Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I do watch a lot of movies and TV shows on my iMac so the loss of bass is a bit of a problem with the new machine (when I actually get it!). I was wondering what everybody was going to do about this?

Should I get an external speaker system or should I just go for something like this?

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bassjump/

The price seems okay. 100 bucks is about the most I'd want to pay for speakers.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I do watch a lot of movies and TV shows on my iMac so the loss of bass is a bit of a problem with the new machine (when I actually get it!). I was wondering what everybody was going to do about this?

Should I get an external speaker system or should I just go for something like this?

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bassjump/

The price seems okay. 100 bucks is about the most I'd want to pay for speakers.

The reviews I've read so far actually said that the sound was improved, I wouldn't buy anything before I tested the imac at home.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
My issue with the BassJump thing is that I'll always have its software running in the background on my computer. It's not an issue most of the time, but when I start a long render, I want all the CPU cycles to go to the task at hand, and I don't want to have to kill and restart the process.

I think it's important to just get the iMac and test it out first, though.

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
you can get far better 2.1 systems for that price range... try with edifier s330d!

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
you can get far better 2.1 systems for that price range... try with edifier s330d!

Thanks. I checked that out, but just too big for me. I don't really have room on my desk or around it to put speakers.

That's why the bass jump 2 seemed like a good idea. But I'll keep looking around and wait until I actually get the machine and test it out.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
If you are a music person can't imagine would consider using any internal speaker setup.

Regardless how good or bad the speaker may be. How could you not want a decent set of external speakers with a nice sub.

Digital out put to them.

Defiantly go external.

Logitech Z5500 Awesome speakers you will never go back

other wise less room go for logitech 623,
just single pair with sub small foot print.

worth he space it takes though

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I dont mind mediocre sound. But I hope the 27" will have a bit better bass and sound than the 21.5"....would make sense, since its a bigger device.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
My iMac is plugged into my Yamaha amp though the optical out. My sub solves any bass issues lol.

Same here. Yamaha RX-A810. Got a nice fat Outlaw 12" sub and some Energy V-minis setup in 5.1 that the iMac is connected to. Don't think I've ever used the internal speakers at all on my 2011 iMac.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
I never knew imac had bass to begin with.

I wouldn't get any 'sub' unit for it. Just get a nice pair of 2.0 speakers. Entry level 2.1 speakers sound very bad for their price.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
I never knew imac had bass to begin with.

I wouldn't get any 'sub' unit for it. Just get a nice pair of 2.0 speakers. Entry level 2.1 speakers sound very bad for their price.

iMac's speakers were always pretty nice on mids and trebles reproduction. and lets not forget about the lack of desk space many of us are experiencing.
some mid-level woofer like that BassJump would be pretty good addition to already nice iMac's speakers. lets hope they'll produce a model for iMac specially.

apedance

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Vienna
Good stereo speakers with impressive bass.

99€ -> 129,6801 US-Dollar

klick!

They also offer good 2.1 systems with subwoofer.

You won't be disappointed. Impressive speakers for affordable money! (I use 3 different Teufel systems)

BEST price-performance ratio i've every experienced.

Logitech, bose - never again.

They sell their products on eBay as well.

Last edited:

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
iMac's speakers were always pretty nice on mids and trebles reproduction. and lets not forget about the lack of desk space many of us are experiencing.
some mid-level woofer like that BassJump would be pretty good addition to already nice iMac's speakers. lets hope they'll produce a model for iMac specially.

They have nice mids and treble as in at least they can produce some mids and treble. Let's not forget they're just glorified laptop tweeters thrown into a larger chassis.

There are small space saving 2.0 speakers out there like the Audio-Engine A2. I'm sure there's some cheaper too. For what it's worth, all the lesser 2.1 systems and cheap bass boxes with their 3 inch woofers sound like mud.

I personally use headphones (hifiman he-400) when at the computer and I need a good audio source. Headphones are a great option for good audio while at the computer as well, if the op wants to go that direction.

Cidtek

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Is there a wireless solution because to me an AIO means no desktop clutter.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Good stereo speakers with impressive bass.

99€ -> 129,6801 US-Dollar

klick!

They also offer good 2.1 systems with subwoofer.

You won't be disappointed. Impressive speakers for affordable money! (I use 3 different Teufel systems)

BEST rice-performance ratio i've every experienced.

Logitech, bose - never again.

They sell their products on eBay as well.

Teufel sounds really good, my brother has one of their surround systems. But they only ship within the EU.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I purchased a BassJump 2 based on its looks, small size and previous satisfaction with Twelve South products. It is expensive for what it is, welcome to the world of iMac.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Another thumbs up for the BassJump 2 here. I've had the first BassJump and liked it very much. If you want the most minimal 2.1 setup with the tiniest footprint and the best design to match an iMac, this is it in my opinion. One USB cable and your done.

I think it only has a 4" driver so just don't expect to shake your room with this thing. I don't think the iMac has a built in subwoofer (certainly not the 2012 model!) like the Thundberbolt Display has so this will just round out the sound better with additional low end so your iMac doesn't sound tinny. And that's a good thing.

Of course if your looking to feel the bass in your seat, then you might want to check other, more powerful options.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Another thumbs up for the BassJump 2 here. I've had the first BassJump and liked it very much. If you want the most minimal 2.1 setup with the tiniest footprint and the best design to match an iMac, this is it in my opinion. One USB cable and your done.

Icaras,

Thanks for the confirmation and insight. This is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Tiny footprint, similar imac design and just a bit more oomph.

I will wait until I get my mac but I think this will do the job.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
" New Imac Bass Problem -- What's your solution? "

Wait for the next version of imac to roll out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.