Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:27 PM   #126
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a

I'm certainly with the OP on this one. I'm afraid when my 2011 iMac needs to be replaced then I will be looking at the Mini. The new iMac is way overpriced and functionally deficient. Nothing more than a Lappy on a stick - sorry Apple.
Lankyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:30 PM   #127
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveOn View Post
First time poster also raises my suspicions!
Wow people actually unhappy?!

Stop the presses
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:39 PM   #128
Thunderbird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp27 View Post
Why do you have two printers a scanner and a multifunction? I thought multifunctions were a printer and a scanner combined. Why do you need three printers and two scanners? If you're that serious about printing, I would have thought a networked printer would be more appropriate than USB. Also, isn't bluetooth standard for wireless keyboards/mice? For that matter, how many PCs out there come with 6 USB as standard, which seems to be how many you seem to be asking for? Certainly no mac ever has.
I use the color laser printer for reports, essays and color documents. This particular printer has the best text printing I've ever seen. I use the inkjet for photography and poster making. The multifunction I use for copying/faxing, and the separate scanner is a high end photo quality scanner. Most scanners on multifunction devices are junk.

I prefer a wired mechancial keyboard and mouse to anything bluetooth. I like the feel and response.

Most PCs come with 6 USB ports standard, and have for years.
Thunderbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:02 PM   #129
Thunderbird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arman View Post
Dude haven't u ever used a USB hub? Ur not limited to the 4 ports.
I have, and yes, that is an option. But we're talking about convenience, cost, the all-in-one form of the iMac and what's possible to offer. Most PC's offer 6 USB ports standard, which is more convenient, and for some people mitigates the cost of buying a hub. If Apple is going to make people who want an optical drive or hub have to plug in more of these external devices then it makes sense to offer more ports. After all, the more things that are built in to an all-in-one, the more of an all-in-one it really is.
Thunderbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:08 PM   #130
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
My question honestly though is why does the base model cost more now? Also why would they take away the ability for you to upgrade your Ram easily?

Honestly what is Apple really doing here?
Uh......making more money?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:58 PM   #131
Arman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyman View Post
I'm certainly with the OP on this one. I'm afraid when my 2011 iMac needs to be replaced then I will be looking at the Mini. The new iMac is way overpriced and functionally deficient. Nothing more than a Lappy on a stick - sorry Apple.
U could go the mini route but what are going to use for a display? If u get rid of ur iMac (assuming u sell it) what are u gonna do for mouse/keyboard. What about audio? Also are u ok with a 25% hit in performance compared to an equivalent iMac? Your display plus inputs plus speakers would put u over $1000 on top of the the mini price. U wouldn't come out very far ahead in my view.
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:03 PM   #132
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlipo View Post
I believe the perfect upgrade to the iMac would have been to simply make the screen less reflective and have a more fairly priced Fusion drive, plus the processor and graphic card improvements. The thickness of the box should have stayed the same (already PLENTY thin), thus allowing the SC card reader to remain conveniently on the side, the optical drive to remain and, most importantly, the audio quality should have at lease been maintained, if not improved.
Seeing as the old 2011 imac was available with a bto SSD which could be configured as a fusion drive, you are basically saying that all you wanted in the new mac that has been about a year overdue is an upgraded video card and everything else to remain the same. I doubt that would be what the majority would call an upgrade.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:08 PM   #133
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
U could go the mini route but what are going to use for a display? If u get rid of ur iMac (assuming u sell it) what are u gonna do for mouse/keyboard. What about audio? Also are u ok with a 25% hit in performance compared to an equivalent iMac? Your display plus inputs plus speakers would put u over $1000 on top of the the mini price. U wouldn't come out very far ahead in my view.
Well I already have quite a nice 24" IPS Sammy monitor gathering dust in my attic which used to be attached to my Windows PC. I also have a number of pretty decent keyboards along with the Logitech Laser which I currently use for my iMac (hate the MM). Audio is covered by using the same 5.1 that I use for the iMac. As for performance, I was reading on the news front page of Mac Rumours only last week that the higher end Mini competes quite favourably with the new mid-range iMac.

For me the base 21.5" has been crippled, the higher model is far to expensive for what it is and the 27" models are way to big and again expensive for my situation.

If by 2014 Apple have come up with something a lot better than the current iMac then of course I may reconsider. However, given the direction they appear to be taking I'm not holding my breath.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:59 PM   #134
Arman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyman View Post
Well I already have quite a nice 24" IPS Sammy monitor gathering dust in my attic which used to be attached to my Windows PC. I also have a number of pretty decent keyboards along with the Logitech Laser which I currently use for my iMac (hate the MM). Audio is covered by using the same 5.1 that I use for the iMac. As for performance, I was reading on the news front page of Mac Rumours only last week that the higher end Mini competes quite favourably with the new mid-range iMac.

For me the base 21.5" has been crippled, the higher model is far to expensive for what it is and the 27" models are way to big and again expensive for my situation.

If by 2014 Apple have come up with something a lot better than the current iMac then of course I may reconsider. However, given the direction they appear to be taking I'm not holding my breath.
Then my friend, stop posting on the iMac forum and get over to the Mac Mini side ASAP.
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:19 PM   #135
themomopan
macrumors newbie

I, for one, am happy that the iMac is thin and light. I own a Red Scarlet and often rent it out, however the camera does not leave my sight as a DIT is required on set. yay for light iMacs for portability!
themomopan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:34 PM   #136
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Then my friend, stop posting on the iMac forum and get over to the Mac Mini side ASAP.
Why would I want to do that when I still own an iMac, or are you saying I should only post if I have gushing praise for the new model? Seems a rather sycophantic way of doing things.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac