Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:20 PM   #1
ZakBrandonJake
macrumors member

iPhone 5 Bendgate, what should I do?

Hi there,

My iPhone 5 32GB is BENT from the volume button, I don't wear tight fitted jeans, or legging, I can't figure out how this has happened, I certainly don't put it in my back pocket, I am quite unhappy with a bend in my phone.. as many of you guys would be.

I have had my iPhone 5 swapped out 2 times before due to defects with the camera and screen, I will be taking this to the apple store in the future to see what my options are, I have read threads saying apple will void my warranty and claim its cosmetic damage to the phone, this is why I am quite reluctant to taking it in and making a point of it.

I noticed when I received this replacement there is a tiny BLUE stuck pixel on the screen which I tried to fix myself with coloured videos. I am not sure wether to go in and forget about the bend as it is hard to see/find from normal inspection and make a point of the blue pixel to get a replacement. Or to just but applecare+ and try to get it swapped via express replacement option.

I hate having a bent iPhone and I can't see how its my fault, I love my iPhone and wouldn't bend it on purpose, or attempt to harm it. I just want a flawless product without paying £150.

Thanks very much,

please give your suggestions?
ZakBrandonJake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #2
wrkactjob
Banned

Your ahead of the curve there bud!...bendy phones are not due out until next year.

Bend me, shape me: Flexible phones 'out by 2013'

wrkactjob is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
saberahul
macrumors 68040

I still refuse to believe that there is such a thing as bentgate. I put a slight amount of force on my 5 to see if it seems at all flimsy or bendable but seems sturdy to me… guess you all just have bad phones.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

You sit here and wait for all the fools that will say this phone is not able to bend.
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:32 PM   #5
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
You sit here and wait for all the fools that will say this phone is not able to bend.
fools who say it doesnt bend? no one denies that aluminum bends..or that select people have gotten one in the box slightly bent... people deny that it will bend magically with out you knowing
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:34 PM   #6
blueroom
macrumors 603

Pictures please.
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:38 PM   #7
ZakBrandonJake
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Pictures please.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2149357/image.jpeg

Opinions?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:39 PM   #8
MistaGavin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
I still refuse to believe that there is such a thing as bentgate. I put a slight amount of force on my 5 to see if it seems at all flimsy or bendable but seems sturdy to me… guess you all just have bad phones.
Betcha I can bend it.

Anyways OP: If it were me, call Apple and arrange for a replacement of the phone because of the stuck pixel. They may want you to restore, but it probably won't do anything. I wouldn't even mention the bent phone, because it's unrelated to the pixel issue.

Last edited by MistaGavin; Dec 5, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
MistaGavin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Opinions?

Excessive force was applied at some point in time in the iPhones life, whether you remember it or not.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:40 PM   #10
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakBrandonJake View Post
Someone sat on it. It didn't bend by itself. You would have noticed it when you opened the box.
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:41 PM   #11
ZakBrandonJake
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post
Betcha I can bend it.

Anyways OP: If it were me, call Apple and arrange for a replacement of the phone because of the stick pixel. They may want you to restore, but it probably won't do anything. I wouldn't even mention the bent phone.
I am going into a genius bar on Friday I think do you think its a good idea to just point out the dead pixel or go directly with apple care?

Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Steevie
Banned

Yeah try to get it swapped out for a different issue. Worked for me in the past
Steevie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:56 PM   #13
bradkb
macrumors member

Quote:
Or to just but applecare+ and try to get it swapped via express replacement option.

I hate having a bent iPhone and I can't see how its my fault, I love my iPhone and wouldn't bend it on purpose, or attempt to harm it. I just want a flawless product without paying £150.
If you are talking in pounds sterling, then you are in the UK? if so... Applecare+ is not available in the UK.
bradkb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
what should I do?
1. Don't call it bendgate.

2. Be more careful with your stuff. It didn't just bend by itself.

3. Take it to an Apple store and see if they will replace it. (free or for a fee)

4. Enjoy your new limited edition curved iPhone.
ucfgrad93 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:25 PM   #15
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
1. Don't call it bendgate.

2. Be more careful with your stuff. It didn't just bend by itself.

3. Take it to an Apple store and see if they will replace it. (free or for a fee)

4. Enjoy your new limited edition curved iPhone.
There someone on here with a bent iPad mini. Makes a great pair!
iAppl3Fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Jalopybox
Banned

Quote:
I am going into a genius bar on Friday I think do you think its a good idea to just point out the dead pixel or go directly with apple care?

Thanks.
St it on a table, bend it flat. Take to apple, tell them dead pixel. Get new phone.
Jalopybox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:49 PM   #17
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I wasn't able to view the picture from my phone, so I don't know how bad this particular one is, but.....
I wonder if some of the very slightly bent phones came that way, not 100% square/straight. Once I started reading all about these bent phones, I put mine on a glass table and I have to admit it is not perfectly flat, maybe a 0.5 mm space between the phone and glass in one corner. There is no detectable bend in the aluminum edge to my naked eye, and I NEVER would have noticed this unless I read all these posts. Maybe a lot are not perfectly manufactured and have ever so slight imperfections. I would be willing to bet my car is not perfectly symmetrical. Just a thought. I still don't believe my phone is bent, I think it probably came that way and I just noticed.
Nolander07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
bendgate, defective, iphone 5, problem