Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:11 AM   #1
armitage shanks
macrumors newbie

iPad Mini performance as a gaming device

Morning all,

Have a iPad Mini 16GB 4G on its way tomorrow. I know its based on iPad 2 hardware so how will it perform with the latest games such as GTA:Vice City and FIFA 13? Will be most dissapointed if there is a lot of slowdown etc...

Any experiences?
armitage shanks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Menel
macrumors 601

Exactly the same as an iPad 2.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:44 AM   #3
armitage shanks
macrumors newbie

Which in turn will be good enough for Vice City?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:46 AM   #4
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

i was playing FIFA 13 on my way to work this morning.

It felt like it could be a little smoother but it was playable.

i have nothing to compare it to right though, no iphone and no retina ipad
THFourteen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage shanks View Post
Which in turn will be good enough for Vice City?
Maybe... expect some stutter though. Or they might have removed some visual effects to keep the FPS high and steady.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:50 AM   #6
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBDepyBT1p4
THFourteen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:16 AM   #7
armitage shanks
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THFourteen View Post
Well thats cleared up any worries! Looks excellent.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:24 AM   #8
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
lol that is a man dedicated
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:44 AM   #9
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

it wasn't me!

i just googled the video!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:43 PM   #10
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Ipad mini as gaming device.

Ummm.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:39 PM   #11
D1G1T4L
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Ipad mini as gaming device.

Ummm.
Ummmm?

Are you saying it's not?
D1G1T4L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:49 PM   #12
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G1T4L View Post
Ummmm?

Are you saying it's not?

I think ipad mini could be a good device but for gaming i'd prefer Ipod touch. Its portable, beautiful retina screen, similar price it has double the storage. I just think Tablet should be used mainly as substitute to your PCs. Surfing, video, light gaming and those are all better on original Ipad size.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Have been playing Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II on mine. LOVE IT. No lag whatsoever.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:26 PM   #14
w00t951
macrumors 68000

You won't see much of a difference other than in load times on 2D and simple 3D games, but it'll stutter with more intensive games. They might disable certain visual effects, or they might go with the lower framerate.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:49 AM   #15
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I think ipad mini could be a good device but for gaming i'd prefer Ipod touch. Its portable, beautiful retina screen, similar price it has double the storage. I just think Tablet should be used mainly as substitute to your PCs. Surfing, video, light gaming and those are all better on original Ipad size.
for me the ipad mini is perfect for gaming, its light and the screen is bigger and more immersive, and you dont obscure the whole screen with your thumbs like with a phone or ipod touch.

You can also play ipad only games like baldurs gate, and play point and click adventures without repeatedly clicking on the wrong part of the screen because its too small.

ipod touch should be used mainly as a substitute to your mp3 player, or if you can't afford a smartphone
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:14 AM   #16
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
for me the ipad mini is perfect for gaming, its light and the screen is bigger and more immersive, and you dont obscure the whole screen with your thumbs like with a phone or ipod touch.

You can also play ipad only games like baldurs gate, and play point and click adventures without repeatedly clicking on the wrong part of the screen because its too small.

ipod touch should be used mainly as a substitute to your mp3 player, or if you can't afford a smartphone
Ios games is still far from competing with real console like psp or psvita even wii u. Experience are different when you can only control by touch system. If you prefer kids game then it should be okay but for $329, little steep.

Ipod touch is way more than substitute for mp3 player, my friend. Mp3 players do not price themselves at $299 for start even older version at $199 is same price as Android tablet. There are more than many well-selected smart phone at that price point.

Dont get me wrong, i like my Ipad but i would never consider any tablet as a dedicated gaming device. Its rediculous.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:41 AM   #17
nfl46
macrumors 601

Sorry, but this isn't an Low-End Android device. Gaming is fine on it.
nfl46 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:46 AM   #18
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

I've been playing games like GTA3, FIFA 13, Dead Trigger, Rage HD, ShadowGun, Bladeslinger, MetalStorm, etc. perfectly fine. No hiccups, no lag, nothing. iPad mini works wonderfully as a gaming device.

I'm going to download the new Modern Combat game tomorrow and see it how it runs.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:01 AM   #19
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ios games is still far from competing with real console like psp or psvita even wii u. Experience are different when you can only control by touch system. If you prefer kids game then it should be okay but for $329, little steep.

Ipod touch is way more than substitute for mp3 player, my friend. Mp3 players do not price themselves at $299 for start even older version at $199 is same price as Android tablet. There are more than many well-selected smart phone at that price point.

Dont get me wrong, i like my Ipad but i would never consider any tablet as a dedicated gaming device. Its rediculous.
Ah i see, no i agree with you in that case, it is not a replacement for a 3DS or a Vita at all.

What i was saying was that out of the 3, full size ipad, mini ipad or ipod touch, ipad mini provides the best gaming experience IMO.

Having said that, i bought a Vita when it first came out, loved the console but was dissapointed in the quality of the games, and sold it. Also i found that the device was too limited, if i was taking a bag i'll take my gaming notebook or ipad and leave it at home anyway
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:42 AM   #20
yegon
macrumors 68000

The attraction of the mini as a gaming device is that I'll always have it with me. I rarely took my iPad 3 anywhere, and with the very rare exception I'm never going to sit down at home playing iPad games when I've got access to consoles & pc's.

Plus, I find the mini the perfect size for touchscreen gaming. Much better than an iPod/iPhone imo, plus I never have to worry about battery life, main reason I gave up on phone gaming ages ago.

Vita, which I own, trounces it in a lot of ways in pure gaming terms - I honestly don't know how people stomach GTA & racing games on a touchscreen - but I can rarely be arsed taking it out with me when the mini offers a tonne more functionality.
yegon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:20 PM   #21
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
I used to think that. And it's a solid theory. But so far I've found one iPhone game and one iPad game that won't work on the Mini.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:06 PM   #22
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Wrong. Vice City crashes and lags on an iPad 2 but does not on my iPad Mini.

Games are fantastic on the Mini, GTA VC is very smooth, Graphic intensive games work perfectly fine. It's absolutely great from simple puzzle games to games like the newest Shadowgun.

I play more games on my iPad Mini than on my full sized iPad!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
You won't see much of a difference other than in load times on 2D and simple 3D games, but it'll stutter with more intensive games. They might disable certain visual effects, or they might go with the lower framerate.
Actually own one?

----------

Quote:
I feel the opposite. The iPod touch 5G is way too small for my needs. I would use it for music but I gotta have a much a bigger screen for apps and gaming.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
I used to think that. And it's a solid theory. But so far I've found one iPhone game and one iPad game that won't work on the Mini.
Which ones are they? I would like to test them on my Mini
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:10 PM   #23
Durious
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
What ones?
IPad Mini:64Gb w\cellular
Durious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:37 PM   #24
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAN19 View Post
I've been playing games like GTA3, FIFA 13, Dead Trigger, Rage HD, ShadowGun, Bladeslinger, MetalStorm, etc. perfectly fine. No hiccups, no lag, nothing. iPad mini works wonderfully as a gaming device.

I'm going to download the new Modern Combat game tomorrow and see it how it runs.
I played on it and while it was playable and very easy to play on the mini (light weight), I turned on my iPad 4 and the game SCREAMS. I love my mini so much but the 4 definitely is the superior one for high end games. I think the ultimate iPad is coming next year in the form of an all new 5 at under 1 lb.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:54 PM   #25
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
Which ones are they? I would like to test them on my Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durious View Post
What ones?
The iPhone app is Blockade by One Day Beard, and the iPad app (actually, universal app) is Cat Physics by Donut Games.

Blockade has graphics corruption and Cat Physics just locks up.

I hope you guys try these; I will be curious to see if it's "just me" or others as well. On the other hand, I don't expect you to spend money on something I don't think will work on your iPad Minis!
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad