Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
So when is this thing going to be released? THe one with the new iMac design.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
It's pretty offensive that Apple continues to sell a Thunderbolt display without USB3. There should at least have been a silent refresh for the faster USB. The way Apple takes advantage of "normal" buyers like this makes my blood boil. Then there's poor old me, left to dock my MBP to a disgusting black Asus monitor that's so light it physically wobbles back and forth when I bounce my leg under my desk. Plus it sticks out like a sore thumb with all of my sexy, silver peripherals. Ugh.

These are the times that I hate Apple. It would take no effort at all to refresh ATD's with USB3, yet they continue to hold out for a new "launch" of a product that probably won't even be available until Q2 2013 at the earliest. GOD DAMN YOU APPLE.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
It's pretty offensive that Apple continues to sell a Thunderbolt display without USB3. There should at least have been a silent refresh for the faster USB. The way Apple takes advantage of "normal" buyers like this makes my blood boil. Then there's poor old me, left to dock my MBP to a disgusting black Asus monitor that's so light it physically wobbles back and forth when I bounce my leg under my desk. Plus it sticks out like a sore thumb with all of my sexy, silver peripherals. Ugh.

These are the times that I hate Apple. It would take no effort at all to refresh ATD's with USB3, yet they continue to hold out for a new "launch" of a product that probably won't even be available until Q2 2013 at the earliest. GOD DAMN YOU APPLE.

That's just not how business works. Trying to silently add USB 3 wouldn't work. The tech sites would report that "some" TBD models have USB 3 and that would cause a rash of returns or reticence by consumers to purchase the display.

If someone wants a TBD but wants USB 3 they are best off to wait for the refreshed model where they will likely get USB 3 and the new laminated display and probably something else pretty cool. That delivers better marketing impact and eases consumer fear.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
If someone wants a TBD but wants USB 3 they are best off to wait for the refreshed model where they will likely get USB 3 and the new laminated display and probably something else pretty cool. That delivers better marketing impact and eases consumer fear.

2+2=4; thank you Captain Obvious.

The problem is that the updated model probably won't be available until Q2 2013 some time, since apparently nobody can fill Tim Cook's old job as COO and the supply chain is all jacked up. So for about a year, Apple will be selling USB2 Thunderbolt Displays to unknowing new MacBook consumers (who have USB3 -- and have had it since summer), who probably just assume that the $1,000 Apple monitor is the latest and greatest. Because it should be.

In this case, they should have done a silent refresh. That is how business works. Apple does it all the time with Macs.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Nay. That doesn't make sense for many obvious reasons.

I guess the 4th generation iPad doesn't make sense either then. Or the the countless "silent" MacBook refreshes we've had over the years. Or hell, even the Mac Pro update this past year. It's all crazy!

TheSpeaker

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I guess the 4th generation iPad doesn't make sense either then. Or the the countless "silent" MacBook refreshes we've had over the years. Or hell, even the Mac Pro update this past year. It's all crazy!

Boo freakin hoo. Apple can barely crank out the new 27" iMacs en masse. You want them to take those panels and put them into a $1k display too, thus delaying delivery of their iMac line? Not gonna happen. Besides, you want USB 3.0 ports? There's a card/hub for that depending on which Mac you have.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
It's pretty offensive that Apple continues to sell a Thunderbolt display without USB3.

What's the big deal about TBD USB ports remaining V2 a while longer? USB3 performance isn't really needed by vast majority of peripherals. External Storage is really the only peripheral that can benefit from USB3 speeds.

If your Mac has a couple of on-board USB3 ports - that should hold most people over for now. There are very few people who need 6-8 USB3 ports.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I am getting ATDs for Christmas for the wife and I. The FW port will conned to her Seagate drive for backup; my backup goes to Time Capsule. The USB 2 ports are for keyboard, wacom, and iPhone/ipad sync. The serious storage is via thunderbolt to LaCie drives. So for us, no mission critical devices that have to be on USB 3.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
You want them to take those panels and put them into a $1k display too, thus delaying delivery of their iMac line? Not gonna happen. Besides, you want USB 3.0 ports? There's a card/hub for that depending on which Mac you have.

No, I just want them to update the current displays with USB3. I couldn't care less about the new laminating technique. My office is fully light controlled, I'm not concerned with glare.

What's the big deal about TBD USB ports remaining V2 a while longer? USB3 performance isn't really needed by vast majority of peripherals. External Storage is really the only peripheral that can benefit from USB3 speeds.

If your Mac has a couple of on-board USB3 ports - that should hold most people over for now. There are very few people who need 6-8 USB3 ports.

The entire point of the Thunderbolt display is so that there's only one cable going from your computer to the display (besides power). The beauty of it is that I can come home from school and jack my notebook in with zero effort. If I wanted to mess with a bunch of cables every time I wouldn't even bother with a TB display. I'm already doing that with my Asus monitor.

The problem here is that the monitor is $1,000. It's not something people are going to upgrade every other year. If the new Macs have USB3 then the TB display should as well. Bottom line. There is no excuse for it not to.

Ironclaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Q1 with MacPro

It will most definitely be Q1 with the MacPro. I'm hoping for launch in Jan but it could be later...

... or it could be sooner...

new_display.jpg

canuckle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2011

You need a hug, obv.

joachimnb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
I just chose to order a TBD today. I do not need USB 3 connections or speed - I can live with the MagSafe converter. What I do not want to risk is increase in price and waiting time. The current one satisfies my needs, even though I think Apple should have offered another option for those with never MacBooks - an option with built in MacSafe 2. But well, it is also nice that it is backwards compatible with older macs.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Since we're now some six months into USB3-enabled Macs, it seems clear that Apple will not be using the current chassis for the next Apple Thunderbolt Display as they could have updated it with not just USB3, but also MagSafe 2.

We can assume that the next Apple Thunderbolt Display will look very similar to the upcoming 27" iMac, just as the current one looks very similar to the previous iMac.

We do know that Apple is having yield problems with the 27" LCD process. I am going to hazard a guess they've been really bad because Apple didn't announce the new ATD with the new iMac and that seems the most logical time to do so.

Therefore, I am guessing yields are so poor that Apple is dedicating every panel they can make to iMac production and are holding back the new ATD until yields are sufficient that they can meet iMac demand and provide panels for the ATD.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
like someone else said, I think that it will become available with the new mac pro and it won't be until sometime in q2 or q3.

I really hope that they make it so it lines up with the 27in iMac

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
We can assume that the next Apple Thunderbolt Display will look very similar to the upcoming 27" iMac, just as the current one looks very similar to the previous iMac.

I'm sure hoping that's the case. What I'm really hoping for is the reduction in glare! If they do that, I'll likely end up buying two!

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
It would take no effort at all to refresh ATD's with USB3,

Since it's no effort at all, is it safe to assume that YOU will be offering a thunderbolt display with USB 3.0 ports? Considering you might be busy with Christmas shopping or something, feel free to take a few days getting them ready to ship.

Please post the URL where we can order your display by next Monday.

:)

I don't think "no effort at all" means what you think it means.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I don't think "no effort at all" means what you think it means.

I don't think swapping new USB controllers into a mature, easy-to-manufacture product means what you think it means either. I suppose I should have added "for Apple" to my statement, but I assumed MacRumors readers would be intelligent enough to infer that. My mistake!

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
The problem here is that the monitor is $1,000. It's not something people are going to upgrade every other year. If the new Macs have USB3 then the TB display should as well. Bottom line. There is no excuse for it not to.

Right, so please forgive Apple if it takes them a few months to push USB3 across their entire product line. Thunderbolt Display itself didn't even exist little over a year ago, for chrissakes.

Or is there someone with a gun to your head forcing you spend $1,000 on TB display with USB2 ports here and now? I didn't think so.

You have an overinflated sense of entitlement of what you think Apple owes you. Watch this video - reminds me of people like you.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR

There are way better monitors out there than the Thunderbolt display, you're waiting for nothing.... and for your current one, you could always get a sturdy VESA monitor stand. Just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.