Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Hi,

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a new 27" iMac with the following spec:

•3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
•8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
•1TB Fusion Drive
•NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5
•Apple Magic Mouse
•Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
•Accessory Kit

£1899

I'm studying with the Open University which means I've been able to get my previous iMac (2010 model) and iPad with educational discounts by ringing the education store.
I have recently started working for a new company who will not allow personal items to be delivered so I was wondering if you can claim the education discount in person at an Apple store?

...which leads me to my next couple of quick questions, are these available in store yet or just mail order at the moment? and what is the current going rate for University student discount, how much less than £1899 is it likely to be.

Thanks a lot,
Mark

Muzz112

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2009
United Kingdom
The model you've specified won't be available in store, only online or over the phone. It'll only be the base model that will be available in store, and fusion drive is BTO only. The current rate for Student discount is around 10%. That will drop around £200

Just get it delivered to your home address?

James

dhokes

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Hi,

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a new 27" iMac with the following spec:

•3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
•8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
•1TB Fusion Drive
•NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5
•Apple Magic Mouse
•Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
•Accessory Kit

£1899

I'm studying with the Open University which means I've been able to get my previous iMac (2010 model) and iPad with educational discounts by ringing the education store.
I have recently started working for a new company who will not allow personal items to be delivered so I was wondering if you can claim the education discount in person at an Apple store?

...which leads me to my next couple of quick questions, are these available in store yet or just mail order at the moment? and what is the current going rate for University student discount, how much less than £1899 is it likely to be.

Thanks a lot,
Mark

You can use this link to see the educational discounts available.

Also, if you order it online/over the phone, you receive 3 years warranty unlike in store.

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
The model you've specified won't be available in store, only online or over the phone. It'll only be the base model that will be available in store, and fusion drive is BTO only. The current rate for Student discount is around 10%. That will drop around £200

Just get it delivered to your home address?

James

I would if I worked from home...I live on my own so no one there to accept delivery at home...

What is BTO?

----------

You can use this link to see the educational discounts available.

Also, if you order it online/over the phone, you receive 3 years warranty unlike in store.

Thanks for the link....looks like just over £200 saving...

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
I would if I worked from home...I live on my own so no one there to accept delivery at home...

What is BTO?

Build To Order

----------

Thanks for the link....looks like just over £200 saving...

BTO = Build To Order

That link dhokes gave you may not relate to the Discount you get for being an Open University Student. There are different eligibilities, discount and benefits (such as 3 year warranty) so many folk quote inaccurate information. You need to check with the Apple Education store 0800 072 1154

For example

I teach in a Secondary School and get around 6% discount, as would my 14 year old daughter as a school student. I don't get a 3 year warranty on products bought online/phone

Another Teacher in my school is doing a University course and got a higher discount and the three year warranty included.

We both have ordered 27" iMacs by phone and neither of us as yet to provide details or any proof of eligibility. Should I have said I was on a University Course, I wonder !!!!!!

Last edited:

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
BTO = Build To Order

That link dhokes gave you may not relate to the Discount you get for being an Open University Student. There are different eligibilities, discount and benefits (such as 3 year warranty) so many folk quote inaccurate information. You need to check with the Apple Education store 0800 072 1154

For example

I teach in a Secondary School and get around 6% discount, as would my 14 year old daughter as a school student. I don't get a 3 year warranty on products bought online/phone

Another Teacher in my school is doing a University course and got a higher discount and the three year warranty included.

Thanks for that....looks like I will need to find someway to get it delivered then.
In the past (I've had 2 imacs and a macbook before) I've always been given the 3 year applecare for free so hopefully that means I still qualify for the higher level of discount, as you say I will need to ring to find out for sure.

If I could get an exact delivery date then I could arrange to take a day off to sit at home and wait but last time I ordered I eventually received a shipping notification with an expected date "or before" on it, which is no good for me...

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I usually get around 14%, just tell them you want to use it when you are checking out, they will look up the uni you are in in a big book and scan a code.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Never get uni discount in store, you throw away the free 3 year warranty you get from ordering online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.