Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for a nice and unbiased review! A few thought:

As for osx it is nicely laid out yet pretty confusing to learn. Files seem to go into the abyss and I can't find a lot of files.

Actually, great file management is one of that things that keep me hooked on OS X. The Spotlight is excellent (Windows 8 in my experience had some problems with finding files based on the content). Add to it the Automator, folder action, and you get a ridiculously powerful system. Also, I love the bundle approach of OS X, this makes installing/managing software much easier than I ever experienced with Windows or Linux. And I am not even starting on the fact that OS X is a 100% certified Unix system, with all power that comes with it...

I hate how pictures get saved to iPhoto I don't want my pictures there it is a weak program that offers nothing good for editing.

I agree, this is annoying. I don't do anything with pictures, so I can't recommend you a way out, but I am sure that there is an easy way to avoid iPhoto operating automatically (for instance, you could just delete it).

Computer started out blazing fast but now has become much slower.

This is weird - I never experienced slowdowns over time with OS X on any Mac I owned. Did it happen gradually or more or less instantly?

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Thanks for a nice and unbiased review! A few thought:

Actually, great file management is one of that things that keep me hooked on OS X. The Spotlight is excellent (Windows 8 in my experience had some problems with finding files based on the content). Add to it the Automator, folder action, and you get a ridiculously powerful system. Also, I love the bundle approach of OS X, this makes installing/managing software much easier than I ever experienced with Windows or Linux. And I am not even starting on the fact that OS X is a 100% certified Unix system, with all power that comes with it...

I agree, this is annoying. I don't do anything with pictures, so I can't recommend you a way out, but I am sure that there is an easy way to avoid iPhoto operating automatically (for instance, you could just delete it).

This is weird - I never experienced slowdowns over time with OS X on any Mac I owned. Did it happen gradually or more or less instantly?

The slow down was gradually it gets painfully slow in final cut. I know it is a big program but started out fast now it is beach ball city, haven't added any new videos either haven't filmed in awhile. So not sure on this half tempted to restore entire system and start over and give up on using it to edit. It is faster editing on my iPad which sucks cause iMovie is pretty basic will miss the options final cut has but it seems like this comp can't handle editing without freezing and crashing

So might be out $300 for final cut x since iMac can't handle editing on it. I do a lot of hd videos anywhere from 5 min videos to full 1 hour edits

Don't wanna get way off subject anyone else out their make the switch? What did you think???

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac and it seems like its going to be really complicated at first even doing simple tasks.

I got a question about mac....I notice you never really see folders on the desktop. Is it even possible to create something like a shortcut to a specific folder/directory? Are shortcuts placed on the bottom dock thing?

I ask this because I want to manage my own music via iTunes and want to be able to get to this directory easily after ripping an album.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
It's strange how people have such various experiences with Mac.

Personally I've become a fanboy ever since I started using a mac 4-5 years ago.
I've worked on PC my whole career (20yrs) and every day I sit down on my pc daily it reminds me how much better the mac is.

I have an early 2009 imac with 8gb ram 3.06 ghz. I've done heavy tasks on it and it still moves as fast today as it did when I got it. The only reason why I buy a 2012 imac now is that technology has improved and I will get an even better experience.

For me the osx is 10x nicer to be in than windows. There's no file clutter - I don't understand how you organize files if you feel they are lost ?!?. I have my folders and therefor it will be easy to move to my new computer. I'm glad its more difficult to store files at the root of the HDD etc... I don't use iPhoto, I agree its a crappy hog. I dont use itunes either. But I never had a problem that all my stuff go in there either, seems you haven't really learned OSX properly. Yes maybe it takes some time getting used to, but it's in no way more complex than understanding windows....I think you might just be stuck in Windows mode in your head and have problems adapting.

the keyboard for me is perfect. It looks great and its the best keyboard I can think of to write on. If you need the numpad you can get that too.

The Magic Mouse I stay away from though, its just a unusable but pretty device.

I don't understand what you do to make OSX slower and slower, my machine has never been reinstalled and I've installed and uninstalled numerous programs. My windows computer on the other hand, which is a newer machine, all ready screams for a reinstall and every time I reboot it I can go take a long break.

----------

I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac and it seems like its going to be really complicated at first even doing simple tasks.

I got a question about mac....I notice you never really see folders on the desktop. Is it even possible to create something like a shortcut to a specific folder/directory? Are shortcuts placed on the bottom dock thing?

I ask this because I want to manage my own music via iTunes and want to be able to get to this directory easily after ripping an album.

I don't understand what the threadstarter is talking about about folder and files. you can make folders the same way as windows. you can move files copy files and make shortcuts of folders the same way as windows. And of course your whole video/music/pictures folder is accessible through finder the same way it is through explorer in windows. And sure you can do whatever you like. The only folder that is not visible initially, is the operating system folder and the system libraries, which is good for most users. and if you need to access them, its really no problem doing so, you just need to unhide it.....windows should have done the same thing IMO so inexperienced PC users dont screw up their OS

the only reason why you see less folders on a OSX desktop is that MAC people like less clutter. Its by all means without any restraints in this area.
Mac4Lin%20Documentation_html_m2ad3b0cf.jpg

Last edited:

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Dude. There are tons of tutorials all over the internet to help people who've just switched to the Mac. Stop trying to do things the way you used to do them on windows. For god's sake man, open your mind, do some reading, and believe me, you'll be yelling "ahaaaaaa!" in no time. Don't try tweaking the system with utilities and crapware. You're not on windblows anymore. Give it a chance, and it will grow on you. But if you continue thrashing about it instead of learning how things are done on osx, you're never gonna use that machine up to its full potential. You'll end up with a 2000$ windcrap machine.
I've seen tons of people buying expensive macs and then installing windblows and totally removing any trace of osx on them under various reasons. I personally call these kind of people dumbphucks or sheetbrains :p
I don't want to offend you in any way. Far from that. I just want to point out that once you get rid of all the "bad karma" let's call it, that you brought from a lifetime of using windblows, you'll be amazed at how this darn operating system that we adore, can ease your life. Once again, it's just my sincere opinion.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The slow down was gradually it gets painfully slow in final cut. I know it is a big program but started out fast now it is beach ball city, haven't added any new videos either haven't filmed in awhile. So not sure on this half tempted to restore entire system and start over and give up on using it to edit. It is faster editing on my iPad which sucks cause iMovie is pretty basic will miss the options final cut has but it seems like this comp can't handle editing without freezing and crashing

Ah, it sounds like a bug/memory leak in Final Cut. Alas, I don't edit videos, so I can't offer you an alternative.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I have no idea why it is slowing down so bad. Last night I was in the middle of a video project after the 2nd crash on final cut I gave up. Transferred the videos to my iPad went with a basic edit in iMovie instead was done in under 15 mins. Was on the iMac for over a hour with beach balls and crashes. Seems to only work for surfing the web and checking email. Thought with the big CPU it would fly in editing yet my iPad is faster

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I have no idea why it is slowing down so bad. Last night I was in the middle of a video project after the 2nd crash on final cut I gave up. Transferred the videos to my iPad went with a basic edit in iMovie instead was done in under 15 mins. Was on the iMac for over a hour with beach balls and crashes. Seems to only work for surfing the web and checking email. Thought with the big CPU it would fly in editing yet my iPad is faster

wow, you must have a really unlucky machine or you seriously screwed up something.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Dude. There are tons of tutorials all over the internet to help people who've just switched to the Mac. Stop trying to do things the way you used to do them on windows. For god's sake man, open your mind, do some reading, and believe me, you'll be yelling "ahaaaaaa!" in no time. Don't try tweaking the system with utilities and crapware. You're not on windblows anymore. Give it a chance, and it will grow on you. But if you continue thrashing about it instead of learning how things are done on osx, you're never gonna use that machine up to its full potential. You'll end up with a 2000$ windcrap machine.
I've seen tons of people buying expensive macs and then installing windblows and totally removing any trace of osx on them under various reasons. I personally call these kind of people dumbphucks or sheetbrains :p
I don't want to offend you in any way. Far from that. I just want to point out that once you get rid of all the "bad karma" let's call it, that you brought from a lifetime of using windblows, you'll be amazed at how this darn operating system that we adore, can ease your life. Once again, it's just my sincere opinion.

Easy buddy I haven't tweaked anything. I have officially turned it on, added my photos, added my videos installed final cut and set up on email. Unless you consider that tweaking it

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

this is exactly how I feel too. Most people I know which dislike the MAC are people to used to Windblows and installs all kinds of small crapware thinking you can't do it with the native OS or alltogether removes OSX only to use windows.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012

This is probably the mentality you should get rid of (no offense). It is exactly the reason why switchers struggle with OS X.

The approach of OS X is that you shouldn't be managing files at all, to be more precise, for managing various files/documents you use the application.

The Windows approach is to use Explorer/Total Commander (powerful tool!) to navigate via folder structure to your document. OS X has different approach - you first launch the application that is used for certain purpose (iTunes - music, Mail- email, iPhoto - photos) which handles the creation and sorting of files automatically, hidden from user.

For me, it is logical way of doing things. I know that Windows user, especially power users or long-time users have problem adapting to this workflow. Of course you can use OS X like you use Win but you'll struggle and eventually call the system simple and useless.

Most of the applications that sort and organize the files are pretty clever, since it's a full blown OS you as a user have access to the files via Finder. The files are usually in some folder somewhere (you see that I don't care where it is really?). To answer your question: iTunes handles the files itself and the default configurations is that music is stored in iTunes media folder, where it is sorted in structure according to Artist (folder) - Album (subfolder). You have access to these folders but for modifying the files (tagging, copying, renaming) you should always use iTunes.
There are advanced options where you can set a different location for your music library and you can turn off automatic copying (the default behaviour is that you drag your files to iTunes from any location and they get copied to default folder, original files will stay where they are and you should delete them).

It is different approach. Apple wants you to forget about files and folders, just like in iOS. This approach has been developing for years. As long as they keep Terminal and Finder in OS X, I think there's nothing to worry about. The transition will be gradual.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
If there's an Apple store near you, it might be worth asking about some of their conversion type courses. if you're ringing AppleCare enough times to be able to say '1 in 10 calls', then I think you maybe need some grounding in the basic differences between the two systems.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Kinda tough to adapt when the company who makes the software hires tech support workers who can't do simple tasks. Then you hear people tell you to search the web ya that totally made my AppleCare purchase worth it. If the company can't help new users it makes for a hard transition I'm trying to be honest not start a war.

----------

If there's an Apple store near you, it might be worth asking about some of their conversion type courses. if you're ringing AppleCare enough times to be able to say '1 in 10 calls', then I think you maybe need some grounding in the basic differences between the two systems.

Oh ya that apple store that told me not to ship my iMac to them because they get so many packages it would get misplaced and lost. Only to find out later the worker who said that was full of bs. Also same store where none of the employees could explain the difference between the Mac Pro Xeon and the iMac i7, was debating which route I should go iMac or Mac Pro. No worker knew the difference. Ya dont think I will be going there for tech help

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Oh common, more bashing, the machine you have is very much capable to much more than what you say here, it can handle FinalCutPro handily, heck, even a mini can do it and is less powerful.

If it is slow and Apps crash somethings amiss and you should start by asking how to fix it instead of just ranting on.

There are plenty of people which can help you here, I start.

Install a clean system on a USB memory stick for instance, start up from there, is it much faster, does FCP crash.
What about logging into a different User Account, if you don't have one create one and run the software there, most of the time it will solve things, and if this is the case the normal User Account can be fixed.

Edit: Do you have any stupid virus scanner on it, if yes delete the crap.

Edit Again:
was debating which route I should go iMac or Mac Pro. No worker knew the difference.

We really have to believe this????

Last edited:

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Oh common, more bashing, the machine you have is very much capable to much more than what you say here, it can handle FinalCutPro handily, heck, even a mini can do it and is less powerful.

If it is slow and Apps crash somethings amiss and you should start by asking how to fix it instead of just ranting on.

There are plenty of people which can help you here, I start.

Install a clean system on a USB memory stick for instance, start up from there, is it much faster, does FCP crash.
What about logging into a different User Account, if you don't have one create one and run the software there, most of the time it will solve things, and if this is the case the normal User Account can be fixed.

Sorry not trying to bash. I did say I was considering a fresh install in a post so basically you read my mind. Just saying for a computer that was new 2 months ago to me is having problems

And no virus scanner it is all stock aside from adding final cut and my videos pics and music. Which btw was a adventure adding my music that wasn't bought through iTunes

Doesn't matter if you beleave it or not it happened. Would you like me to film going into my apple store and asking again? Obviously seems to me no one here beleaves apple employees are not very knowledgable. Could make for a YouTube hit, maybe call AppleCare again and record it I think you would be surprised how little they do know

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sorry not trying to bash. I did say I was considering a fresh install in a post so basically you read my mind. Just saying for a computer that was new 2 months ago to me is having problems

And no virus scanner it is all stock aside from adding final cut and my videos pics and music. Which btw was a adventure adding my music that wasn't bought through iTunes

Drag and drop.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
You beat me to it. I smell a troll...
I'm not a troll what a guy can't give his honest view of his iMac. Sorry if I have issues with it, yes hopefully it will get easier. But sorry just stating the facts on my apple use this far. Sorry it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine like yours was

----------

Not if you don't have permission.
Exactly I had to figure that out. Apple would not show me how either which I understand why since it isn't their music just saying it was a adventure

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
This is probably the mentality you should get rid of (no offense). It is exactly the reason why switchers struggle with OS X.

The approach of OS X is that you shouldn't be managing files at all, to be more precise, for managing various files/documents you use the application.

The Windows approach is to use Explorer/Total Commander (powerful tool!) to navigate via folder structure to your document. OS X has different approach - you first launch the application that is used for certain purpose (iTunes - music, Mail- email, iPhoto - photos) which handles the creation and sorting of files automatically, hidden from user.

For me, it is logical way of doing things. I know that Windows user, especially power users or long-time users have problem adapting to this workflow. Of course you can use OS X like you use Win but you'll struggle and eventually call the system simple and useless.

Most of the applications that sort and organize the files are pretty clever, since it's a full blown OS you as a user have access to the files via Finder. The files are usually in some folder somewhere (you see that I don't care where it is really?). To answer your question: iTunes handles the files itself and the default configurations is that music is stored in iTunes media folder, where it is sorted in structure according to Artist (folder) - Album (subfolder). You have access to these folders but for modifying the files (tagging, copying, renaming) you should always use iTunes.
There are advanced options where you can set a different location for your music library and you can turn off automatic copying (the default behaviour is that you drag your files to iTunes from any location and they get copied to default folder, original files will stay where they are and you should delete them).

It is different approach. Apple wants you to forget about files and folders, just like in iOS. This approach has been developing for years. As long as they keep Terminal and Finder in OS X, I think there's nothing to worry about. The transition will be gradual.
No, this has nothing to do with a certain mentality Mac or PC it's about my music. There is no way in hell I'd let iTunes tag and handle my music for me. It would be a freaking mess, it lists compilations on certain albums that shouldn't be, lists an artists album by the artists of someone featured on it. I don't listen to a lot of mainstream music and most of my iTunes content is my own not bought through their store. I love iTunes as a player but when it's organized to my liking, I mostly listen to my own stuff rare cd's, tape rips, vinyl rips etc so that's why I do everything on my own.

Now what I wanted to know was just if I can easily get to this music directory...which after looking at some YouTube videos and like was mentioned here it seems simple no need for shortcuts. You just use Finder and then "Music" is probably where it should go.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011

So might be out $300 for final cut x since iMac can't handle editing on it. I do a lot of hd videos anywhere from 5 min videos to full 1 hour edits

Don't wanna get way off subject anyone else out their make the switch? What did you think???

Sorry man, but you are probably so hooked in windows world that you are unable to switch:D
I have done so 4 years ago - it took me 2 weeks to get used to mac os x way of work - now, I cant understand how could I live with windows:D As for files and abbyss - it looks like you are stuck with total commander way of life - if you realy want to control every file and every directory, you made really wrong step buying mac...
And last thing, I do not believe that simple questions you posted here have to be answered by apple support. If you are not able to find answers online, something is wrong:D (but still, if apple staff does not know answers for such simple problems, it is a shame:)

Last last thing - there must be something wrong either with your SW or HW - 4 years with mac - no performance slowdown, no crashes (only few safari ones), no system crash (except one caused by failed memory module)...

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
No, this has nothing to do with a certain mentality Mac or PC it's about my music. There is no way in hell I'd let iTunes tag and handle my music for me. It would be a freaking mess, it lists compilations on certain albums that shouldn't be, lists an artists album by the artists of someone featured on it. I don't listen to a lot of mainstream music and most of my iTunes content is my own not bought through their store. I love iTunes as a player but when it's organized to my liking, I mostly listen to my own stuff rare cd's, tape rips, vinyl rips etc so that's why I do everything on my own.

Now what I wanted to know was just if I can easily get to this music directory...which after looking at some YouTube videos and like was mentioned here it seems simple no need for shortcuts. You just use Finder and then "Music" is probably where it should go.

Again, windows thinking... get rid of it or struggle or get back to win, there is no other way than these 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.