Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Does anyone ever feel that Apple is confused about themselves these days? I don't mean in a "right now" sense, but rather in "does Apple know what it'll look like in 5 years?" sense. Does their approach of bolting on different parts to their semi-aging foundation seem sort of stale?

Looking at iTunes these days the program is fairly recognizable to when it was originally released, but now it has all these other duties it performs. Syncing, and shopping, and navigating music/movie/book libraries. Originally iTunes was just an mp3 player, now it's like a browser for buying media as well as hosting your music and videos, and books, and whatever else it does.

Are iOS and Mac OS X converging together? Will they eventually just look like iOS that also has a desktop version? It could, it already is basically happening.

I almost feel like these "i" programs and devices are causing Apple to continue down a semi-dated path of sticking with what they've always stuck with. Why not get rid of the "i" items and start down a fresh path. Why not have the Finder deal with syncing your "i" devices, heck, why not have the Finder sync with the next generation devices (that don't start with an "i")?

If these two OS's are slowly merging then why not just cut to the chase and create just one Mac OS (instead of iOS 7, 8, 9 and Mac OS 10.9, 10.10, XI). Build a new Mac OS that, resembles OS X, but also resembles iOS (depending on the platform). Get rid of "iPad" and "iPhone" and name them something new (people didn't like "Macbook" when it was first announced but they got over it). Have these new devices run an OS that does practical multi-tasking stuff such as: view a youtube video while texting/emailing, or browsing while still watching your movie (these sorts of things already exist).

Maybe it's time to get rid of the "i" moniker and start to "Think Different" again. It almost seems that in another few years we could have Apple from the early mid-90's again, just going with what they've always done and afraid to deviate from that. Let's skip redoing the 90's again and get to the Think Different days again. Reinvent Apple.

Call me crazy.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
So we did that we'd have:

-Mac
-Phone
-Pod/Pod Touch/Shuffle/Nano
-Pad (hmmm)
-Cloud
-Life/Tunes/Movie/Photo
-OS

I think that's all.

The "i" is such a huge part of Apple's brand right now. It would require a huge re branding and naming with the products above. Personally I don't see it being dropped anytime soon.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

-Mac
-Phone
-Pad (hmmm)
-Cloud
-Life/Tunes/Movie/Photo
-OS

I think that's all.

The "i" is such a huge part of Apple's brand right now. It would require a huge re branding and naming with the products above. Personally I don't see it being dropped anytime soon.

Oh, it would be a total reinvention of the whole company. Obviously this would not happen overnight. I'd give it 5 years to totally occur.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
This is an interesting topic. Many have said that Apple would sputter without Jobs' vision and creative genius and I think to some degree this is happening. With the wild success of iOS devices, there is a flood of cash that motivates management to put even more emphasis on development of these lines, to the detriment of productivity machines that brought the company thus far. The guy I'm counting on to reverse this trend is Ive -- has creative vision, which Jobs himself admired, and answers only to Cook.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago

-Mac
-Phone
-Pad (hmmm)
-Cloud
-Life/Tunes/Movie/Photo
-OS

I think that's all.

They could always reuse the names of the Newton line :D.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
But the iName scheme is what people know them for. They can throw i in front of any product and own it. You say iFridge and people will ask you if Apple is make kitchen appliances. That's a luxury not many brands have going for them, Apple would have to be absolutely retarded to get rid of that. Also, iTunes has become the de facto term for music player software. Even if they renamed it, people would still likely refer to is as iTunes. Really, what is the point of going through all that hassle to make your brand less well know?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If they ever did, they could just replace the i with the Apple symbol. Apple TV, Apple Phone, Apple Mac...

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
"i" stands for internet. That's only getting more relevant as time goes on. Plus it's a solid brand on its own, Apple would be utterly stupid to let it go.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
"i" stands for internet. That's only getting more relevant as time goes on. Plus it's a solid brand on its own, Apple would be utterly stupid to let it go.

iAgree, iTisAGoodBrand. iDontSee iTDisappearing iNTheNearFuture, iMHO.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

Yes, you and I know that. But I'd be surprised if more than 50% out there know this.

But when Apple holds a keynote the world pays attention. I have a hard time believing if they moved away from "i" products that people would get confused. Just look at the 'Lightning' connector or 'Thunderbolt' or any big cat name for OS X. These names all are learned by the public immediately after they're released (whether for good or for bad).

I just am getting this idea that big changes will not be made to iOS's springboard UI, or to the iPhone/iPad because Apple feels it cannot make big changes to these products, they're locked in. Ok, well if you feel trapped by these products then change the name. Boom, now you can "act" like it's a different product when it really isn't.

I'd like to see iTunes move away from being the media hub application and have the interaction between Apple computers and gadgets become more seamless. I want them to interact naturally without the thought of "Do I have the right version of iTunes?" or "I had to force quit iPhoto because my iPhone wouldn't eject right".

Move forward with these products before they really start to show their age. Changing the names of iLife apps wouldn't be that big of a deal would it?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Looking at iTunes these days the program is fairly recognizable to when it was originally released, but now it has all these other duties it performs. Syncing, and shopping, and navigating music/movie/book libraries. Originally iTunes was just an mp3 player, now it's like a browser for buying media as well as hosting your music and videos, and books, and whatever else it does.

Not trying to sound like a total applefan with complete disregard, but i don't see the problem here.

Are you suggesting it should be called SyncingShoppingNavigatingMusic/Movie/BookLibraries/WhateverElseItDoesTunes? Just because it's more advanced than in 2001, people still know what it is.

Another example to look at is the Cheese Cake Factory. Should they rename because they sell more than Cheese Cakes? Heck, no. They kept it because it's their unique identification. No difference here, either. IMO.

I know it's just your opinion, but maybe if you provide some more examples of how it's confusing and outdated, I'll agree with you.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple has a long history of creating "cutesy" names. It must be done to appeal to the young easily impressed, and other easily amused types. While it strikes some of us adults as immature, it's Apples style. I just ignore it.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Yes, you and I know that. But I'd be surprised if more than 50% out there know this.

But when Apple holds a keynote the world pays attention. I have a hard time believing if they moved away from "i" products that people would get confused. Just look at the 'Lightning' connector or 'Thunderbolt' or any big cat name for OS X. These names all are learned by the public immediately after they're released (whether for good or for bad).

I just am getting this idea that big changes will not be made to iOS's springboard UI, or to the iPhone/iPad because Apple feels it cannot make big changes to these products, they're locked in. Ok, well if you feel trapped by these products then change the name. Boom, now you can "act" like it's a different product when it really isn't.

I'd like to see iTunes move away from being the media hub application and have the interaction between Apple computers and gadgets become more seamless. I want them to interact naturally without the thought of "Do I have the right version of iTunes?" or "I had to force quit iPhoto because my iPhone wouldn't eject right".

Move forward with these products before they really start to show their age. Changing the names of iLife apps wouldn't be that big of a deal would it?

No one in the general public knows the name of Apple's ports, trust me. Thunderbolt and Lightening mean nothing to most people as far as technology goes.

Anything with an i in front of it, however, is instantly familiar and recognisable as a premium quality product. It's so strong many other companies have used it to make their products sound more cutting edge. Granted, that phase has died down now, but while the novelty surrounding it has gone the strength has stayed. It's so simple it doesn't even matter if no one knows what it means, it's in peoples' heads and it has associations with good technology.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is an interesting topic. Many have said that Apple would sputter without Jobs' vision and creative genius and I think to some degree this is happening. With the wild success of iOS devices, there is a flood of cash that motivates management to put even more emphasis on development of these lines, to the detriment of productivity machines that brought the company thus far. The guy I'm counting on to reverse this trend is Ive -- has creative vision, which Jobs himself admired, and answers only to Cook.

So basically you want to know where you're MacPro is. :D

----------

No one in the general public knows the name of Apple's ports, trust me. Thunderbolt and Lightening mean nothing to most people as far as technology goes.

Anything with an i in front of it, however, is instantly familiar and recognisable as a premium quality product. It's so strong many other companies have used it to make their products sound more cutting edge. Granted, that phase has died down now, but while the novelty surrounding it has gone the strength has stayed. It's so simple it doesn't even matter if no one knows what it means, it's in peoples' heads and it has associations with good technology.
iPhone, iPod and iPad are almost like Kleenex, Q-tips and Band Aids. Apple would be nuts to get rid of them.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I've often wondered this myself - at least for me, the "i" naming scheme grew tired a few years back. Apple can't just keep putting an "i" in front of things and expect to be relevant forever. (or maybe they can - their marketing spin power is remarkable to say the least)

In any case, it does feel quite overused and old. I would hope Apple would want to be at forefront of... whatever it is they actually do, like they used to be, instead of resting on their currant laurels and being content at that. Maybe someday, others will feel the same as I, and Apple will be forced to take a shot in the dark once again.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I am suddenly reminded of the G days when there was a clear distinction with the i and the Power lines, the former for consumers and the latter for those who need the extra power.

iMac, iBook vs PowerBook and PowerMac.

But now I feel that computers overall have advanced far enough that such distinctions won't be needed anymore.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
So basically you want to know where you're MacPro is. :D

----------

I've got a Mac Pro that works very well. Besides adding USB3 and Thunderbolt and updating the video card, I can't imagine where they're going to go from here. I just hope Apple doesn't do anything to further iOS-ify the workhorse of their portfolio but rather reverses this trend.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I've often wondered this myself - at least for me, the "i" naming scheme grew tired a few years back. Apple can't just keep putting an "i" in front of things and expect to be relevant forever. (or maybe they can - their marketing spin power is remarkable to say the least)

In any case, it does feel quite overused and old. I would hope Apple would want to be at forefront of... whatever it is they actually do, like they used to be, instead of resting on their currant laurels and being content at that. Maybe someday, others will feel the same as I, and Apple will be forced to take a shot in the dark once again.

This is particularly my point. Change now before everyone starts to feel this way. Move before people think you should move.

On the other hand, the argument that the "i" is a huge branding for Apple makes sense. But I feel that sense of comfort can be strangling in the future. Being complacent, and milking the current brand you have can turn sour eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.