Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a saxophone?

I used to play (alto) in middle school then had to move and never picked it up since. However, I think it would be cool to start again.

As far as make, I would like to get a decent quality sax. I remember my old one was a yamaha.

Any recommendations out there?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a saxophone?

I used to play (alto) in middle school then had to move and never picked it up since. However, I think it would be cool to start again.

As far as make, I would like to get a decent quality sax. I remember my old one was a yamaha.

Any recommendations out there?

Go to your local music instrument store, they usually give great advice. And settle down for a used one, I paid mine $600 used. A brand new one would have cost me $2000. I play the tenor, the alto is a bit cheaper.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Are you getting something simply to practice with, or to perform with as well?

(Either way, buy used with warranty)

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
If you want to go digital, there are all kinds of electronic wind instruments on the market now that didn't exist back then. IE the Akai EWI

Obviously not the same as hitting levers and blowing on a reed, but kind of a cool alternative to acoustic

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I agree with buying used. If you're not sure you'll keep it, and you want to wet your feet in the water... just rent it.

You sure first see what your options are ... for example, I think one of the stores around here only sell Vitos. It would be easier to help you if you have some parameters.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Are you getting something simply to practice with, or to perform with as well?

(Either way, buy used with warranty)

practice. No desire to perform really

----------

I agree with buying used. If you're not sure you'll keep it, and you want to wet your feet in the water... just rent it.

You sure first see what your options are ... for example, I think one of the stores around here only sell Vitos. It would be easier to help you if you have some parameters.

I wouldn't know the parameters to even state really aside from these

Cost: sub 1000
New or used
Quality brand

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
practice. No desire to perform really

----------

I wouldn't know the parameters to even state really aside from these

Cost: sub 1000
New or used
Quality brand

Have you seen the Selmer AS500? I have one and it's nice... I recommend you try renting one for a month from a local shop before deciding which one to buy.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I can't be the only one to click on the thread because I read the title as "Sex". :D

Not everyone has a dirty mind! :rolleyes:

Kidding! :D

So what happens when you look in the mirror ravenvii? Referring to your avatar. :p

(sorry for going of topic)

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Whatever you decided to do, try the instrument out first.

I play euphonium. Bought a horn (Yamaha YEP-201) off eBay a number of years ago. Kind of wish I had a chance to play it first, as I probably wouldn't have bought it. I have played two horns of the exact same model where one was a dream and the other a complete lemon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.