Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:52 AM   #1
ramy1989
macrumors newbie

Problems understanding ARC and zombies

I started learning Cocoa when there still was the manual counting, but after few time I got the new OS update and ARC was available.
I know how to user retain-release if I don't use ARC, but the problem comes with ARC enabled.I always used strong references and everything was fine, never had leaks nor dangling pointers.
But I want to understand better how it works.

Now I am running a project for debugging, with zombies enabled.I tried do do this:
Code:
    __unsafe_unretained NSString* str;
    @autoreleasepool
    {
        str= @"Hello";
    }
    NSLog(@"%@",str);
I would except that str is zombie because @"Hello" should be autoreleased, and I print it outside the pool.But instead it just prints "Hello" and all goes fine.Why?

Also a tip, should I start making some projects with manual counting to understand how ARC works?
ramy1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramy1989 View Post
I started learning Cocoa when there still was the manual counting, but after few time I got the new OS update and ARC was available.
I know how to user retain-release if I don't use ARC, but the problem comes with ARC enabled.I always used strong references and everything was fine, never had leaks nor dangling pointers.
But I want to understand better how it works.

Now I am running a project for debugging, with zombies enabled.I tried do do this:
Code:
    __unsafe_unretained NSString* str;
    @autoreleasepool
    {
        str= @"Hello";
    }
    NSLog(@"%@",str);
I would except that str is zombie because @"Hello" should be autoreleased, and I print it outside the pool.But instead it just prints "Hello" and all goes fine.Why?

Also a tip, should I start making some projects with manual counting to understand how ARC works?
Strings like @"Hello" are _never_ released and have never been released. Before ARC, their retain count returned some meaningless value, and retain / release / autorelease never had any effect on them.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Madd the Sane
macrumors 6502

To get what you're looking for, use
Code:
str = [NSString stringWithString:@"Hello"]

I think NSString has a stringWithString method, but I can't verify it right now.
Madd the Sane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:49 AM   #4
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd the Sane View Post
To get what you're looking for, use
Code:
str = [NSString stringWithString:@"Hello"]

I think NSString has a stringWithString method, but I can't verify it right now.
+stringWithString: will short-circuit to just using the argument directly in this case. -mutableCopy should get what he wants.
Catfish_Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming