Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Gmail: my main, i have it set up as an exchange and to push
Work: exchange and unimportant for my daily life, manual
Yahoo: old main, no longer use it, manual.

its obvious.....the stuff i want asap, is on push. all others, manual/fetch.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
So for Mail, Contacts, Calendar as well as iCloud what does "Manual" do? I heard Manual improves battery life.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Gmail: my main, i have it set up as an exchange and to push
Work: exchange and unimportant for my daily life, manual
Yahoo: old main, no longer use it, manual.

its obvious.....the stuff i want asap, is on push. all others, manual/fetch.

Can I set Gmail as exchange if I don't have a company?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Built in mail app is Manual for both work Exchange and personal gmail accounts. Gmail app gives me top notifications but no sound.

I don't like to be bothered with every message and no push or fetch goes a long ways towards awesome battery life.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
So for Mail, Contacts, Calendar as well as iCloud what does "Manual" do? I heard Manual improves battery life.

Manual just means that when you open the particular app it updates. Mail checks for mail, calendar updates, etc.
I have mine set that way, calendar updates within a couple seconds after I open it. I am not important enough to need push mail. I assume having push off improves battery life slightly.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I use manual. The constant vibration for emails , i find are annoying. Plus it's probably helping my battery. I used to keep push, and I can't remember why I switched it off, but Ive been using it like this and I'm fine.

Whenever I want to check emails, I just press mail and it's loads fast enough.

I realize some people need to check emails right when they get it though. Not me.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Work email is manual. Personal gmail account is set to 'fetch' every hour.

How do you guys have your iCloud set? Manual, fetch or push?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Work email is manual. Personal gmail account is set to 'fetch' every hour.

How do you guys have your iCloud set? Manual, fetch or push?

Not sure what's the diff for iCloud if set either ways. Mine is set to "Push". :cool:

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.

i think it depends on how much email you receive.

if you receive a lot of email and you don't need to read it immediately you might be better of in manual - you wont be constantly bombarded with notifications annoying the hell out of you and it will save battery life.

if you receive email once in a while there is no reason to not use push; and it wont decrease your battery life as much.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
I have all my three emails on push, as i want my iPhone to be as reliable as my blackberry. I stop caring about battery anymore as i have mophie case and always carry a powerbank.

elkheard

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
Silence your email alerts

Several people have mentioned that they don't want to be "bothered" or "pinged" every time an email comes in which is why they don't use "push." I use "push" and set my email alert tone to "silent." That way when I pull my phone out I will see that I have emails but I don't have to be bothered with an alert every time one comes in.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Several people have mentioned that they don't want to be "bothered" or "pinged" every time an email comes in which is why they don't use "push." I use "push" and set my email alert tone to "silent." That way when I pull my phone out I will see that I have emails but I don't have to be bothered with an alert every time one comes in.

That could work.

Or, you could turn off push. Then, whenever you open your mail app, it grabs your email. I am thinking that takes less power from the phone searching every hour. Since you are not going to read any email until you want to (opening the app), not much reason to have it push.

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
Push is the best if you are an email-critical user. I am, so I have iCloud set to push.

Gmail cut out push support for iOS, (who's being petty and anti-competitive now?) so I forward all my Gmail to an iCloud folder and respond to it from my iCloud account.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I use push for iCloud email - less drain on battery than polling every 15/30 min or hourly, as I don't get lots of email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.