Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
People who think G shock watches are cool....

Well let's just say i'm willing to bet that they get laid way less often compared to someone who wears classy watches...

Just saying.

not true... watches have different fashion statements.... if you're out in a casual setting, you might be overdoing it wearing a "classy" watch...

im actually thinking about buying a quality G-Shock watch for casual outings/etc... i could care less about what someone thinks

G-Shock is more of a sporty look.. maybe you dont have that in your repertoire

what matters more is the confidence in the person instead of the price of item that they're wearing.... there are plenty of people who spend alot and dont even look good in it... or overdress for a casual setting...

i saw a person like this on the plane wearing green jeens, grey sweater, blue plaid shirt, and a grey knit tie... needless to say, he looked goofy.... whereas as person with a banana republic dark jean, sweater and high end g-shock would look alot better

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
I stopped using a watch once I became addicted to smart phones.

this... its not a must.. but if you're in a suit or going to a formal date or event, you should probably want a watch..

personally for casual settings, i'd rather buy another shoe/shirt/pant/etc than collect watches..

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Too Right!! Navy Seals Attack Team Delta 6 here!...when we popped Bin Laden peaking out of that lil' doorway all my men wore G-Shocks...

Standard issue for real men, with muscular shoulders and strong firm thighs, smooth chests and great ab definition.

Here I am dressed for work G-Shock on display, look how long and hard my rifle is.

ID protected as per Blackwater protocol.

You have a very nice rifle, sir.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Too Right!! Navy Seals Attack Team Delta 6 here!...when we popped Bin Laden peaking out of that lil' doorway all my men wore G-Shocks...

Standard issue for real men, with muscular shoulders and strong firm thighs, smooth chests and great ab definition.

Here I am dressed for work G-Shock on display, look how long and hard my rifle is.

I can find that image all over the net with Google Image search.

I am a bit skeptical that you were part of "Team 6"

Just sayin, if you were, I doubt you would be using that achievement to brag about a watch on an Apple Rumor site.

Tell me I'm wrong and I will apologise, but if I'm correct (I am like 99% sure I am) Then you should delete this.

Nobody believes you took out Osama Bin Laden dude !

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Nobody believes you took out Osama Bin Laden dude !

It was very obviously a joke. We real Seal Team 6 members do not brag about our overly manly exploits. This was also a joke. :rolleyes:

Also, real men wear watches. Manly man-watches. Like the Casio G-Shock. Much easier to lift my wrist to my eyes to check the time than trying to fumble for that ever so slippery iPhone on the night stand, pressing the button and getting my retinas burnt out by the backlight. Which would be kind of a bummer just as you're about to engage on another manly man adventure with your Seal Team Six bromies.

So many other occasions where wearing a water-proof, shock-resistant, solar-powered, atomic watch is more convenient than a slippery, fragile iPhone. Amphibious landings, the race track, diving, mountain climbing, space jumps, ballroom dancing competitions etc. etc. And that was all just last week.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I can find that image all over the net with Google Image search.

That's the joke ... ;)

Also, real men wear watches. Manly man-watches. Like the Casio G-Shock. Much easier to lift my wrist to my eyes to check the time than trying to fumble for that ever so slippery iPhone on the night stand, pressing the button and getting my retinas burnt out by the backlight. Which would be kind of a bummer just as you're about to engage on another manly man adventure with your Seal Team Six bromies.

So many other occasions where wearing a water-proof, shock-resistant, solar-powered, atomic watch is more convenient than a slippery, fragile iPhone. Amphibious landings, the race track, diving, mountain climbing, space jumps, ballroom dancing competitions etc. etc. And that was all just last week.

Post of the week :D

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
It was very obviously a joke.

Was it disrespectful ?

golden-globes-de-niro.jpg

Lil' bit...

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Dedicating that much space to a Bluetooth power display seems a waste. Should have just made it one big rectangular-ish screen and form the "windows" dynamically, that would be a lot more useful. Almost a good idea, but it seems botched to me.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
To all the watch haters....

If you live in a uh....... Urban area..... It's nice to have a watch on your wrist. I know several people who were mugged/attacked by people asking "what's the time" and when they take their phone out of their pocket the mugger grabs it or hits you etc.

Plus in a lot of situations it is rude to pull out your phone but you may need to know the time. Meetings, church, at a holiday dinner with crazy grandma, etc.

I think watches are classy and timeless. Pun intended. Call me old school but I will always wear a watch.

I'm sure there are many watch haters here that live in an urban area. The difference is the haters also probably live in their parents basement & code for a living. You can't go to a cocktail party or upscale event without at nice looking watch on. It's just adult social convention. A bare left arm is boorish but how would they know that if its outside their realm?

markbarthel

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Everyone needs to stop being so serious...

LOL. Should have known better than to make such a bold statement on a geek forum. Sorry guys. I was just making fun of how ugly those watches truly are... I'm pretty sure that my Bart Simpson Casio from first grade got me more ass!

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Timepieces will always be, well... Timeless.

This watch has its uses but isn't for me.

A nice timepiece can say a lot about the person that's wearing it. Just as there are different clothes for different occasions. So are there watches. Personal preference is Tag-Heuer for dress and Lumi-nox for work or sports. It's hard to beat a Lumi-nox. There reasonably priced for the quality that you get.

To those knocking actually wearing a watch. I feel sorry for you that you have nothing interesting in life going on. I don't always carry my iPhone in my pocket or person. Remember, life only begins out of your comfort zone. For those times, it nive to now what time it is.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
My Cookoo Bluetooth watch should be here this week and it was only $50. If I wasn't getting that I would have jumped on getting this.

Www.cookoowatch.com

None of the current "fan favorite" watches (e.g., pebble, cookoo, or this casio) are perfect.

I backed both pebble and cookoo, and I thought about getting this Casio, but it's pretty expensive for somewhat minimal functionality.

Advantages/disadvantages of each:

• pebble: has an SDK, has a graphical display, somewhat short battery life, no audible alarm. IMO (and others will disagree), the lack of an audible alarm is the biggest problem, followed by the battery life.
  • cookoo: long battery life, has an audible alarm, no graphical display, no automatic time setting, has an SDK. Basically, this is an old-school/manual/analog watch with bluetooth-accessible buttons and blinking lights. Not being able to automatically set the time is, IMO, a near-mortal sin in a "high-tech" watch (before people start saying that you can't do automatic time setting in an analog watch, let me point out that casio has analog atomic watches that do just that). The fixed blinking lights limits you as to what can be done, but the long battery life and audible alarm are pluses.
  • casio: long battery life, has an audible alarm, has automatic time setting, but the functionality is pretty minimal. There also appears to be no SDK, and so what you see appears to be what you get. However, the "watch out-of-range" feature is great (to help prevent you from forgetting your phone). I'd guess that the other watches will eventually implement this feature, if it hasn't already.
Also, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I'm not a fan of huge watches, but some people are.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
If you're going to put notifications on a watch, how about tell the person who is calling instead of saying incoming call. How easy is that to miss, really? You're not giving me a reason to look at my watch before I take out my phone. This is ridiculous.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Why is this front page news...:rolleyes:

It's front page news because smartwatches ARE a significant future trend.
The fact that the current designs kinda suck is sad, but they are still worth watching because they point to the future.

(And they provide a fascinating in-real-time lesson about Apple vs other companies. On the one hand you have those who claim that all Apple does is copy other people. On the other hand you have those who claim that Apple may not be first with a particular piece of kit, but they will be first to do it well.

We have here so farSony and Casio's entrant's in this field, both underwhelming, and Strata and Pebble, both of which when I last saw them didn't excite me enough to actually want to buy one.
[a] Let's see how far these companies all get before Apple releases their entrant in this space...
Let's see how far these companies all get before Samsung releases their entrant in this space...)

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I for one is excited about reading sms and push notifications on the watch. Lets see if I got it right: pebble will not display sms or imessage. Metawatch has monochromic display but will display sms. How about imessage? G-shock will do neither. Any of these (or other watches) will let me read push notifications? Thx!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

In all seriousness, G-shock is pretty close to standard for guys deployed. It's affordable and tough.

I wore G-shock all throughout Iraq and it took all the abuse I could throw at it. In Afghanistan it was about the Casio pathfinder. Now that's a real operator's watch.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
In all seriousness, G-shock is pretty close to standard for guys deployed. It's affordable and tough.

I wore G-shock all throughout Iraq and it took all the abuse I could throw at it. In Afghanistan it was about the Casio pathfinder. Now that's a real operator's watch.

Ok, I just looked it up, and that's the best damned watch ever. The altimeter and barometer might get me to trade in my old solar G-Shock.

Justsayingrelax

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
:::Looks down at the Omega watch on my wrist:::

"Don't worry baby, time will never change how I feel about you"

Nice but some of you people here posting pure nonesense.

In fact while I love my master compressor, speed master and RJ Space Invaders watch I will say this that while im on the job, the G-shock serves it purposes.

The idiots here trying to compare a luxury watch to this are idiots. Sorry for saying it that way.

To the other guy talking about getting laid go talk to my little cousin who has his limited edition eminem Gshock with diamonds on it. That kid gets so much tail I'm starting to get jelouse.

For those curious my wife is manager a store which sells nothing but luxury watches and we attend Bassel world every year. I will say my watch collection is very nice, but that has been through her connections.

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
Ok, I just looked it up, and that's the best damned watch ever. The altimeter and barometer might get me to trade in my old solar G-Shock.

There are G-Shocks that has alti/baro/therometer. The distinguishing feature of the ProTrek/PathFinder is the compass (plus the alti/baro/therometer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.