Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:35 AM   #1
ubertome
macrumors newbie

Installing Snow Leopard shouldn't be this frustrating!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum here, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating an old problem but I've spent many hours scouring the web about my problem with no success.

My problem: I want to install a Retail Mac OS X 10.6.3 SL onto a new SSD on my Macbook2,1 (2006) but I just can't get it to install.

I've tried installing from the DVD drive but at around 28 minutes it fails. Since it's old, I figure the DVD drive is faulty; after ripping an image of the disk on another mac with no problems, I can say I'm pretty sure of it.

That being the case, I've also tried installing via USB Flash Drive but I can't for the life of me get it to boot from USB! For that I used both Carbon Copy Cloner and Disk Utility to restore the install disk as a backup. I set it to boot from USB under Startup Disk, and I even blessed it:
Code:
bless -folder /Volume/MyVolume/System/Library/CoreServices -setBoot
but it still refuses to boot.

PRAM has also been reset several times but it didn't seem to help.

My Macbook Specs:
1.83Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2.25GB RAM
8x Combo Drive
60GB 5400RPM SATA ===> OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD

I just don't know what's wrong I really appreciate any help and I hope others with the same issue share what worked/didn't work.

Thanks!

Last edited by ubertome; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
ubertome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:45 AM   #2
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Have SL on a usb and boot it from there? What does it do when you tried?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Jaben3421
macrumors regular

Did you make sure your MacBook can support that type of SATA? I think the new agilites are SATA 3, but your MacBook has SATA 1 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know. Might be wrong. I can't remember if the hard drives have backwards compatibility. My guess, however, is that your MacBook can't support it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
boneskid1
macrumors member

The ssd is not an issue it very well might be your drive but instead of trying to boot from usb , plug the USB into the macbook and go into finder within the USB drive and find the DMG for SL and click on it. It should allow you to install from there if not I apologize for being wrong.
boneskid1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:00 AM   #5
ubertome
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Have SL on a usb and boot it from there? What does it do when you tried?
Thanks for the prompt reply. I put Snow Leopard onto USB and tried to boot it with that, but it's completely ignored at startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaben3421 View Post
Did you make sure your MacBook can support that type of SATA? I think the new agilites are SATA 3, but your MacBook has SATA 1 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know. Might be wrong. I can't remember if the hard drives have backwards compatibility. My guess, however, is that your MacBook can't support it.
From what I've read online, SATA should be backwards-compatible... it'll just be bottlenecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneskid1 View Post
The ssd is not an issue it very well might be your drive but instead of trying to boot from usb , plug the USB into the macbook and go into finder within the USB drive and find the DMG for SL and click on it. It should allow you to install from there if not I apologize for being wrong.
I figure it wouldn't hurt to mention all the facts, just in case. Do you mean the Snow Leopard icon on the installer itself? I tried clicking it to restart my mac with the installer, but that wouldn't work either
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:04 AM   #6
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

If you have a 2nd Mac with a known good optical drive, put the SL DVD into it and reboot this computer in target disk mode(press and hold "T" before it chimes).

Use a firewire cable to connect your MacBook to the other computer and boot the MacBook while holding down the option key.

I've done this in the past and the disk in the other computer shows up on the connected computer as if it were connected to an external optical drive. It may not still work this way, but it's worth a shot.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

You didn't say if the USB you were referring to was a hard drive or a flash drive, I don't know about if this applies to flash drives or not but some external hard drives (both Firewire and USB) are not bootable.

When trying to install from the DVD did you try running Disk Utility on the SSD to see if it checks out as okay?

When trying to install from the DVD did you try formatting the SSD (Mac OS Extended Journaled w/GUID Partition Table) with Disk Utility before installing the OS?

Lastly, it's always possible that the OS X 10.6.3 disc is defective.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertome View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. I put Snow Leopard onto USB and tried to boot it with that, but it's completely ignored at startup.
Make sure that your USB drive is partitioned as GUID and formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled, then restore the DVD to it.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:36 AM   #9
ubertome
macrumors newbie

I'm using a Kingston USB Thumbdrive and yes, I have formatted it with GUID partition table and Mac OS Extended Journaled. As far as I can tell, the SSD and disc are in good working order as well.

I haven't tried booting with another mac, but I'll give that a shot.

@DewGuy1999 That's definitely possible, apparently it's happened before too: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=993178

Anyway I'll try both methods and post my results here soon.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:56 PM   #10
minifridge1138
macrumors 6502a

How are you selecting the USB drive when you want to start off of it?

Are you holding the 'option' key at startup?
minifridge1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:23 AM   #11
ubertome
macrumors newbie

Yes, I tried starting up holding the ALT/Option key but the usb drive never shows up there. Holding 'C' doesn't work either.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:35 AM   #12
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes, I tried starting up holding the ALT/Option key but the usb drive never shows up there. Holding 'C' doesn't work either.
Have you tried the target disk mode I mentioned above?
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:53 AM   #13
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Once the internal drive shows up, remove then reinsert the USB drive and see if it shows up.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:52 AM   #14
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Like I said earlier the drive may not be bootable by a Mac, maybe you could try installing from the DVD again?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:13 AM   #15
ubertome
macrumors newbie

Great success!!

I got it to work!

So I went out and bought an HDD docking station and formatted an old SATA1 drive lying around with GUID partition table, OS X extended journaled, etc. and lo and behold, it finally boots from USB.

Everything else was smooth sailing

I'm convinced that USB booting on this macbook needs to be from some powered USB device like an external drive, which is weird because the USB ports read about about 5V the moment I boot, according to my multimeter.

Anyway thank you guys for your help, hopefully this thread saves someone else a lot of frustration.

Last edited by ubertome; Dec 7, 2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: adding emphasis
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:39 AM   #16
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'm convinced that USB booting on this macbook needs to be from some powered USB device like an external drive.
That shouldn't be the case, unless something is broken on the computer. I have seen some USB thumb drives which are more than a little erratic, though.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook