Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I'm looking for a desk and am wondering how many inches is it from the bottom of the iMac's stand to the bottom of the actual screen?

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I'm looking for a desk and am wondering how many inches is it from the bottom of the iMac's stand to the bottom of the actual screen?

The 21.5" imac is 17.7 inches high
The 27" iMac is 20.3 inches high.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
The 21.5" imac is 17.7 inches high
The 27" iMac is 20.3 inches high.

I'm talking about how high is it from where the stand sits to where the bottom of the actual screen is? About 6 inches or so?

Gascogne

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Sweden
The 21.5" imac have 7.5cm (3 inches) from table to lower edge of the imac.
Was in the store today so I measured. :D

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
The 21.5" imac have 7.5cm (3 inches) from table to lower edge of the imac.
Was in the store today so I measured. :D

Nice work mate!! :)

So if that's to the edge of the display there's about another 4inches or so until the actual screen. I was thinking of removing a shelf on my desk but didn't want the iMac to sit too low. I think ill remove it and it'll be fine.

Thanks guys

Tucson Allen

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Without actual bezel and chin dimensions: about six inches

Starting from the top, 17.7“ from the desktop (Apple):
Screen is* 10.54“, leaving 7.16“ - 3 inches (measured by Gascogne) + leaves 4.16.” *(from 19X6 aspect ratio figures at http://www.silisoftware.com/tools/screen.php)

After looking at several images I think the bezel must be at least 1“, the size of my early 2006 iMac‘s, maybe even wider. This doesn’t work at well with the 4.16 inch remainder shown above. The chin on my old computer is about 4.25“. My impression of the 2012 chin is that it’s narrower, possibly narrower still than the 2011. Taking it at about 2.5,“ pure guesswork, that would make the bezel about .83 inches. No!

Too many imponderables, especially if my impressions of the new bezel point to an inch or more are accurate. But bear in mind the images were processed. I would be surprised if the chin was much less than 3“. So pending other users‘ actual measurements of the bezel and chin, I would go with bobright: the screen is about 6 inches from the desk top.

Gascogne

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Sweden
Nice work mate!! :)

So if that's to the edge of the display there's about another 4inches or so until the actual screen. I was thinking of removing a shelf on my desk but didn't want the iMac to sit too low. I think ill remove it and it'll be fine.

Thanks guys

Was in town again so I took some more measurments, the store staff must think I'm odd.. :p

7.5cm (3 inches) to lower edge of the imac from table surface
13.5cm (5.3 inches) to the lower edge of the black frame from table surface
16cm (6.3 inches) to the lower edge of the actual screen surface from table surface

Aluminum border is 6cm (2.4 inches)
Black frame is 2.5cm (1 inch)

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Was in town again so I took some more measurments, the store staff must think I'm odd.. :p

7.5cm (3 inches) to lower edge of the imac from table surface
13.5cm (5.3 inches) to the lower edge of the black frame from table surface
16cm (6.3 inches) to the lower edge of the actual screen surface from table surface

Aluminum border is 6cm (2.4 inches)
Black frame is 2.5cm (1 inch)

Hmmm curious was this the 21" or 27", maybe they are the same. Nevertheless right on have already removed this shelf I planned to have the iMac sit on, now itll just sit on the desk, at 6 inches to the bottom of the screen it's high enough.

Tucson Allen

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Tucson, AZ
The actual measurement

the top of the display is 16 9/16 inches as measured on my new 21.5" iMac from the desktop. The bezel looks thicker, but it is an inch. The chin is 2 1/4 inches.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.