Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Appletvgk
macrumors member

Uninterruptible power supply issue

Im in the market for a UPS. I want it to protect my mac mini and external drives in a power outage, mainly for the feature of being able to turn properly shut my mac. The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is the fact that OS X Lion has issues shutting down when certain apps are running and if I'm not present to shut them, the system would be abruptly shutdown when the battery dies. Has anyone found a workaround to this issue?
Appletvgk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Winter Charm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletvgk View Post
Im in the market for a UPS. I want it to protect my mac mini and external drives in a power outage, mainly for the feature of being able to turn properly shut my mac. The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is the fact that OS X Lion has issues shutting down when certain apps are running and if I'm not present to shut them, the system would be abruptly shutdown when the battery dies. Has anyone found a workaround to this issue?
If you didn't get the UPS and your system shut down anyways, you'd still have issues...

The only workaround is to perhaps turn off those certain apps while you're going away, or get a UPS that will keep your mac mini running long enough for you to get back from an average trip away from it to shut it down.

You might be able to build an automator script that lets you close those specific applications in once click before leaving your mac mini...
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:00 PM   #3
sourceups
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletvgk View Post
Hi Appletvgk, Winter Charm is correct. I suggest you would still need to consider looking at purchasing a UPS. I don't want to be accused of spamming! But here is a link to my website if it helps you: http://www.sourceups.co.uk/ups-power

If you just need me to answer any questions you may have that's cool too. Hope this helps. If it's now been resolved, no worries!
sourceups is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X