Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
appl3kill
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Slate or Silver iPad mini

I seriously need help! I been contemplating on buying the ipad mini because i can't choose which color to get. Can anyone detail the negatives and positives on each one. I have an iphone 5 slate and it sure is asthetically appealing. White equally as well i just cant decide.... help! influence me !
__________________
13" Macbook Retina 2012, 15" Macbook Retina 2012, HP Envy 14 2010, iPhone 5 32gb,
appl3kill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
shenan1982
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl3kill View Post
I seriously need help! I been contemplating on buying the ipad mini because i can't choose which color to get. Can anyone detail the negatives and positives on each one. I have an iphone 5 slate and it sure is asthetically appealing. White equally as well i just cant decide.... help! influence me !
Influence you? Why would you want someone else to make a decision for you? The whole idea that you would ask for someone to tell you to chose white or black is sad.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:45 PM   #3
maverick22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I do not own either. From what I've read, I can give you a little info though.

Black-good for viewing videos--some say less distracting than the white bezel; fingerprint magnet, looks similar to all the other black tablets out there

White-won't show as many fingerprints, white bezel can be a little distracting to some apparently, esp. when watching videos, some have said the white back looks a little cheaper, distinguished "Apple" look to it
maverick22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:48 PM   #4
appl3kill
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
Influence you? Why would you want someone else to make a decision for you? The whole idea that you would ask for someone to tell you to chose white or black is sad.
Just go with it.. Why waste your time replying to a thread just to shun me

Its just a device and color.. Yes thats very contradicting but I like others opinions and people say "get white its elegant" or some bs like that. Which usually ends up influencing my decision.
__________________
13" Macbook Retina 2012, 15" Macbook Retina 2012, HP Envy 14 2010, iPhone 5 32gb,
appl3kill is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
shenan1982
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl3kill View Post
Just go with it.. Why waste your time replying to a thread just to shun me

Its just a device and color.. Yes thats very contradicting but I like others opinions and people say "get white its elegant" or some bs like that. Which usually ends up influencing my decision.
Well if it's that important to follow what others think, go for neither, because more people don't have any ipad vs a black or white one.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:09 PM   #6
EMAN19
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
I had the black and currently own the white iPad mini.

White is better all around -- doesn't show fingerprints and dust as much as the black. White doesn't distract when watching movies... I think it's a misconception. However, black is really nice and has an edge over the white in terms of coolness and looks factor. Both are great colored but I noticed silver lines and bits on the chamfered bezel on the black iPad mini -- this was a huge draw back for me. So I took it back and got white, and I love it!!!! I love my iPad mini and can't imagine being w/o an iPad!!!!
__________________

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver

Last edited by EMAN19; Dec 5, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
EMAN19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:13 PM   #7
sparks9
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen
I got the white and it's exelent. 10/10.
__________________
sparks9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:24 PM   #8
appl3kill
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
Well if it's that important to follow what others think, go for neither, because more people don't have any ipad vs a black or white one.
The whole reason im here because I want to get one I just can't choose the color.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks9 View Post
I got the white and it's exelent. 10/10.
thanks for the info I'll get white sarcasm i regret asking

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAN19 View Post
I had the black and currently own the white iPad mini.

White is better all around -- doesn't show fingerprints and dust as much as the black. White doesn't distract when watching movies... I think it's a misconception. However, black is really nice and has an edge over the white in terms of coolness and looks factor. Both are great colored but I noticed silver lines and bits on the chamfered bezel on the black iPad mini -- this was a huge draw back for me. So I took it back and got white, and I love it!!!! I love my iPad mini and can't imagine being w/o an iPad!!!!
yeah because of that im leaning more towards white. I notice this in my black iphone 5
__________________
13" Macbook Retina 2012, 15" Macbook Retina 2012, HP Envy 14 2010, iPhone 5 32gb,
appl3kill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:28 PM   #9
bcaslis
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Black / Slate.

Stormtroopers dress in white, but Darth Vader wears black. Case closed.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 3.0GHz i7 16GB/1TB , iPad Air 2 LTE 128GB, iPhone 6 128GB, Mac mini server, iMac 24"
bcaslis is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:35 PM   #10
dbdynsty25
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Send a message via AIM to dbdynsty25
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAN19 View Post
I had the black and currently own the white iPad mini.

White is better all around -- doesn't show fingerprints and dust as much as the black. White doesn't distract when watching movies... I think it's a misconception. However, black is really nice and has an edge over the white in terms of coolness and looks factor. Both are great colored but I noticed silver lines and bits on the chamfered bezel on the black iPad mini -- this was a huge draw back for me. So I took it back and got white, and I love it!!!! I love my iPad mini and can't imagine being w/o an iPad!!!!
I own both as well, but I'm actually in agreement and disagreement at the same time. Yes, the physical part of the white mini is probably nicer. Let prone to scratches (at least visible ones) and fingerprints. However, I disagree about the distraction part. It's weird watching a movie on it with the contrasting color and it's also REALLY distracting reading a book or on white websites (like this one). The boarder is more yellowish and it just looks ugly next to each other. For that reason alone, I went black and gave the wife my white one (that sounded bad).
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro (2014) - 64gb iPad Air 2 w/ AT&T
dbdynsty25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:47 PM   #11
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
I like black Apple products more personally because they give give off that shiny, sleek, glossy, glass-like look to them. White Apple products, in my experience, although neat, seem to give off more of a plastic type of feel.

My white iPhone 3G also shows a lot of dirt, and mini cracks in it, where as the black Apple products that I own usually only show finger prints (which are easily removable). Although, black apple products usually show scratches a lot easier.


It's up to you - I recommend black/slate, though.
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 8.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:39 AM   #12
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Black/Slate is my choice. It's less distracting to me.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:32 AM   #13
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
"seriously need help"??????

Can't pick between white or black so you seriously need help.

First world problem here again. Pick the color which suited better with your hair color.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:48 AM   #14
caz12345
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Scotland
I like the white
caz12345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:43 AM   #15
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
If your a girl white

Male /slate
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:50 AM   #16
THFourteen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
If your a girl white

Male /slate
i guess that makes me the ugliest girl you've ever seen :-D
THFourteen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:28 AM   #17
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Black Black Black!!! like the night that envelopes us all!

Then coat it with a beautiful carbon weave of the finest quality.

Tell me this doesn't look sexy I dare ya!

White pah!

wrkactjob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:46 AM   #18
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
I prefer the white over the black.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
If your a girl white

Male /slate
Real men don't use the term slate for something that is black.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:44 AM   #19
caligurl
macrumors 65816
 
caligurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: socal
i bought black/slate.....
caligurl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:46 AM   #20
slch
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I saw both in person and preferred the white, basically because of the silver back and corners.

The perfect combo IMHO would be black bezel + silver back.
slch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68030
 
Appl3FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
4S- white
5- white
mini- white
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:06 AM   #22
bajaracing
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Go to the apple store, spend some time with each in your hand. Do this as many times as needed till your happy with your decision. I went with black and have no scratches nor issues at all.

Good luck!
bajaracing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:15 AM   #23
Ellethor
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
Black / Slate.

Stormtroopers dress in white, but Darth Vader wears black. Case closed.
Excellent!!! I just bought a Black one and Im waiting for delivering..
Ellethor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:10 AM   #24
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
I prefer the slate.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:29 AM   #25
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I prefer the slate.
Yeah, but do you prefer the black or white Mini?
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Black vs White (Black & Slate vs White & Silver) Iceboie iPad 62 Jun 26, 2013 10:05 PM
iPad Mini: Worlds First iPad Mini Black & Slate + iPad Mini SmartCover Unboxing! RiseDarthVader iPad 52 Nov 2, 2012 08:35 AM
Mini White/Silver or Slate Black knemonic iPad 28 Oct 29, 2012 10:59 AM
Silver or Slate Bumpers? WindWaker iPhone Accessories 0 Sep 17, 2012 07:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC