Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:23 PM   #1
sammich
macrumors 601

Canon Lens Advice - Prime to complement 28-200

Hi all photogs of MR.

I'm looking to buy a lens as a gift for a relative's 5D mk3 (disclaimer: it will be theirs but I will get to use it on occasion as well). I'm not much of a photographer, I understand how to shoot, I just don't do it often enough to be practiced.

That said, I don't know how to pick a lens. So the current 'workhorse' is a Canon 28-200 3.5-something zoom lens, and it seems to serve the purpose. But I'm not sure it's well suited to portrait photography.

So I guess I've been looking at some primes. My current shortlist is the (new?) 35mm f/2 IS USM and the 50mm f/1.4. I couldn't get a local price (Australia) for the 35. But the 50mm is well within my budget.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Sam.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography