Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector for your iPad?

• Yes - I use a screen protector

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • No - I do not use a screen protector

Votes: 42 59.2%

• Total voters

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Do you use a screen protector for your iPad? I have a folio case for mine, but no screen protector - just use the screen naked.

Do you use a screen protector? I'd also like to know, do scratches easily collect on the iPad's screen?

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
No, I think screen protectors are generally ugly, annoying and would degrade the appearance of my iPad mini.

I've got a Smart Cover, so hopefully that prevents any scratches on the screen. If not, oh well.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
Yes I do. It's clear and I managed to get it on bubble free. I don't like the anti-glare ones. They look frosty and crappy.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Nope I've never seen a need. My 2 and 6 year old share my original iPad and there isn't a single scratch on the screen.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
Nope. I used my iPad 2 for over a year and there wasn't a single scratch on it when I sold it last month.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I always use a screen protector on all my devices. iPhone 5, ipad nano, and my ipad mini has a screen protector.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
make sense for Iphone and Ipod touch because u tend to put them in your pocket with keys and stuff.

Ipad, u just need a good quality case and leave it standby with cover on it. Should be okay, i dont think fingernails can damage your screen.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Bought one of the newer zagg hd body/screen kits for an iPad 2 - you guys are making double guess myself as to whether or not I even want to use it now...

I've had the older zaggs on my phones and was always happy with those.

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Nope. I buy a product because I like the way it is. What's the point in protecting it behind layers of plastic so that I never truly get to enjoy it the way it was designed just for it to become obsolete/replaced in a couple of years anyway.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I didn't think I needed one until I was laying on the couch with it and the dog decided to jump up on it. It got a lite scratch and that was enough for me.

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
I tend to keep my gadgets till they die After having to dispose of a non operating PDA with a perfect screen a few years ago, I thought what a shame it was I hadn't enjoyed the screen and had put up with a protector the whole time I owned the PDA. Since then I do not cover any screens that any of my gadgets happen to have. A microfiber cloth is the only thing I use on the screen once in a while to clean off any finger oils.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
The glass they use for iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches are very resistant to abrasions and scratches. As people have said earlier, I think that adding a screen protector would degrade the entire touch-screen experience. I would, however, get a case for it: preferably one with a back screen cover and a front screen cover. I, personally, use the Book Jacket Revolution folio case from the maker "Incase" -- it's great:

http://goincase.com/products/detail/book-jacket-revolution-cl60131

They retail a lot cheaper on Amazon, though.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I had a PowerSupport Anti-Glare HD screen protector on my iPad 2 and now I have one on my iPad 4. I'm not too worried about scratching my screen, but I HATE the way the screen collects fingerprints and smudges. The anti-glare film stays much cleaner.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I didn't care for one nor did I care for a case on the ipad but had it on all my other idevices..learned the hard way and now I have a case and a screen protector. Figures :rolleyes: . The screen protector really makes no difference in feel or appearance but I guess it depends on what you use.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Yes but only on the Mini.

My rule of thumb, if I can put it in my pocket Screen Protector is applied.

I wear track pants in the gym, bigger pockets. LOL

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i don't use a screen protector on my iPad or iPhone. both screens are in perfect shape

just goes to show how robust the corning glass is

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Believe it or not, i still have the plastic covering on it that it was packaged in and a case with a smart cover. Works well

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
No, on my iphone I do because it is out in the world everyday. In and out of my pocket and constantly being put down places. My iPad has a smart cover on it so when its not in use there is no worries about the screen getting scratched. Unless you have some exotic fingernails I'm not sure how you would scratch your iPad screen.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
I have one front and back on my mini, but oddly I do not have one on my iPhone. I guess this should be the other way around since I carry my phone everywhere and my iPad has only left the house once!

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I never use them. The entire point of a screen protector is to keep the screen scratch free to enhance it's clarity for as long as possible right?

So why put something on it that makes it less clear, more reflective and more prone to fingerprints and smudges? Such a paradox.

I've never had anything more than very, very minor scratches show up on any of my idevices. If I were obsessed with preserving perfect resale value then I might be more concerned with it, but I buy these things for my own enjoyment, not the satisfaction of others.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I don't find higher quality screen protectors reduce clarity or touch sensitivity, so that is just not the case. I am sure there are cheesy ones that do this cause you get what you pay for. I think for most screen protectors is more about peace of mind. It is a personal choice. I use them and when the time comes that I want to sell my device I can always say my screen is scratch free and this usually allows me to net more return. These displays do get little tiny scratches that become evident over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.