Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Hey Everyone,

I recently switched from AT&T to verizon and am currently using a friends old iPhone 4 (sold my 4s from att) Should I just go ahead and get the 5 or wait for the 5s? The 4 I'm using now is in very good condition its just pretty sluggish, and that may be because I'm used to my 4s. Anyone have an opinion on what I should do?

Edit: I think I should add that I will NOT be upgrading once a year.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
It's hard to believe these questions are popping up already but here is my take...

I would buy the iPhone 5 now. You get a great phone now, and typically with contracts you are eligible for an upgrade around 18-20 months after signing your initial contract. Buying now would make your upgrade eligibility coincide almost perfectly for the iPhone 6 - assuming we see the iPhone 5S next year and the iPhone 6 in 2014 and assuming Apple stays on it current release schedule.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The 5S is my next iPhone. I am on a 2 year contract with my 4S that ends August 2013. It's hard to say, there is "speculation" that Apple might unveil the 5S early (this summer) but that could obviously just be a silly rumor.

I say since you have the 4 now, go ahead and get the 5. The 5 is a pretty nice upgrade over the 4.

And yes, your 4 feels sluggish cuz you're used to the 4S. My friend plays with my 4S sometimes and cant believe how sluggish his 4 is compared to the 4S.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
My recent situation may give you something to think about.

I had the iPhone 3, skipped the 3s, got the iPhone 4 and intended to skip the 4s.
But my 4 died a premature death and the only option I had to get the capacity I wanted at the time was to upgrade to the 4s.

I have to say that the speed improvements between the 4 and 4s were notable. Combining that with the added features AND the fact that it seemed some of the original negative issues associated with building the 4 were resolved with the 4s makes me think I may stick with the 's' version for future iPhones- obviously depending upon features, etc.

It's likely going to be at least 6 months till there is an 's' version (if they release one), so the real question is whether you can stand to use your current phone till then.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
My recent situation may give you something to think about.

I had the iPhone 3, skipped the 3s, got the iPhone 4 and intended to skip the 4s.
But my 4 died a premature death and the only option I had to get the capacity I wanted at the time was to upgrade to the 4s.

I have to say that the speed improvements between the 4 and 4s were notable. Combining that with the added features AND the fact that it seemed some of the original negative issues associated with building the 4 were resolved with the 4s makes me think I may stick with the 's' version for future iPhones- obviously depending upon features, etc.

It's likely going to be at least 6 months till there is an 's' version (if they release one), so the real question is whether you can stand to use your current phone till then.

I think I read a post like this, possibly from you before about skipping non-s versions of the phone and I feel like thats a great idea. I feel like all the kinks are usually worked out in the s versions. To be honest I dont think I can stand to use this phone much longer. The back of the phone falls off constantly because he lost the screws when "fooling around with it", other than that its in fantastic shape its just that...I miss the speed of the 4s and I think going from the 4 now to the 5 would be a massive improvement I just feel like I'm going to get to screwed when the 5s comes out. But then again I would be able to grab the 6 when that releases....hmmmm

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Plain and simple, just buy the 5 now. Just because there are supposed 5S parts leaking out over the internet doesn't mean that you should wait. Your 5 will still work even when the next iPhone is released.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
First of all, the 5S is a loooong ways away so you have to be willing to wait it out.

What you really have to decide though is what kind of person you are. Do you like having the newest stuff right away, or do you like to wait so that they can be refined and perfected?

If you like to have the newest stuff right away, buy the 5 now, and then every two years you can upgrade to the 6, 7, etc.

If you wait and get the 5S next year, and then the 6S two years later, and so on, then you'll be basically getting the same products you'd get if you buy now, but they'll be slightly better, more refined, and less prone to any problems.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
The 5 is just too awesome to wait. If the 5 had kept the A5 processor, I'd say wait. But since we got the new screen, LTE, better battery AND a generational lead in power, the 5 is the one you are looking for.

Do it Do it

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
First of all, the 5S is a loooong ways away so you have to be willing to wait it out.

What you really have to decide though is what kind of person you are. Do you like having the newest stuff right away, or do you like to wait so that they can be refined and perfected?

If you like to have the newest stuff right away, buy the 5 now, and then every two years you can upgrade to the 6, 7, etc.

If you wait and get the 5S next year, and then the 6S two years later, and so on, then you'll be basically getting the same products you'd get if you buy now, but they'll be slightly better, more refined, and less prone to any problems.

I do like to get stuff right when it comes out but recently I have been much more reserved. I do think I am just going to go ahead and bite the bullet on the 5, I might as well. This 4 isnt cutting it for me.

The 5 is just too awesome to wait. If the 5 had kept the A5 processor, I'd say wait. But since we got the new screen, LTE, better battery AND a generational lead in power, the 5 is the one you are looking for.

Do it Do it

I probably will. I do want LTE...

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
I know that you can get a refurbished iP5 16GB from AT&T for $99US - maybe Verizon has the same deal?

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Get some screws from ifixit and sell that 4.
The next step is a little harder.
Buy a used, or refurbished 4s and wait a cycle for the improved 5s
Or
Buy the 5 now and enjoy the LTE goodness.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
I know that you can get a refurbished iP5 16GB from AT&T for $99US - maybe Verizon has the same deal?

I checked, they dont. I wish they do but its only a 100 dollar different, not that that makes it any easier but its not like a 500 dollar difference haha

Get some screws from ifixit and sell that 4.
The next step is a little harder.
Buy a used, or refurbished 4s and wait a cycle for the improved 5s
Or
Buy the 5 now and enjoy the LTE goodness.

How would we even sell the 4? Its CDMA, is it even unlockable because of it not having a sim slot? What do you think my friend could get online for it? (mind you, no original box/cables, anything)

and yeah, I'm probably going to buy it. Cant wait for LTE even though I'm usually always on wifi :p

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I'd upgrade if I were you. You are still very early in the iPhone cycle and the major updates (3g to 4, 4 to 5) are always bigger than the S cycles (3g to 3gs, 4 to 4S). This is assuming that apple will still follow their previous patterns of course

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I'd upgrade if I were you. You are still very early in the iPhone cycle and the major updates (3g to 4, 4 to 5) are always bigger than the S cycles (3g to 3gs, 4 to 4S). This is assuming that apple will still follow their previous patterns of course

I agree! I love my iPhone 5 especially the new aspect ratio. I was looking at the iPhone 4 the other day and everything seemed so cramped with the old aspect ratio. I'm glad they went for more content instead of just making everything bigger like many people want on this site.

It is kind of bothersome that I just got my iPhone 2 weeks ago and I am already stating to hear 5S rumors.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I cannot foresee what they could possibly do with the 5S, way too soon to be thinking about that. CPU / GPU grunt has even started to get used on the 5 yet so I think we're some way off.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
LTE alone is the only reason you should upgrade IMO.. once you experience LTE you can NOT go back to 3G browsing

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
i'm buying everything but will sell them after the S series comes out and keeping those. so as of now i have 2G (there's no 2GS.. LOL), 3GS, 4S

bought 4
sold the 4 to get the 4s

bought 5
will sell the 5 to get the 5s

this way, you'll get all gen of the iphone in its best reiteration :D

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I cannot foresee what they could possibly do with the 5S, way too soon to be thinking about that. CPU / GPU grunt has even started to get used on the 5 yet so I think we're some way off.

Good point I never thought about that!

The developers haven't even tapped into the processing power of the 5 yet. Everything that works on the 5 also works on the 4S which means that we haven't even seen the full potential of future apps/games.

The 5S will most likely just be a little processor or/and ram update. Since the 4S can do everything that the 5 can do in iOS6 I am sure the 5 will be able to do everything the 5S will be able to accomplish.

It seems like phone companies are adding stats just so people can brag. But stats on paper mean nothing.

Good example is comparing the SIII to the iPhone 5. On paper the SIII has much better stats but in reality the 5 is much smoother/quicker.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I am one of those that had to get the latest phone. What I like about apple is their iPhone’s do, test the sands of time! With the iPhone 4 they came out with an awesome design and I was all over it. When the 4s came out I was disappointed there wasn't a new design, but I understood why after some time. I have the iPhone 5 now and I’m going to wait for the iPhone 6 designs. I like that the phones only get spec jumps. It makes me feel good about what I have and not want to get the latest one. It’s like apple took the competition out of their products, if that makes sense! I also use Android and they are fabulous phones, but I’m not happy with the fact they change every 6 to 8 months just for minor specs and design changes. But as a consumer, it’s up to us to be responsible and to be satisfied with our decisions!

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Its that old age question, how long are you willing to wait for something that satisfies your needs?

Does the 4 do everything you need? Will the 5? Why not wait for the 6? If you constantly wait, will you ever get one?

I tried an iphone 3g quite a few years ago, just before the 3gs came out, and felt it wasnt right for me then, and stuck with my blackberry. Markets have changed and what I need from a phone has, so this time on contract renewal I got a 5 and love it.

Will I be sad when a 5s comes out... probably slightly, and will probably think should I have waited xxx months? If you wait, will you ever be happy?

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Good point I never thought about that!

The developers haven't even tapped into the processing power of the 5 yet. Everything that works on the 5 also works on the 4S which means that we haven't even seen the full potential of future apps/games.

The 5S will most likely just be a little processor or/and ram update. Since the 4S can do everything that the 5 can do in iOS6 I am sure the 5 will be able to do everything the 5S will be able to accomplish.

It seems like phone companies are adding stats just so people can brag. But stats on paper mean nothing.

Good example is comparing the SIII to the iPhone 5. On paper the SIII has much better stats but in reality the 5 is much smoother/quicker.

The S3 is heavily bogged down by all of Samsung's bloatware. It was quite frustrating to be honest.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
The S3 is heavily bogged down by all of Samsung's bloatware. It was quite frustrating to be honest.

I agree, i have an SIII as well but since i got my iPhone, the SIII has been thrown in a drawer. To get the SIII to run properly without lag i had to root and install CM10 on it to get rid of all Samsung/t-mobile bloatware on it.

Its ridiculous that i would have to do all that just to get a phone to run like it should out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.