Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:17 PM   #76
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Interesting...So you think what I said infers that homosexual relationships should be off-limits? I'd say your a little touchy on the subject.
Perhaps touchy, and perhaps a realist.

There are many polls and studies that show that people who "know a homosexual" are more likely to be open to full civil rights for people who are attracted to the same sex.

If Tim were to make a public statement by saying that he's gay, it could help influence some of the Apple fans to join the "Gay - it's OK" camp.

If everyone treats it as a "dirty secret" - not so much.

If, on the other hand, we politely say who we are, it can help more people realize that they "know a homosexual".

For example, at lunch at work the discussion may be about the end-of-year holidays. Someone asks (noticing my platinum/gold/titanium wedding ring) "what are you and your wife doing"?

I say "my husband and I are going to Heavenly for the week".

Some people call it "an agenda" - I think it's just asking to be treated like every other American.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:24 AM   #77
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Perhaps touchy, and perhaps a realist.

There are many polls and studies that show that people who "know a homosexual" are more likely to be open to full civil rights for people who are attracted to the same sex.

If Tim were to make a public statement by saying that he's gay, it could help influence some of the Apple fans to join the "Gay - it's OK" camp.

If everyone treats it as a "dirty secret" - not so much.

If, on the other hand, we politely say who we are, it can help more people realize that they "know a homosexual".

For example, at lunch at work the discussion may be about the end-of-year holidays. Someone asks (noticing my platinum/gold/titanium wedding ring) "what are you and your wife doing"?

I say "my husband and I are going to Heavenly for the week".

Some people call it "an agenda" - I think it's just asking to be treated like every other American.
There's a difference between secret and private.

It sounds to me you want Tim Cook to martyr himself for the cause, when he has shown no desire to do so. Let the people who want to be activists be activists, and don't force people into it if they would rather define themselves with other aspects of their lives. At least from what Tim Cook has said about himself publicly, being the CEO of Apple is more important to him than what kind of sex he enjoys. Why can't he define himself how he wants to?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:47 AM   #78
Morriss
macrumors member

Apple CEO Tim Cook announces plans to manufacture Mac computers in USA

http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/...rs-in-usa?lite
Morriss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:36 PM   #79
840quadra

They showed a pre-interview and previews on CNBC. Some of the commentators were completely wrong in their assessments, one of the reasons I have problems with CNBC, NBC, and other media "experts".

1) One indicated that Apple or no PC manufacturer made computers in the US before. . I have old IBM XT, and original Macintosh computers to nullify that argument (not my system just a snap from the web).
Thumb resize.

2) One stated that Jobs never had shakeups in upper management. What about July 1997 when Amillio was ousted, and Jobs replaced much of the existing upper management with his favorites from NeXT.

I could go on, but It will be nice to finally hear from Cook's own mouth, some of what is going on within the company.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:43 PM   #80
henryhbk
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to henryhbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrizzleFryBen View Post
I gave up trying to watch the video about 1:20 into the commercial of Gonzo trying to sell me Abilify. WTF NBC?!?
What's really annoying about that, is that we aren't watching the actual show, but rather an ad for the show, and we have to watch ads to see NBC's ad!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
You'd think they'd notice the camera crew, lights, etc...
There is always someone at Grand Central Station with lights/camera. Generally just screwed up the commute for those of us taking the commuter rail... So nothing really new there.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:58 PM   #81
840quadra

Moderator Note

Posts regarding Mr Cook's Personal life outside of the context of this thread, must take place in their own threads within appropriate sections of our forums.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:40 PM   #82
Futurix
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
being the CEO of Apple is more important to him than what kind of sex he enjoys. Why can't he define himself how he wants to?
But it's you who defines him this way. I don't want to repeat myself again and again - so read post #72, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 840quadra View Post
media "experts"
It's a general trend on every topic unfortunately.
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:45 PM   #83
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Anyone watch this tonight? I thought it was pretty good. I was hoping for some deeper insight, but it was worth watching.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:03 PM   #84
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

I checked it out and thought it was a good interview. Cook really seems like a nice guy.

Interview was a shade fat though, could have been thinner.
Sacird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:13 PM   #85
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacird View Post
I checked it out and thought it was a good interview. Cook really seems like a nice guy.

Interview was a shade fat though, could have been thinner.
He seems to be on top of things and in tune with customer satisfaction and the image of the company. It is nice that they will be doing a little more manufacturing in the US.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:45 PM   #86
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Anyone watch this tonight? I thought it was pretty good. I was hoping for some deeper insight, but it was worth watching.
I was surprised that they ran so much of that Samsung commercial mocking people standing in line. It was like free advertising for his competition.
kdarling is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:08 PM   #87
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
I was surprised that they ran so much of that Samsung commercial mocking people standing in line. It was like free advertising for his competition.
i agree. when they cut to it it played for so long i forgot whether the show was still on or if it was a commercial break. awkwardly long cut.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:47 PM   #88
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
That was weird to me as well, I was like "umm, the whole commercial??? Really?!"

On the bright side I find that commercial comedic gold. The touching phones for a playlist is so stupid. And the two lines that are worse than Hulk Hogan acting:

Blonde: "What did you guys just do!!!!!" it's like stop screaming b***h.

two guys: "See you at the chudio." English much?? LMFAO

I like the GS3 and think it's an awesome phone. Just find that commercial funny and can picture Samsung and Apple high five-ing over all the publicity they both get.
Sacird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:28 AM   #89
ixodes
macrumors 601

Well I watched it.

I thought that Larry King was soft, but Brian Williams patronizing dialog was nauseating.

Not that I expected a hard hitting interview. What a stooge Williams was, he played the part to perfection. Choosing just the right words to setup Tim Cook for success.

Brian William's walking across showroom floor with Tim: "big boss coming through folks, big boss coming through". What a suck up.

I had hoped to see an interesting interview, not this drivel. Proving once again how Apple has big entertainment in their pocket.

One giant puff piece, designed to polish the Apple. BLEH!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:30 AM   #90
sdsvtdriver
macrumors 6502a

Thanks NBC for inviting everyone on the west coast to a live chat 2hrs after it started.
sdsvtdriver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:35 PM   #91
micawoli
macrumors member

App used by NBC staff person

hey can anyone tell me the app/software program that is on the computer of the nbc staff person during the interview Part 1 5:53. It looks like a dashboard with a bunch of twitter accounts on it. Would be interested in having something like that for my computer.

Thanks!
micawoli is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion