Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:40 PM   #651
Koodauw
macrumors 68040
 
Koodauw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Madison
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Ill quote this, just because its awesome.

Everyone Loves Barry because he was 3-0 In the Rose Bowl. Bret was 0-2, but you have to look at the the teams they played. The first UCLA team and that Stanford team don't compare to Oregon last year or TCU the year before.

Last edited by Koodauw; Dec 5, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:51 AM   #652
HE15MAN
macrumors 6502a
 
HE15MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida's Treasure Coast
Tennessee finally has a coach about being rejected 27 times and have hired Butch Jones from Cincy


USF is interviewing Clemson OC today.
HE15MAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:40 AM   #653
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by HE15MAN View Post
Tennessee finally has a coach about being rejected 27 times and have hired Butch Jones from Cincy
Colorado really thought they had Jones wrapped up, but supposedly he wasn't sold on CU being a "destination" job, and when Gundy/Strong/everyone else backed away from the UT job, he jumped on it.

Pretty amazing that a top 15 (historically speaking) job comes available twice in a few years and both times they have to "settle" for their fifth or sixth choice despite offering $3M+ per year.

I wonder who's next on CU's list? I've seen some reports that Fresno HC Tim DeRuyter (formerly DC at A&M and Air Force; also played at Air Force) has shown interest in the job. After going 9-3 in his first season at Fresno, it would seem like a pretty smart hire (at this point, anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HE15MAN View Post
USF is interviewing Clemson OC today.
Conflicting reports here. ESPN and a few others (including an Austin columnist who knows Morris personally) say he's interviewing while Morris, himself, denied that he was to a couple of SC newspapers.

If it was a head coach interviewing, I wouldn't believe the denials for a second, but why would an OC deny them? Weird.
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:22 AM   #654
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Heisman reveal tonight. While there's little doubt that the Heisman is no more than a popularity contest and only sometimes reflects who the actual best player in college football is, I'm still hoping like hell that Manziel wins it.

The move to the SEC started a little buzz, but most thought the Aggies were crazy and would fail miserably. The hiring of Sumlin made a lot of folks think that A&M would eventually have success in the league, but no more than, say, Arkansas has. The instant success of this season, coupled with all the hype around Johnny, has helped create a recruiting bonanza and suddenly A&M is poised to compete for a lot more now and in the long term.

The Ags have three underclassmen who are all potential first round picks in the NFL this year. In the unlikely event that all three stay, and if Johnny wins the Heisman and A&M beats OU in in the Cotton Bowl, the hype from the media will be through the roof next year. Maybe even national championship contender hype.

It's a great time to be an Aggie.
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:36 AM   #655
benthewraith
macrumors 68030
 
benthewraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
If it was a head coach interviewing, I wouldn't believe the denials for a second, but why would an OC deny them? Weird.
Doesn't matter. USF hired Taggert.
benthewraith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:09 AM   #656
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthewraith View Post
Doesn't matter. USF hired Taggert.
Good hire. Someone will get another good one when Morris finally decides to move up, too.
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:33 PM   #657
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Tommy Tuberville quit Texas Tech this morning to take the job at...Cincinnati.

Regardless of what Tech fans think of Tuberville, losing him to a Big East lightweight is a bit of a black eye for the Tech program and the Big 12 Conference.

Early rumors have Chad Morris and Kliff Kingsbury as targets for his replacement, though. Both those guys are great, young offensive minds and would be fantastic hires in Lubbock, so it could end up being a net upgrade.
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:37 PM   #658
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." -Vincent Thomas Lombardi

__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:11 PM   #659
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Johnny Heisman. Amazing year at Texas A&M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	382422  
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:13 AM   #660
malman89
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
I'm glad he won. Even as a public SEC hater, in the end he was clearly the best player in college football.

The Heisman is for the best player in college football, not the MVP. If it were the MVP, obviously Te'o would win. It isn't always that way every year, but luckily it has been the past few years with Manziel, RG3, and that scum, Newton. They were clearly the best players and won (and with Newton, also the MVP).
__________________
Current Machine: Lenovo IdeaPad Z510

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:31 AM   #661
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
did you see the old men sleeping in the front row during the presentation? hilarious
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:37 AM   #662
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
The Heisman is for the best player in college football, not the MVP. If it were the MVP, obviously Te'o would win.
I'm not so sure Te'o is even the MVP. He's clearly a great player and the heart of that defense, but picture A&M without Johnny or K-State without Klein, then picture Notre Dame with Te'o.

Would A&M be 10-2? Would K-State be 11-1? Would Notre Dame be 12-0? If the answer is "no" to all three, which team's record suffers the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
did you see the old men sleeping in the front row during the presentation? hilarious
Haha I missed that! I did see an old guy (sitting right behind the finalists) cleaning his fingernails with his ticket, though.
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:40 PM   #663
malman89
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
I'm not so sure Te'o is even the MVP. He's clearly a great player and the heart of that defense, but picture A&M without Johnny or K-State without Klein, then picture Notre Dame with Te'o.

Would A&M be 10-2? Would K-State be 11-1? Would Notre Dame be 12-0? If the answer is "no" to all three, which team's record suffers the most?
Good question, but in an MVP debate, you also need to consider the immeasurable effect Te'o has on his team as the heart/soul/spirit of the ND team. Also, he's the most valuable player on (arguably) the best team in the nation. Without him, ND easily has the most to lose (not be undefeated and going for a BCS championship).

It would still be difficult and be sort of splitting hairs, but I think if you frame it as an MVP award, the scales tip into Te'o's favor.
__________________
Current Machine: Lenovo IdeaPad Z510

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:26 PM   #664
jsolares
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Land of eternal Spring
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
I'm not so sure Te'o is even the MVP. He's clearly a great player and the heart of that defense, but picture A&M without Johnny or K-State without Klein, then picture Notre Dame with Te'o.

Would A&M be 10-2? Would K-State be 11-1? Would Notre Dame be 12-0? If the answer is "no" to all three, which team's record suffers the most?



Haha I missed that! I did see an old guy (sitting right behind the finalists) cleaning his fingernails with his ticket, though.
I think NDs record suffer the least, but the impact would be the worst, as in no longer playing for the national championship.
__________________
Macbook Air 13" 2013 i7 512GB SSD 8GB RAM; iMac 27" 2010 i5 2.8ghz 2x256GB SSD 24GB RAM
jsolares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #665
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
Good question, but in an MVP debate, you also need to consider the immeasurable effect Te'o has on his team as the heart/soul/spirit of the ND team. Also, he's the most valuable player on (arguably) the best team in the nation. Without him, ND easily has the most to lose (not be undefeated and going for a BCS championship).

It would still be difficult and be sort of splitting hairs, but I think if you frame it as an MVP award, the scales tip into Te'o's favor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolares View Post
I think NDs record suffer the least, but the impact would be the worst, as in no longer playing for the national championship.
Fair arguments. I disagree, of course, but I do agree that it's just splitting hairs at this point. All three guys (and a few others, too) were worthy candidates. I'm just glad the voters got it right.

__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:40 AM   #666
HE15MAN
macrumors 6502a
 
HE15MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida's Treasure Coast
How in the world is aTM taking 35 players his year?
HE15MAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:57 AM   #667
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
So the WVU mascot shot a bear with his mascot musket. It's causing a a bit of a stir. Don't watch the video below unless you want to see a bear dying (it's not graphic/bloody though).



Quote:
Originally Posted by HE15MAN View Post
How in the world is aTM taking 35 players his year?
A few probably won't qualify, one will be drafted in the first round of the MLB draft, and six will enroll early (which means they count toward 2012 instead of 2013). My understanding is that the SEC only allows 25 per class, so when all is said and done that's what the 2013 class will technically be.
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]

Last edited by IgnatiusTheKing; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:29 PM   #668
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Kliff Kingsbury is the new head coach at Texas Tech.

I'm bummed we couldn't keep him for another year (or more) but expected he would be gone sooner rather than later, and when Tuberville bolted I knew it was the obvious move for them. He's a stud and should be great in Lubbock. Home run hire.

Speaking of Tuberville, what a piece of garbage that guy is. He ditched some recruits at dinner on Friday night—just left them sitting in the restaurant—to take the job at Cincinnati. D-bag.
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:55 PM   #669
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
I seriously doubt any of you guys are FCS fans, but the FCS Semifinals are on ESPN2 Friday night with Georgia Southern vs North Dakota St. We played Old Dominion University on Saturday on ESPN in a great game, and hopefully this one turns out just as positively for the Eagles.
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:17 PM   #670
Roller
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
Speaking of Tuberville, what a piece of garbage that guy is. He ditched some recruits at dinner on Friday night—just left them sitting in the restaurant—to take the job at Cincinnati. D-bag.
Geez. His departure from Ole Miss wasn't much better. No class.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:56 PM   #671
steve2112
macrumors 68040
 
steve2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
Kliff Kingsbury is the new head coach at Texas Tech.

I'm bummed we couldn't keep him for another year (or more) but expected he would be gone sooner rather than later, and when Tuberville bolted I knew it was the obvious move for them. He's a stud and should be great in Lubbock. Home run hire.

Speaking of Tuberville, what a piece of garbage that guy is. He ditched some recruits at dinner on Friday night—just left them sitting in the restaurant—to take the job at Cincinnati. D-bag.

I read about Tuberville doing that. I knew he was a d-bag, but wow.
__________________
He's wise enough to win the world, but fool enough to lose it.
steve2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:28 PM   #672
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugolfer View Post
I seriously doubt any of you guys are FCS fans, but the FCS Semifinals are on ESPN2 Friday night with Georgia Southern vs North Dakota St. We played Old Dominion University on Saturday on ESPN in a great game, and hopefully this one turns out just as positively for the Eagles.
I'll be watching the other semifinal because of Sam Houston State and then I'll probably watch the finals, too. Playoffs are a great thing, huh?
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:45 AM   #673
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
I'll be watching the other semifinal because of Sam Houston State and then I'll probably watch the finals, too. Playoffs are a great thing, huh?
Yes, although the FCS field is too large. 12 would be ideal if you want to give first round byes.
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:56 AM   #674
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugolfer View Post
Yes, although the FCS field is too large. 12 would be ideal if you want to give first round byes.
I'm in favor of 8 with no byes but yeah, 12 is pretty good, too.
__________________
[ Gig 'em ]

Last edited by IgnatiusTheKing; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:18 PM   #675
HE15MAN
macrumors 6502a
 
HE15MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida's Treasure Coast
Playoffs really suck for teams that play tough schedules during the season
HE15MAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 - NCAA College Football Live kohinamitru iPhone 1 Oct 27, 2012 02:13 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC