Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
wickedking94
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Any way at all to upgrade the CPU in a MacBook Pro?

Mine is a mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro, and its just an awful piece of junk lately. And I know the cause is the Core 2 Duo CPU. Its to old and slow to do anything processor intensive. I can't render in Maya or adobe after effects, I can barely play certain games because the physics engines are to CPU dependant.

I know the CPU is soldered to the logic board, but is there a way to put a logic board with say a core i5 or core i7 on it into mine? Or there was a company that you could send old iMac G3 logic boards to and they would de-solder the CPU and put a faster one on, is there something like that for MacBook Pro's?

I really don't think I should have to buy a whole new computer when this ones only 2 years old. Apple is so stupid when it comes to designing computers. Who cares if its thin if I can't upgrade anything on it? Honestly I might not ever buy another apple computer if they keep making them less upgradable. They're all about the environment then they should make it more upgradable so theres less waste.
wickedking94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Pentad
macrumors 6502a
 
Pentad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Mine is a mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro, and its just an awful piece of junk lately. And I know the cause is the Core 2 Duo CPU. Its to old and slow to do anything processor intensive. I can't render in Maya or adobe after effects, I can barely play certain games because the physics engines are to CPU dependant.

I know the CPU is soldered to the logic board, but is there a way to put a logic board with say a core i5 or core i7 on it into mine? Or there was a company that you could send old iMac G3 logic boards to and they would de-solder the CPU and put a faster one on, is there something like that for MacBook Pro's?

I really don't think I should have to buy a whole new computer when this ones only 2 years old. Apple is so stupid when it comes to designing computers. Who cares if its thin if I can't upgrade anything on it? Honestly I might not ever buy another apple computer if they keep making them less upgradable. They're all about the environment then they should make it more upgradable so theres less waste.
Short answer: No.
__________________
2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina * 2.6 Ghz QCore * 16 GB RAM * 1 TB SSD; OS X 10.10; Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit via Boot Camp ;
Pentad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
I really don't think I should have to buy a whole new computer when this ones only 2 years old. Apple is so stupid when it comes to designing computers. Who cares if its thin if I can't upgrade anything on it? Honestly I might not ever buy another apple computer if they keep making them less upgradable. They're all about the environment then they should make it more upgradable so theres less waste.
You "know the cause"?

You bought a small form factor machine that didn't have space for both a discrete GPU and a core i series CPU.

If you had bought a 13" PC laptop you would have gotten a useless integrated GPU and would have similar issues.

You wouldn't be able to upgrade CPU on that, either.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:04 PM   #4
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000
 
pgiguere1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Apple is so stupid when it comes to designing computers. Who cares if its thin if I can't upgrade anything on it? Honestly I might not ever buy another apple computer if they keep making them less upgradable.
Good luck finding a laptop from another brand that is more upgradable than your MBP.
pgiguere1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:30 PM   #5
wickedking94
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Well see if I had bought a of I could probably gotten a 15 inch with a decent CPU and gpu. A 15 inch MBP is a lot more than a 13 inch. And yeah both my brothers PC laptops, a 13 inch and a 17 inch have upgradable CPUs and GPUs. And my brothers 13 inch PC laptop has a core i series CPU and a separate gpu. Your telling me apple with all its designing couldn't find a way to make it work?

----------

It doesn't matter now anyways because I shoved the piece of junk off my desk and onto the floor and I'm just going to use my phone until apple figures out that nobody actually cares how thin their laptop is.
wickedking94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:54 PM   #6
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Yes, Apple laptops aren't known for their hardware. Their 13" laptops have always been underpowered.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, iPhone 6 Plus, Harold (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 980 @ 1512/3750MHz)
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Most laptops dont have a way to upgrade the CPU and certainly not the GPU.
__________________
MacBook Air 2010, 1.4ghz, 4gb, 128GB <3 my baby
MacBook Pro Retina 2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb.
iPhone 5 16GB AT&T
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:08 PM   #8
g8rduc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
What brand PC's do they own that have upgradable CPU's and GPU's?


Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Well see if I had bought a of I could probably gotten a 15 inch with a decent CPU and gpu. A 15 inch MBP is a lot more than a 13 inch. And yeah both my brothers PC laptops, a 13 inch and a 17 inch have upgradable CPUs and GPUs. And my brothers 13 inch PC laptop has a core i series CPU and a separate gpu. Your telling me apple with all its designing couldn't find a way to make it work?

----------

It doesn't matter now anyways because I shoved the piece of junk off my desk and onto the floor and I'm just going to use my phone until apple figures out that nobody actually cares how thin their laptop is.
__________________
2006 MBP 17", 4GB (3), 1TB HD (sold); iPhone 4; iPod 4th Gen, iPad 4, iPod 1st Gen, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle
2011.5 MBP 17", 16GB RAM, Samsung 830
g8rduc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:17 PM   #9
T5BRICK
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Well see if I had bought a of I could probably gotten a 15 inch with a decent CPU and gpu. A 15 inch MBP is a lot more than a 13 inch. And yeah both my brothers PC laptops, a 13 inch and a 17 inch have upgradable CPUs and GPUs. And my brothers 13 inch PC laptop has a core i series CPU and a separate gpu. Your telling me apple with all its designing couldn't find a way to make it work?
What brand laptops are those anyway? From what I can tell, Apple puts a huge battery in their laptops which severely limits the amount of space for more components. Most users find this a fair trade off.

Quote:
It doesn't matter now anyways because I shoved the piece of junk off my desk and onto the floor and I'm just going to use my phone until apple figures out that nobody actually cares how thin their laptop is.
LOL! Apple isn't going to figure out that "nobody cares" if they keep selling the way they do.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:24 PM   #10
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000
 
pgiguere1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
It doesn't matter now anyways because I shoved the piece of junk off my desk and onto the floor and I'm just going to use my phone until apple figures out that nobody actually cares how thin their laptop is.
Wow.

Couldn't you have done research beforehand instead of realizing this now and acting like a spoiled child?

I'm pretty sure you would ask any Apple store employee what computer to buy for Maya, After effects and gaming and he wouldn't recommend you a 13" MBP. He would also tell you you can't upgrade the CPU/GPU.

There are much worse things in life man. Just buy a new one if you're not happy or accept that your computer is not the fastest. This is a first world problem.
pgiguere1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:28 PM   #11
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
It doesn't matter now anyways because I shoved the piece of junk off my desk and onto the floor and I'm just going to use my phone until apple figures out that nobody actually cares how thin their laptop is.
You sure showed them a thing or two now didn't you?

That'll teach those bastards at Apple.

LOL!
Krazy Bill is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Stetrain
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
It doesn't matter now anyways because I shoved the piece of junk off my desk and onto the floor and I'm just going to use my phone until apple figures out that nobody actually cares how thin their laptop is.
Let me know when you find a comparable 13" laptop that has a socketed CPU that you can upgrade yourself.
Stetrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:00 PM   #13
Ccrew
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
You sure showed them a thing or two now didn't you?

That'll teach those bastards at Apple.
Reminds me of my son when he was about 5 getting into a tantrum and throwing the bedroom door open so hard that it bounced back and the doorknob hit him in the mouth. Lost 2 front teeth in the process.
Ccrew is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:02 PM   #14
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
Let me know when you find a comparable 13" laptop that has a socketed CPU that you can upgrade yourself.
There are 14" models. Not a huge difference in size.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:31 PM   #15
wickedking94
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Wow.

Couldn't you have done research beforehand
instead of realizing this now and acting like a spoiled child?

I'm pretty sure you would ask any Apple store employee what computer to buy for Maya, After effects and gaming and he wouldn't recommend you a 13" MBP. He would also tell you you can't upgrade the CPU/GPU.

There are much worse things in life man. Just buy a new one if you're not happy or accept that your computer is not the fastest. This is a first world problem.
Well first i got the stupid thing 2 years ago which was well before I started doing animation and video. And no i shouldn't have to buy a whole new computer to replace one that's a mere 2 years old.

And yes you can totally replace the CPU in plenty of laptops out there. My brothers old acer had an upgradable CPU, my other brothers old dell had an upgradable CPU, my brothers current Asus has an upgradable CPU, and amazingly enough my other brothers 13 inch Lenovo has an upgradable CPU. So 4/4 clearly it's not uncommon and these aren't expensive high end laptops there everyday 500$ ones. My brothers Lenovo is almost identical size and thickness as my MacBook Pro so if Lenovo can fit an upgradable CPU into it I'm sure apple could have done it with the MacBook Pro.

And yeah this is a first world problem. But I live in the first world so i don't care about the second or third world.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Removed insults.
wickedking94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:33 PM   #16
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
It's not upgradeable. Best bet is to sell your C2D MBP and upgrade to something suitable for 3D rendering.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:36 PM   #17
wickedking94
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Yeah but at most I might get 600-800$ for this thing. That's not even enough to buy a quad core i7 Mac mini, and I still need a laptop for school next year.
wickedking94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:37 PM   #18
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Yeah but at most I might get 600-800$ for this thing. That's not even enough to buy a quad core i7 Mac mini, and I still need a laptop for school next year.
Well you're in a pickle.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:52 PM   #19
kingbob
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Yeah but at most I might get 600-800$ for this thing. That's not even enough to buy a quad core i7 Mac mini, and I still need a laptop for school next year.
Sell it for $600-$800 and get a $500, everyday laptop. why are you getting an apple branded machine again? this way you'll actually make some money AND you'll get what you need: an upgradable laptop.
kingbob is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:52 PM   #20
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
what laptops have upgradeable cpus?


even if they were.......the cpu sockets change too frequently for it to be worth it
dukebound85 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:00 AM   #21
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
Well first i got the stupid thing 2 years ago which was well before I started doing animation and video. And no i shouldn't have to buy a whole new computer to replace one that's a mere 2 years old.

And yes you can totally replace the CPU in plenty of laptops out there. My brothers old acer had an upgradable CPU, my other brothers old dell had an upgradable CPU, my brothers current Asus has an upgradable CPU, and amazingly enough my other brothers 13 inch Lenovo has an upgradable CPU. So 4/4 clearly it's not uncommon and these aren't expensive high end laptops there everyday 500$ ones. My brothers Lenovo is almost identical size and thickness as my MacBook Pro so if Lenovo can fit an upgradable CPU into it I'm sure apple could have done it with the MacBook Pro.

And yeah this is a first world problem. But I live in the first world so i don't care about the second or third world.
Think about what you're asking. You want to upgrade from a c2d to a sandy bridge CPU. Not only are they different sockets, you probably need new RAM. Sorry if you can't afford a new computer, too bad. As you say, we are in a first world country, you should be able to make enough money to purchase a new laptop.
__________________
MacBook Air 2010, 1.4ghz, 4gb, 128GB <3 my baby
MacBook Pro Retina 2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb.
iPhone 5 16GB AT&T
iPad 3 16GB.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Xgm541 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:14 AM   #22
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
and I still need a laptop for school next year.
That smashed Macbook lying on the floor is lookin' pretty good right about now?
Krazy Bill is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:26 AM   #23
superhrixenz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgm541 View Post
As you say, we are in a first world country, you should be able to make enough money to purchase a new laptop.
Let's raise money for a good cause.
superhrixenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:39 AM   #24
Mr MM
macrumors 65816
 
Mr MM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Different sockets. You cant upgrade from any socket that intel released for its notebooks to a new series, for example, the 1st core i series to the 2nd core i series. You can do the backwards process with the 3rd gen chipset to a 2nd gen cpu.

Thing is, I was actually wondering why you couldnt just change the logic board on the mbp and get a boost right there, the design is the same and everything looks the same, it might not be. Better check with some ifixit guides.

Another thing, stop the show.
Mr MM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:40 AM   #25
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
McDonalds is hiring.
Moshe1010 is offline   9 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro CPU fan running no reason (hot), MassStorageCamera using all CPU Pollsy123 Mac Basics and Help 1 Nov 30, 2014 11:48 AM
Mac Pro 3,1 CPU Upgrade DawgBone Mac Pro 36 Aug 10, 2014 09:37 PM
Mac Pro 1,1 CPU upgrade ohh epic fail Mac Pro 24 Sep 18, 2013 02:13 PM
Can I upgrade a Mac Pro 4,1 CPU with a 3,1 CPU? cbt3 Mac Pro 11 Jul 30, 2012 09:54 AM
Mac Pro 1,1 CPU upgrade michael_aos Mac Pro 5 Jun 13, 2012 05:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC