so the "original" is never changed. Instead... A3 keeps track of the changes and applies them to "versions". This will all become clear if you read Boyer's books. They are not very large... but I learn more every time I re-read them. It is a favorite pastime of mine while on commercial flights. http://photo.rwboyer.com

/Jim

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks so much and for the link to the book!

When you purchase Aperture 3 on the Mac App Store (MAS)... it is good for all of the computers that you own. Just use one shared Apple ID for the store. Multiple family members can have their individual Apple IDs for personal stuff (mail, calendars, syncing, etc)... but you can all share a single ID for the MAS.

I have never had multiple people editing the libraries at once (because this is my job in the family)... but the way A3 works.... each individual field merges independently.

So... lets say that you and your wife were both doing keyword editing. She could be keywording people in the photo. You could be keywording other items (ex: Landscape, portrait, family vacation, etc). When both of your "remote" libraries are merged back into the master library on your mac... each of you individual edits would be put into their respective fields... and they would not overwrite each other.

What I do not know is what would happen if you both were keywording the same thing... and had conflicting keywords. I *THINK* (but I do not know)... you would get both sets of keywords. Truthfully, this is not something that I do.

One thing that I STRONGLY recommend is to buy the very inexpensive ebooks authored by Robert Boyer. In particular, I recommend the "Organization" and "File Mangement" books. I just love his no-bs and very opinionated writing style.

There are a couple of terminology changes that Apple made in the latest release that may not be up to date in the books yet... but they are easy to understand. For example... Apple changed the name "Master" to "Original" in reference to the actual image that is imported. A3 uses non-destructive editing... so the "original" is never changed. Instead... A3 keeps track of the changes and applies them to "versions". This will all become clear if you read Boyer's books. They are not very large... but I learn more every time I re-read them. It is a favorite pastime of mine while on commercial flights. http://photo.rwboyer.com

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.