Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I trusted third party cables with the 30 pin standard because the 30 pin standard didn't have any smarts in the cable. The 30 pin connector had pins such as GND, +5V, USB + and -, analog audio L and R, etc. Even the most incompetent company in the world would have a hard time ****ing up a cable.

But with the new Lightning standard I'm going to have a hard time trusting third party cables. An implementation error could mean a fried phone or unreliable operation. It'll be interesting to hear reports from those braver than I trying this stuff on their phones.

Maybe in a year or so when third party accessories are perfected I'll consider it. But definitely not now.
No kidding. You can buy a $700 phone but $20 is too much for a proper cable? sheesh

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Or a $200 phone on contract that requires another $100 of cables to put one at work, home, computer, car, etc. And doesn't have options like coiled ones for the car. No thanks. If I want LTE, I'll get an SIII.

Hahahaha have fun with that, I'll stay with my phone that doesnt explode when dropped from 3 feet:rolleyes:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
$700 is reasonable for such a powerful smartphone. But $20 may not be reasonable for a .... cable.

You realise that there's actually electronic chips in the cable that dynamically assigns pins functions? That's why it costs a lot

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Hahahaha have fun with that, I'll stay with my phone that doesnt explode when dropped from 3 feet:rolleyes:

Huh? The iPhone is the most fragile phone out there. You could throw a cheap rubber case on a Galaxy S series phones and the thing is almost indestructible. I have a Lifeproof case on my iPhone, and it's probably still more fragile.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Huh? The iPhone is the most fragile phone out there. You could throw a cheap rubber case on a Galaxy S series phones and the thing is almost indestructible. I have a Lifeproof case on my iPhone, and it's probably still more fragile.

Lol... "Throw a case on the Galaxy" no **** it'd last against an iPhone not in a case. If you watch any Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5 drop/abuse test the Galaxy gets ruined and the iPhone fares much better :) Galaxy s3 wouldn't even turn on after a 4 1/2 foot drop

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
You realise that there's actually electronic chips in the cable that dynamically assigns pins functions? That's why it costs a lot

I wasn't aware we had an Apple Cost Procurement Analyist in this thread that knows what it costs to make the cable/connector.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
Thank goodness we're all adults and don't drop our phones, right?

Frankly, my friend's GS3 amazes me. Extremely responsive and swype is hands-down the best on-screen keyboard there is.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Lol... "Throw a case on the Galaxy" no **** it'd last against an iPhone not in a case. If you watch any Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5 drop/abuse test the Galaxy gets ruined and the iPhone fares much better :) Galaxy s3 wouldn't even turn on after a 4 1/2 foot drop

If you actually read, I said my iPhone in it's Lifeproof is probably more fragile than a GSIII in a cheap plastic case. The original Galaxy S was bombproof because it was so plasticy it just bent. The iPhone is much harder, hence more brittle, with glass and steel.

DrLadyTenor

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
So has anyone bought these cables yet???

If so, tell us more - do they work as advertised, how long did it take to get them, overall quality, etc, etc.?

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Duh?

How does this have any bearing on whether a product sucks or not?

Only that your not forced to buy it. If it sucks, you don't buy it. If you don't like it, you don't buy it. If you think Apple has made a bad decision on a product they make. You don't have to buy it.

Also, if you think a product sucks. That's your opinion. Others may share said opinion. But, if it sells well. And you think it sucks. Guess who's right?

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
That's the thing. I don't carry the cables around. I put them in one place and that's right where they stay. One by the bed, one in the car, one at desk and so on. Right now I have a cable I have to carry around everywhere because I only have one. I'd rather just have some basic charging cables and not worry about data, pin switching and all that stuff when a majority of the time I'm just charging my phone. Give me five 6' charging cables and one real apple cable and I'll be perfectly happy.

Yeah would be great if they were all the same but if this chip thing is that big of a deal can't they just bypass it for charging only is more of what I'm asking.

I'm sure the chip thing, does quite a bit. One of which maybe to protect from short circuit. Since you can plug it in both ways. Just a guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.