Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Obscuraeon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Firefox Only Works When Safari is Open

Firefox and Google Chrome tend to load pages indefinitely or stop loading them altogether unless I turn Safari on, or to be more precise, open a new page in Safari each time this happens. This is very odd and hasn't started doing this until a couple months ago.

I have tried everything from completely wiping both browsers off completely via a clean install and checking corrupted font to restoring the system from scratch using the disk utility and reinstalling Flash/Java.

This happens no matter what OS I use. I am currently using Mountain Lion on a late 2009 Macbook Pro.
Obscuraeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
Firefox and Google Chrome tend to load pages indefinitely or stop loading them altogether unless I turn Safari on, or to be more precise, open a new page in Safari each time this happens. This is very odd and hasn't started doing this until a couple months ago.

I have tried everything from completely wiping both browsers off completely via a clean install and checking corrupted font to restoring the system from scratch using the disk utility and reinstalling Flash/Java.

This happens no matter what OS I use. I am currently using Mountain Lion on a late 2009 Macbook Pro.
I am not too familiar with it but I think they all use Webkit, might be a problem with Webkit Framework, it is in /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework
Might be OS related,
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Obscuraeon
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Is there a way I can fix the Webkit? Both browsers are acting buggy as hell and it's impeding with my homework, etc. Another digital ailment plagues me when viewing streaming sites like Justin.tv. My computer gives me a "your computer was restarted because of a problem" prompt after restarting.

I am relying on your smarts for a solution, people. I googled so hard that my fingers hurt. I tried finding the solution myself to no avail.
Obscuraeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
Is there a way I can fix the Webkit? Both browsers are acting buggy as hell and it's impeding with my homework, etc. Another digital ailment plagues me when viewing streaming sites like Justin.tv. My computer gives me a "your computer was restarted because of a problem" prompt after restarting.

I am relying on your smarts for a solution, people. I googled so hard that my fingers hurt. I tried finding the solution myself to no avail.
Sadly for those situations, a format is the only fix AFAIK
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Obscuraeon
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Sadly for those situations, a format is the only fix AFAIK
Format as in? Do you mean using Disk Utility to clean install the OS again? I have already done that countless times.
Obscuraeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:57 PM   #6
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
Format as in? Do you mean using Disk Utility to clean install the OS again? I have already done that countless times.
And the problem is not resolved?
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Obscuraeon
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
And the problem is not resolved?
No. The auto-restarts when viewing streaming video and unresponsive browsers stay the course.
Obscuraeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oregon
You can reinstall OSX over itself. This is not the "Erase & Install" option. Boot from the Recovery Drive for options.

Restart and hold down the Command and R keys.

http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433


http://www.macworld.com/article/1167..._recovery.html
__________________
Diane Ross
Office Mac Help
OfficeforMacHelp
Scripts for Mac
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Obscuraeon
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeoforegon View Post
You can reinstall OSX over itself. This is not the "Erase & Install" option. Boot from the Recovery Drive for options.

Restart and hold down the Command and R keys.

http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433


http://www.macworld.com/article/1167..._recovery.html
Tried it. Didn't work.

Well then, I am at a loss. If there were a way to avoid sending this ungodly aluminum mess to apple and be forced to spend hundreds of dollars to probably just have it sent back unfixed. I've been from forum to forum and no one seems to know what could be causing things like these. Does anyone know where to get a fix for that "Webkit" the guy at the top mentioned?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Obscuraeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:40 AM   #10
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 68040
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
I never heard of this issue strange indeed. I would wipe and pave clean install.
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:51 AM   #11
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
Tried it. Didn't work.

Well then, I am at a loss. If there were a way to avoid sending this ungodly aluminum mess to apple and be forced to spend hundreds of dollars to probably just have it sent back unfixed. I've been from forum to forum and no one seems to know what could be causing things like these. Does anyone know where to get a fix for that "Webkit" the guy at the top mentioned?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry I didn't come back to this thread but I recommend using the quote button, then I would be able to see you replied to Me.(I follow many threads)

As for your problem, if you reinstalled a few times and it did not solve the problem then I think there might be hardware problems, as strange as it may seem(what does HW have to do with this problem).

Maybe, just maybe you have RAM problems, try to test your RAM, you could also check your machine with Apple Hardware Test, hold down the option key when you start up, should be there.

The reason I think it is HW related is that you tried other OS's as well and it didn't solve the problem, that is not normal, it should solve the problem, at least on a different OS.(have you tried SL?)

Edit: Forget about WebKit, now that I read it more carefully.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
I never heard of this issue strange indeed. I would wipe and pave clean install.

No offence Michaelgtrusa but that's what he already tried many times, also different OS's.
But it is strange indeed to say the least.

Last edited by justperry; Dec 1, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:58 AM   #12
chrfr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
Does anyone know where to get a fix for that "Webkit" the guy at the top mentioned?
Firefox doesn't use Webkit so it's unlikely that there's a Webkit problem. (Webkit is the underlying technology behind Safari and Chrome- it's installed with the operating system and with Safari updates.)

First, make a new user account on your computer and see if the problem persists with that account- it's not clear if you are restoring your account from a backup after you reinstall, so if you are, you may be copying a bad preference file. Does Safari work correctly on its own?
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:02 AM   #13
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Firefox doesn't use Webkit so it's unlikely that there's a Webkit problem. (Webkit is the underlying technology behind Safari and Chrome- it's installed with the operating system and with Safari updates.)

First, make a new user account on your computer and see if the problem persists with that account- it's not clear if you are restoring your account from a backup after you reinstall, so if you are, you may be copying a bad preference file. Does Safari work correctly on its own?
No offence here too but the Op clearly said he already reinstalled the OS and even used different versions so making a new User Account won't make a difference.

I also said before: "Forget about Webkit", read the thread please.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Obscuraeon
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Sorry I didn't come back to this thread but I recommend using the quote button, then I would be able to see you replied to Me.(I follow many threads)

As for your problem, if you reinstalled a few times and it did not solve the problem then I think there might be hardware problems, as strange as it may seem(what does HW have to do with this problem).

Maybe, just maybe you have RAM problems, try to test your RAM, you could also check your machine with Apple Hardware Test, hold down the option key when you start up, should be there.

The reason I think it is HW related is that you tried other OS's as well and it didn't solve the problem, that is not normal, it should solve the problem, at least on a different OS.(have you tried SL?)

Edit: Forget about WebKit, now that I read it more carefully.





No offence Michaelgtrusa but that's what he already tried many times, also different OS's.
But it is strange indeed to say the least.
Yeah. I tried the hardware test and it reported that it was okay. I even run a repair/permission repair with Disk Utility, and again, reported as fine. It is very, very odd. I treat my Mac like a damned baby, making sure it is in a plastic case so it doesn't get bumped to hard and use programs like SMC Fan to control the heat, Cocktail to run critical system checks on sleep mode, and Shadowkiller to remove the shadows behind the windows so it runs smoother overall. Those programs shouldn't have ever caused any problems because I've been using them for the longest time without a problem. Plus on one of the system wipes, I used only default programs and the problem persisted.

On a side note, during one system wipe I may have picked "Mac OS Extended" instead of "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" to delete. Though, this may just be a product of my paranoia. I may have never done that. It's just a hunch.

I also on occasion have to force trash to delete certain stubborn files using a ~ sudo command in terminal. Again, I am very meticulous. I doubt I misspelled it and accidentally deleted a critical file. I just drag the files into the terminal window from the trash and the deed is done.

Something has to be awry. It's always I who gets the obscure errors. Why me? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Firefox doesn't use Webkit so it's unlikely that there's a Webkit problem. (Webkit is the underlying technology behind Safari and Chrome- it's installed with the operating system and with Safari updates.)

First, make a new user account on your computer and see if the problem persists with that account- it's not clear if you are restoring your account from a backup after you reinstall, so if you are, you may be copying a bad preference file. Does Safari work correctly on its own?
Oh yes, it works perfectly on its own (besides video crashing the system on occasion, resulting in a kernel panic). The reason I would like to use other browsers is due to their performance besides the crashes. Firefox and Google Chrome have the most addons. I really need adblock and noscript.
Obscuraeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:34 PM   #15
chrfr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
No offence here too but the Op clearly said he already reinstalled the OS and even used different versions so making a new User Account won't make a difference.
It will matter if you pay attention to what I said in the next sentence after the one of mine you chose to highlight.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
I may have picked "Mac OS Extended" instead of "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" to delete.
That shouldn't matter, but is it set to Journaled now?

Quote:
besides video crashing the system on occasion, resulting in a kernel panic).
Do you have any of these panic logs? Even though the hardware tests are checking out ok, you shouldn't be having panics playing video. As suggested earlier, if you have adequate RAM in the computer you might want to test by alternately taking out each RAM module and observing if anything works better.
Finally, have you used the computer on more than one network to see if it's not some strange network configuration issue, as unlikely as that sounds?
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Obscuraeon
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
It will matter if you pay attention to what I said in the next sentence after the one of mine you chose to highlight.

----------


That shouldn't matter, but is it set to Journaled now?


Do you have any of these panic logs? Even though the hardware tests are checking out ok, you shouldn't be having panics playing video. As suggested earlier, if you have adequate RAM in the computer you might want to test by alternately taking out each RAM module and observing if anything works better.
Finally, have you used the computer on more than one network to see if it's not some strange network configuration issue, as unlikely as that sounds?
Good points! Although, not one of my first assumptions, these are worth inspecting.

Hardware: As far as the hardware being a factor, I have the maximum amount of RAM available to Macbook Pros and it was all switched around by a technician a good while ago.

Network: As a matter of fact, these issues started popping up after some heavy internet issues. Hopefully I'm not talking out of my rear when I say that the router or network setup in general may be overloading the system by sending too many packets at once in a single moment. My router is three years old, so that could be a major contributor to the bugs I'm getting.

Video Crashes: Yes, the system crashes on video. More or so, it crashes when on a live streaming site like Justin.tv. I use JTV as sort of a secondary television just for the hell of it.

Hopefully I am on the right track. I will, in fact, save and paste one or two crash reports along with some of the system information and specs next time I post. Thanks for now! I will update soon.
Obscuraeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:24 AM   #17
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
It will matter if you pay attention to what I said in the next sentence after the one of mine you chose to highlight.
From his first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
via a clean install
to restoring the system from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Do you have any of these panic logs? Even though the hardware tests are checking out ok, you shouldn't be having panics playing video. As suggested earlier, if you have adequate RAM in the computer you might want to test by alternately taking out each RAM module and observing if anything works better.
Finally, have you used the computer on more than one network to see if it's not some strange network configuration issue, as unlikely as that sounds?
This is good advice, it can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
Good points! Although, not one of my first assumptions, these are worth inspecting.

Hardware: As far as the hardware being a factor, I have the maximum amount of RAM available to Macbook Pros and it was all switched around by a technician a good while ago.

Network: As a matter of fact, these issues started popping up after some heavy internet issues. Hopefully I'm not talking out of my rear when I say that the router or network setup in general may be overloading the system by sending too many packets at once in a single moment. My router is three years old, so that could be a major contributor to the bugs I'm getting.

Video Crashes: Yes, the system crashes on video. More or so, it crashes when on a live streaming site like Justin.tv. I use JTV as sort of a secondary television just for the hell of it.

Hopefully I am on the right track. I will, in fact, save and paste one or two crash reports along with some of the system information and specs next time I post. Thanks for now! I will update soon.
Any luck?
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Obscuraeon
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Any luck?
Nope! In fact, I was mistaken about the hardware test itself, thinking about the Disk Utility repair. The hardware test won't even start and immediately returns another Kernel Panic. The folks at Apple think this means it is software related oddly enough. I am not able to copy any report from the hardware test failure.

At first, connecting my router directly to my computer worked, making pages load insanely fast, but now they are back to their original shenanigans.

But as promised, I present you with a lengthy tantrum of code, the kernel panic report:

Quote:
Interval Since Last Panic Report: 1886820 sec
Panics Since Last Report: 6
Anonymous UUID: 2D425F55-26A1-497A-9E1F-774E4624A813

Tue Dec 4 21:11:50 2012
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80072b7bd5): Kernel trap at 0xffffff80075ec065, type 14=page fault, registers:
CR0: 0x000000008001003b, CR2: 0xffffef7f88c5a030, CR3: 0x0000000009f13000, CR4: 0x0000000000000660
RAX: 0xffffef7f88c5a020, RBX: 0xffffff7f88c5a020, RCX: 0x0000000000000000, RDX: 0xffffff801eeaa501
RSP: 0xffffff80efbcbed0, RBP: 0xffffff80efbcbee0, RSI: 0xffffff7f88c5a020, RDI: 0xffffff801b06a000
R8: 0xffffff80078bec60, R9: 0x7ffffffffffffffe, R10: 0x0000000000000617, R11: 0x0000000000000202
R12: 0x000000001eeb0831, R13: 0xffffff801f1f7800, R14: 0xffffff801b06a000, R15: 0xffffff801a43d800
RFL: 0x0000000000010287, RIP: 0xffffff80075ec065, CS: 0x0000000000000008, SS: 0x0000000000000010
Fault CR2: 0xffffef7f88c5a030, Error code: 0x0000000000000000, Fault CPU: 0x0

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff80efbcbb70 : 0xffffff800721d626
0xffffff80efbcbbe0 : 0xffffff80072b7bd5
0xffffff80efbcbdb0 : 0xffffff80072ce4ed
0xffffff80efbcbdd0 : 0xffffff80075ec065
0xffffff80efbcbee0 : 0xffffff7f88c44330
0xffffff80efbcbef0 : 0xffffff7f88c41022
0xffffff80efbcbf20 : 0xffffff8007649e4a
0xffffff80efbcbf60 : 0xffffff800723dcde
0xffffff80efbcbfb0 : 0xffffff80072b26b7
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.9f10)[0616A409-B8AF-34AC-A27A-F99939D8BD48]@0xffffff7f88c3c000->0xffffff7f88c6afff
dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.6)[E29D4200-5C5A-3A05-8A28-D3E26A985478]@0xffffff7f88c35000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
12C60

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 12.2.0: Sat Aug 25 00:48:52 PDT 2012; root:xnu-2050.18.24~1/RELEASE_X86_64
Kernel UUID: 69A5853F-375A-3EF4-9247-478FD0247333
Kernel slide: 0x0000000007000000
Kernel text base: 0xffffff8007200000
System model name: MacBookPro5,2 (Mac-F2268EC8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 6726131374701
last loaded kext at 4277122102374: com.apple.filesystems.smbfs 1.8 (addr 0xffffff7f894ba000, size 229376)
last unloaded kext at 1097128928899: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBCDC 4.1.22 (addr 0xffffff7f894a9000, size 12288)
loaded kexts:
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch 3883
com.apple.filesystems.smbfs 1.8
com.apple.filesystems.msdosfs 1.8
com.apple.filesystems.exfat 1.3
com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC 1.60
com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor 1.9.5d0
com.apple.driver.AGPM 100.12.69
com.apple.filesystems.autofs 3.0
com.apple.driver.AppleHDA 2.3.1f2
com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport 4.0.9f33
com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin 1.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyHIDDriver 122
com.apple.iokit.IOUserEthernet 1.0.0d1
com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager 4.0.9f33
com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X 7.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleMikeyDriver 2.3.1f2
com.apple.driver.AppleSMCLMU 2.0.2d0
com.apple.driver.AppleUpstreamUserClient 3.5.10
com.apple.driver.AppleLPC 1.6.0
com.apple.GeForce 8.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleMuxControl 3.2.11
com.apple.driver.AppleMCCSControl 1.0.33
com.apple.driver.ApplePolicyControl 3.2.11
com.apple.driver.SMCMotionSensor 3.0.2d6
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCButtons 235.4
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard 235.4
com.apple.driver.AppleIRController 320.15
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless 1.0.0d1
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib 1.0.0d1
com.apple.BootCache 34
com.apple.iokit.SCSITaskUserClient 3.5.1
com.apple.driver.XsanFilter 404
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage 2.2.2
com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI 4.9.6
com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4331 602.15.22
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub 5.2.5
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI 5.2.5
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort 2.4.1
com.apple.nvenet 2.0.19
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI 5.4.0
com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM 1.6.1
com.apple.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager 161.0.0
com.apple.driver.AppleRTC 1.5
com.apple.driver.AppleHPET 1.7
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons 1.6
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS 1.9
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC 1.6
com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC 1.6
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient 196.0.0
com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall 4.0.39
com.apple.security.quarantine 2
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement 196.0.0
com.apple.kext.triggers 1.0
com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib 2.3.1f2
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily 1.8.9fc10
com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib 1.6
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireIP 2.2.5
com.apple.iokit.AppleBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport 4.0.9f33
com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController 2.3.1f2
com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily 2.3.1f2
com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginLegacy 1.0.0
com.apple.iokit.IOSurface 86.0.3
com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily 10.0.6
com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily 4.0.9f33
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusPCI 1.0.10d0
com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily 5.2.0d16
com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert 1.0.4
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusController 1.0.10d0
com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsControl 3.2.11
com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal 8.0.0
com.apple.NVDAResman 8.0.0
com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport 2.3.5
com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily 2.3.5
com.apple.driver.AppleSMC 3.1.4d2
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMultitouch 235.7
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver 5.2.5
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice 3.5.1
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass 3.5.0
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub 5.2.5
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite 5.2.5
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice 3.5.1
com.apple.iokit.IOBDStorageFamily 1.7
com.apple.iokit.IODVDStorageFamily 1.7.1
com.apple.iokit.IOCDStorageFamily 1.7.1
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCISerialATAPI 2.5.0
com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily 3.5.1
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily 4.5.5
com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family 500.15
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient 5.2.5
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily 2.2.1
com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily 3.0
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily 5.4.0
com.apple.driver.NVSMU 2.2.9
com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime 1.6.1
com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily 1.8.0
com.apple.iokit.IOSMBusFamily 1.1
com.apple.security.sandbox 220
com.apple.kext.AppleMatch 1.0.0d1
com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet 7
com.apple.driver.DiskImages 344
com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily 1.8
com.apple.driver.AppleKeyStore 28.21
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform 1.6
com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily 2.7.2
com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily 1.4
com.apple.kec.corecrypto 1.0
Model: MacBookPro5,2, BootROM MBP52.008E.B05, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.42f4
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, PCI, 256 MB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, PCIe, 512 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz, 0x857F, 0x483634353155363446393333334700000000
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz, 0x857F, 0x483634353155363446393333334700000000
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.81.22)
Bluetooth: Version 4.0.9f33 10885, 2 service, 18 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Serial ATA Device: ST9500420ASG, 500.11 GB
Serial ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N, 8.31 GB
USB Device: Built-in iSight, apple_vendor_id, 0x8507, 0x24400000 / 2
USB Device: My Book, 0x1058 (Western Digital Technologies, Inc.), 0x1100, 0x26400000 / 3
USB Device: USB2.0 Hub, 0x05e3 (Genesys Logic, Inc.), 0x0608, 0x26200000 / 2
USB Device: Intuos5 touch S, 0x056a (WACOM Co., Ltd.), 0x0026, 0x26230000 / 5
USB Device: Cruzer Glide, 0x0781 (SanDisk Corporation), 0x5575, 0x26220000 / 4
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, apple_vendor_id, 0x0236, 0x04600000 / 4
USB Device: IR Receiver, apple_vendor_id, 0x8242, 0x04500000 / 3
USB Device: USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, 0x046d (Logitech Inc.), 0xc00e, 0x04100000 / 2
USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x06100000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, apple_vendor_id, 0x8217, 0x06110000 / 3
I am about to wipe my system again and run it purely on default applications until I take it to an Apple technician tomorrow. Since it was caused by Mountain Lion, Apple is giving me 90 days of free software support. If it's hardware related, I have to pay them 95$ an hour to fix it. What joy!

Wish me luck!
Obscuraeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:03 AM   #19
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscuraeon View Post
Nope! In fact, I was mistaken about the hardware test itself, thinking about the Disk Utility repair. The hardware test won't even start and immediately returns another Kernel Panic. The folks at Apple think this means it is software related oddly enough. I am not able to copy any report from the hardware test failure.

At first, connecting my router directly to my computer worked, making pages load insanely fast, but now they are back to their original shenanigans.

But as promised, I present you with a lengthy tantrum of code, the kernel panic report:

s
........
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.9f10)[0616A409-B8AF-34AC-A27A-F99939D8BD48]@0xffffff7f88c3c000->0xffffff7f88c6afff
dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.6)[E29D4200-5C5A-3A05-8A28-D3E26A985478]@0xffffff7f88c35000
System uptime in nanoseconds: 6726131374701
last loaded kext at 4277122102374: com.apple.filesystems.smbfs 1.8 (addr 0xffffff7f894ba000, size 229376)
last unloaded kext at 1097128928899: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBCDC 4.1.22 (addr 0xffffff7f894a9000, size 12288)



I am about to wipe my system again and run it purely on default applications until I take it to an Apple technician tomorrow. Since it was caused by Mountain Lion, Apple is giving me 90 days of free software support. If it's hardware related, I have to pay them 95$ an hour to fix it. What joy!

Wish me luck!
I am not an expert on Crash reports but I see two interesting entries, the two in bold, one has to do with Audio and the other seems like it also involves sound, DSP as far as I know is Digital signal processing and I believe that it is also found in Audio processing.
What if, these two are responsible.
Now, if you have a bootable backup you could remove these two from the Extensions folder, moving them out of the folder to lets say /System/Library and then restart.
You should only do this if you have a bootable backup since the System might not start up, I also would move these two files in the root account, then permissions won't change.

I first thought about the two in red font colour but those were loaded and unloaded way before you got the panic, you can see this by reading the time in nanoseconds, so they most likely were not involved.

I wish I saw this before, it might have helped, hope you read and try this before spending big bucks.

And, good luck.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #20
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oregon
Try a Safe Boot. Then launch Firefox. Does it work now?

Safe boot

* shutdown
* start the Mac and *wait* for the startup chime to sound
* after the sound, press and hold down the shift key
* keep holding and *wait* until the grey  Apple logo appears
* now release the shift key and just wait (it could take a few minutes)
* eventually the login screen appears with the words SAFE BOOT

See this link to see what happens during Safe Mode.

Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564
__________________
Diane Ross
Office Mac Help
OfficeforMacHelp
Scripts for Mac
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC