Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1276
ayzee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
I use iDentify to tag them and add artwork automatically. Works great.
Identify is great because you can just enter the movies imdb code and it automatically finds the data.

I use subler to add subtitles to all the movie and tv shows
ayzee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1277
thegluchow
macrumors newbie

I use a program on the mac called ivi (not sure if it's mentioned in the thread, 52 pages is alot). It converts video and audio to m4v format without having to recode the video if not necessary. Updates the metadata as well all in one shot. Very fast and easy to use.
thegluchow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:57 AM   #1278
linds15
macrumors 6502a

anyone know if its possible to group tv shows together? as in, right now i have friends season 3 and 4, can i combine it so its just friends, and then when i click on friends see all the seasons within that part of itunes. it will get crowded when i add in all the season and more shows.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1279
DP812
macrumors regular

Yes and no.

The way iTunes handles TV shows is it treats each season as its own separate entry. But there is a workaround. If you right-click each season and choose Get Info (or press Command+I), choose the Video tab on the window that pops up and delete the season and episode numbers.

Go back to the info tab and you'll see the album title is Friends, Season ##. Make it so it's just Friends and then treat the Track Number field as episode number and the Disc Number field as season number. So disc 2, track 1 would actually be season 2, episode 1.

You'll have to go through and input this manually for each episode, so it can be a bit time consuming depending on how many episodes and TV shows you have.
DP812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1280
MattieD
macrumors newbie

OK I'm a noob and I have a few questions as I've been wanting to start ripping my library.

1) What is muxing?
2) What external blu-ray drive have you guys had good luck with? Is it usb or firewire?
3) Are you ripping the blu-rays on a mac or pc?
4) About how long does it take you to rip and encode a movie?

With my MBP 2.4 Core 2 Duo it takes like 2 hours or so just to do one movie. I can't imagine how long a blu-ray rip would take. I've been contemplating building a quad core pc to do the heavy processing since I can do that pretty inexpensively well compared to a mac
MattieD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1281
ayzee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by linds15 View Post
anyone know if its possible to group tv shows together? as in, right now i have friends season 3 and 4, can i combine it so its just friends, and then when i click on friends see all the seasons within that part of itunes. it will get crowded when i add in all the season and more shows.
If its season one just number the episodes 101,102,103 etc. season two 201,203,204. And now delete the season numbers, and all your episodes will be in order of season altogether
ayzee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1282
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

im surprised how many aren't as fussed as i am about high quality art work for their media.

Last edited by iOrbit; Nov 25, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
iOrbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:43 AM   #1283
randomdude
macrumors regular

Posters in .mkv

Does anyone know if there is a way to add Poster artwork to .mkv files, so when I am scrolling through my movies in Finder, I can see the posters for each movie.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1284
bushido
macrumors 603

TV Shows

Movies
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:12 PM   #1285
DP812
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to add Poster artwork to .mkv files, so when I am scrolling through my movies in Finder, I can see the posters for each movie.
Have you tried a metadata tag editor, like MetaX or Subler?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1286
randomdude
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP812 View Post
Have you tried a metadata tag editor, like MetaX or Subler?
MetaX doesn't let you use .mkv files, and Subler converts them, doesn't let you use/keep .mkv
Thanks for the help though
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1287
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlivo View Post
I don't use anything really. I get my posters from google and the description from a movie rental website and use doug's scripts to input them. I would use metax but everytime I try and tag a movie it just deletes it. I have lost about 5 movies through metax.
1. What are "doug's scripts"?

2. I use MetaX frequently and have never had that problem. Perhaps re-download the latest version?
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:13 PM   #1288
andymodem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Here is how you do that step-by-step.

Step 1: Starting off with an .mkv on my desktop for the example.

Name:  step 1.jpg
Views: 2018
Size:  8.9 KB

Step 2: Go to Google image search, or wherever you get your poster artwork from, and right click on the image you want and select "Copy".

Click image for larger version

Name:	step 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	380048

Step 3: On your .mkv file, do a "Get Info" command and highlight the icon by clicking on the area shown.

Name:	step 3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	380049

Step 4: Do a Command-V to paste the copied poster into the icon and voila, your .mkv file should now show the poster you want.

Name:	step 4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	380050

Just a large icon view of the .mkv file in a Finder window showing the artwork.

Name:	step 5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	380051
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1289
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymodem View Post
Here is how you do that step-by-step.

Step 1: Starting off with an .mkv on my desktop for the example.

Attachment 380047

Step 2: Go to Google image search, or wherever you get your poster artwork from, and right click on the image you want and select "Copy".

Attachment 380048

Step 3: On your .mkv file, do a "Get Info" command and highlight the icon by clicking on the area shown.

Attachment 380049

Step 4: Do a Command-V to paste the copied poster into the icon and voila, your .mkv file should now show the poster you want.

Attachment 380050

Just a large icon view of the .mkv file in a Finder window showing the artwork.

Attachment 380051
That's just a general way to associate pictures with files in Finder, right? If you ever move these movies somewhere else (not using Finder) then these artworks will never show up, I guess.

Matroska supports embedding of artworks, however, there is basically no program that reads this metadata from the mkv.

Apple's m4v seems to be the only format that allows convenient artwork and subtitle embedding, with support to view it and play it (in OS X at least).

Other common formats as mp4, still has no such widespread support, even if the container itself supports it. The recommended way is still to keep a subtitle as external file, and artwork in as external file, in the same folder as the mp4 is in. I thought there would be an accepted standard by now for movies with cross-wise OS support, but no... it's still a mess.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1290
andymodem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
That's just a general way to associate pictures with files in Finder, right? If you ever move these movies somewhere else (not using Finder) then these artworks will never show up, I guess.

Matroska supports embedding of artworks, however, there is basically no program that reads this metadata from the mkv.

Apple's m4v seems to be the only format that allows convenient artwork and subtitle embedding, with support to view it and play it (in OS X at least).

Other common formats as mp4, still has no such widespread support, even if the container itself supports it. The recommended way is still to keep a subtitle as external file, and artwork in as external file, in the same folder as the mp4 is in. I thought there would be an accepted standard by now for movies with cross-wise OS support, but no... it's still a mess.
I didn't too much testing. But since he stated he browses through the Finder, that process fits the bill. I agree though, still not as good as embedded artwork or an image in the folder if your hardware/software supports that method.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1291
ayzee
macrumors 6502a

New iTunes = No more cover flow!

You will be missed!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:42 AM   #1292
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

Started collapsing TV Show Series into one. Got sick of waiting for Apple to fix the issue on the ATV, so took things into my own hands.
Only current seasons are safe from the reorganisation!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 3.36.38 PM.png
Views:	404
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	381870  
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1293
souvlakii
macrumors newbie

I'm about to start ripping my movie collection, but I had a question about hard-coded subtitles.

Let's say I'm watching a normal movie without subtitles, like the Godfather. And then a scene comes up where they speak italian, so the subtitles show translating to the dialog.

How can I make sure I'm not losing these subs?

Sorry guys, total dvd ripping newb here.
souvlakii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1294
DP812
macrumors regular

There's an option in Handbrake for Foreign Language Search, this scans for those subtitles. But it doesn't always work. My advice is be mindful of the movies you know have these subtitles and play the DVD through your Mac's DVD player and test out the different subtitle options to see which one is right. That's the best way to be sure.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1295
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

we should make a topic to share artworks from our collections!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1296
Zero Cool
macrumors newbie

Props

Wow, you guys are much more organized than me. Putting this on my to do list today!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1297
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvlakii View Post
I'm about to start ripping my movie collection, but I had a question about hard-coded subtitles.

Let's say I'm watching a normal movie without subtitles, like the Godfather. And then a scene comes up where they speak italian, so the subtitles show translating to the dialog.

How can I make sure I'm not losing these subs?

Sorry guys, total dvd ripping newb here.
You might also try using a .SRT file instead of using hard-coded subtitles. If you use .SRT files I highly recommend Subfix. You can easily adjust the timing and never have to worry about finding the .SRT that syncs with your handbrake rip.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1298
jkimbro0316
macrumors regular

All are 1080p HD blu-ray rips. Just got over the 100 mark!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-19 at 11.34.38 AM-1.png
Views:	243
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	405070  
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:38 AM   #1299
newappleboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to newappleboy
Video content in playlists shows incorrectly

Can anyone help give advise on how to uses playlists properly for non-music media in the newest iTunes? I've had a heck of a time trying to get things organized the way I want, and the new views are just awful.

As seen attached I have clipped a section of movies that I have in a playlist; these are files bought in iTunes and not modified in any way. They show up just fine in the dedicated Movies section, but if I place them in a playlist to help keep them organized (in this case I created one to segregate movies purchased in iTunes vs others that I import), it all goes up in smoke.

It sorts by artist, which iTunes populates with director, then uses the album field instead of title to display more information. There's no way to sort by title accurately because even if you choose to sort by title, it does it by album title not movie title. This is ridiculous and seriously cumbersome. Does anyone have any tricks they've found to alleviate this nonsense?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 11.31.11 PM.png
Views:	49
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	405474  
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:40 AM   #1300
DP812
macrumors regular

What I do for movies that are in a series in the playlist is I'll give them each a track number and then sort by that. Unfortunately, this will only work if you use list view. Can't seem to get it to work in grid view.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater