Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Kickstarter Speaker Boombot REX Boasts Siri Integration

The Boombot REX Ultraportable speaker from Boombotix is an intriguing new Kickstarter project that promises to deliver quality sound in a durable, pocket-sized package.

This hexagon-shaped Bluetooth speaker is designed to be worn externally, and as such, it sports a built-in clip and a rugged, water resistant exterior that can even withstand grime and mud.

It has high powered dual drivers and a bass woofer, along with speakerphone capabilities and a lithium-ion battery that is rated for six hours of continuous use.
Quote:
We built the REX to be rugged, rechargeable, and water resistant, so you can take it with you just about anywhere. The sound of the REX is driven by two 36-millimeter drivers and a bass woofer. The bass woofer allows us to generate a full rich dynamic range sound without increasing power consumption.
Most impressively, the Boombot REX is the first ultraportable speaker to offer Siri integration, similar to how the feature works with Bluetooth headsets and vehicle systems. Users can push a button, make a request to Siri, and Siri will answer back through the speaker.

After just a day on Kickstarter, the Boombot REX is 80 percent funded, with over $22,000 of a $27,000 goal. Interested backers can get a limited edition Arctic white REX speaker for $75, or for $80, the REX is available in Electric Blue, Savage Green, and Pitch Black. For more information on the Boombot REX, which is currently expected to ship beginning in February 2013 should it reach its funding goal, check out the Kickstarter page.

Article Link: Kickstarter Speaker Boombot REX Boasts Siri Integration
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Don't see the point of this, Siri integration in a speaker?

And then the price of it.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:55 PM   #3
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Don't understand the point of this.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:58 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'm with some others, I don't get the point of this except to use Siri as their gimmick to sell units.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

price should be about half... I can get a full size waterproof speaker for 80, should be able to get this for like 40-50
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:04 PM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G4

The device looks very useful. More often on a desk or clipped to an object, than on a person (but if you need that too—it’s a need few speakers will fill).

Siri integration seems like a small thing, not the main reason most people would get this.

But it would be useful: your phone is in your pocket, while the speaker is on your desk. Want to dial a call, request an album, set an alarm, fire off a text, cancel an appointment? (Anything Siri does faster than getting the phone out and tap-tap-tapping, and that doesn’t need your eyes.) Touch the speaker and go!

Basically, the same uses Siri has on the iPhone’s included headset, or a Bluetooth headset, when the phone is pocketed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
price should be about half... I can get a full size waterproof speaker for 80, should be able to get this for like 40-50
To be fair, size alone is not the only cost of designing a product. There’s some other tech in here (like the buttons and Bluetooth interface) lacking in most speakers. And this is a specific-use product that probably won’t sell as widely as simple outdoor speakers; and it comes from a small startup. So—no economy of scale yet.
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:31 PM   #7
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
But it would be useful: your phone is in your pocket, while the speaker is on your desk. Want to dial a call, request an album, set an alarm, fire off a text, cancel an appointment? (Anything Siri does faster than getting the phone out and tap-tap-tapping, and that doesn’t need your eyes.) Touch the speaker and go!

Basically, the same uses Siri has on the iPhone’s included headset, or a Bluetooth headset, when the phone is pocketed.
Still a 'Useless' expensive gimmick, if you are sitting at your desk for a bit longer, then take it out and use it on the desk, a dock would be a better option.
It takes mere seconds to get it out of your pocket.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:34 AM   #8
aajeevlin
macrumors regular

Yea, I'm with the others, I don't see the point of this. The price point is just not low enough, for $75-80 I think I can find better. Also, the whole Siri thing, and having a speaker on your desk is not all that useful. I can't see people using it in an office like environment, most people don't get a huge room all to themselves and I won't want a speaker on the table to announce every single phone calls let alone play loud music. If I really want to keep my phone in the drawer or in my pocket, I'll just use my bluetooth, it already works great with Siri.
aajeevlin is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:50 AM   #9
Garsun
macrumors member

I see the use for this

Any outdoor activity where my phone is safer in my pocket. Say around sand or water. My back yard pool or around the beach or desert. Even at home by the bath where I would like to keep my phone away from the water but still listen to my audio book and be able to answer a call if needed. Seem useful to me
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:23 PM   #10
JJS23
macrumors newbie

missing the point

You guys aren't getting the "point" of this speaker?! Just because the title of the post adds "Siri Integration" doesn't make it the entire "point" of the speaker. The "point" is PORTABILITY. Are you guys going to be walking around with your "full size waterproof speaker"?! I don't think so. This speaker is for the outdoor type. For the bicycle rider or the skateboarder or snowboarder. If that isn't you, then get your "full size speaker". This speaker has dual drivers with a built in subwoofer. In such a small package, I think it's worth the $75-$100. And with all the other features, you can't beat this speaker. Find a speaker as small, more portable, and louder than this that's cheaper than $100. I bet you can't.
JJS23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:00 PM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS23 View Post
You guys aren't getting the "point" of this speaker?! Just because the title of the post adds "Siri Integration" doesn't make it the entire "point" of the speaker. The "point" is PORTABILITY. Are you guys going to be walking around with your "full size waterproof speaker"?! I don't think so. This speaker is for the outdoor type. For the bicycle rider or the skateboarder or snowboarder. If that isn't you, then get your "full size speaker". This speaker has dual drivers with a built in subwoofer. In such a small package, I think it's worth the $75-$100. And with all the other features, you can't beat this speaker. Find a speaker as small, more portable, and louder than this that's cheaper than $100. I bet you can't.
I'm sorry but I cannot see doing any activity that you mention whilst carrying a speaker of any size.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:19 PM   #12
JJS23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I'm sorry but I cannot see doing any activity that you mention whilst carrying a speaker of any size.
lol, it has a clip, hence the "portability". this isn't the 80s, nobody is carrying speakers on their shoulders anymore. it's almost 2013, there's inventions such as clips, so that you may clip it to your backpack, belt or anywhere else that clipping would be suitable
JJS23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:26 PM   #13
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS23 View Post
lol, it has a clip, hence the "portability". this isn't the 80s, nobody is carrying speakers on their shoulders anymore. it's almost 2013, there's inventions such as clips, so that you may clip it to your backpack, belt or anywhere else that clipping would be suitable
They have things called clips now! Hold the ****ing bat phone robin!

Please, you can't convince me a speaker clipped to me is going to work while snowboarding, for example.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion