Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As he said, there is an option on the phone to invert the colors. If it isn't already assigned to the triple click button you can turn it on in the accessibility settings.
At least there's that option as a workaround of sorts (hopefully just for the time being).

negro napoleon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
They'd have to include a toggle on an option screen or so because I don't trust the ambient sensor to be that aware to not the distinction itself.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
They'd have to include a toggle on an option screen or so because I don't trust the ambient sensor to be that aware to not the distinction itself.

They can make it time based. Have the iPhone find out when sun down is using the internet and then automatically switch to night mode at that time.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I think it will be a nice addition as well.

The forumer thinking of inverting the colors is also quite cool, never occurred to me, but I guess it makes sense. Well done! :D

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
I'd go so far as it being an essential feature for a navigation app. A bright device is only going to distract you, even on low brightness. With a black background and roads in say, grey, and the brightness down, the viewing isn't distracting.

I'd also like to see a "custom colour" option - here in the UK, Motorways appear on most maps as Blue, Major A roads are Green (also signified on roadsigns). It would be nice to see this replicated on Apple's maps. It would make the map appear a lot more useful.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Good catch OP. How could Apple overlook that?

IMO They were rushing to get Maps out and didn't work smart. I've designed nav interfaces and graphics and it does take extra effort, even though it seems simple. However, once you get the product out, it's time to add features like this. If you don't work smart and you wait until the code and graphics are buried, it becomes a major effort just to dredge up what needs to be changed.

Note Gmaps for iOS still doesn't have night mode either.

I use accessibility options to invert the screen (see settings, accessibility - options for triple tap) and that works in a pinch, otherwise I try not to look at the screen.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
With any decent nav program I've used, either factory OEM on cars, or purchased in the app store, ALL of them have a Night Mode (dark graphics) to make it easier on your eyes when using navigation at night. I was using Maps to navigate last night and it never went into night mode. Let's add this to the fix list for Apple.

iOS_nightmode.jpg

How does this (see graphic) work for you? Note, the picture on the right is is not possible on iOS, but if I can do it in photoshop with 2 layers in a few minutes, they can do this too, by code, whenever the user has the screen inverted. IMO, this should be the common color rendering behavior when using accessibility options to invert colors--people don't really want colors to change, but they do want light/dark to invert.

Unless you really like pink road signs.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
With any decent nav program I've used, either factory OEM on cars, or purchased in the app store, ALL of them have a Night Mode (dark graphics) to make it easier on your eyes when using navigation at night. I was using Maps to navigate last night and it never went into night mode. Let's add this to the fix list for Apple.

why not just tripple click the home button?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.